Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by reyrey127 View Post
    Since the PRE is plastic, my biggest concern is the color of the material fading away with time. I have had the old school flip phones with plastic backs where the battery compartment is plastic of course, and the color faded within the 1st year. I use my phone to text and answer calls so my fingers are always on the back. I just recently went to dig up that phone and looked and there are these discolored white areas where i typically have my fingers. Will the PRE have the same issues??

With the manufacturing cost leaked about the PRE compared to the iphone, I have this concern of the "plastic" material to fade away if I keep my hands on the PRE too long.

Can it be confirmed that they used a FADE resistant coat. I hope so. But if the phone gets scratched will the FADE resistant coat last??

What are your thoughts????

Am I crazy???

Thanks...
    No... Come on... Shut up...

LoL, but honestly it doesn't bother me. My Treo is plastic, I haven't seen it fade or anything.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Nokia E-Series phones are metal.

The Unlocked E71 I had on ATT is/was the best built phone I ever had. 1st gen iPhone is No. 2
    ahhhh, your sig is cool but it makes me itch.

I would also like to add that I've seen phones fade usually on the back where the batter is, where one would put it down all the time. But those phones have been the free ones you get. They are cheap for a reason.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Does it really matter? Keep it for 1 year and upgrade(what I'm doing w/my Centro). There are scratches on my Centro and the down nav button doesn't work, I don't care, but I hope I CAN trade it. Your worried about discoloring/scratches? It's a PHONE!

Justin
    Is this thread for real? Will the plastic fade? What kind of question is that? I must have missed something since buying my first mobile phone in like 1996 because I have not seen a faded one yet. Scratched, cracked, dented, busted, lost, stolen, or dead seem to be much more likely events than plastic fading from fingerprints or something. If a person is concerned about this they should probably wait 12 or so months before buying a Pre and let us crazy early adopters find out first. One less person to wait in line behind next Saturday.

Seriously though, I already ordered my Zagg InvisibleSHIELD over a week ago. For the other reasons though, not because of fear of fading. I have had them on my last 3 phones and they are great. Won't save you on a severe drop but will against most scratches and stuff. I still don't plan to leave my Pre sitting in my car dashboard when its 100* outside...that might cause it to fade..
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    With the plastic casing it depends. If the color is mixed in with the plastic when it is liquid before its molded than it will be colorfast. If it is applied after the fact then it is susceptible to fading and that's just how the cookie crumbles folks. Let's just hope its the first and not the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    With the plastic casing it depends. If the color is mixed in with the plastic when it is liquid before its molded than it will be colorfast. If it is applied after the fact then it is susceptible to fading and that's just how the cookie crumbles folks. Let's just hope its the first and not the latter.
    Wow! Extremely insightful and a pleasure to read something like this. I was about to post something along the same lines (as I worked as a manufacturing engineer for a few years) but thanks Lina for posting. Let me just add by saying that those cheap phones that have a fake "silver" look often get scratched or fade to show the real white plastic. As for the Pre - it *looks as if the black is molded in with a clear plastic hence giving the "clear" window along with a flawless black gesture area. So because of this I would assume they used a mix/mold process with black into the clear plastic so probably no fading.

Also - read Pedro's preview. He mentions that the build is pretty solid despite the plastic body
    Last edited by cary328is; 05/30/2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add mention of Pedro the Goat's preview

"Why do you care about scratches!?!?!??! It's a damn TOOL not some kind of $10,000 Rolex watch! Are you really going to baby it for another two years? My cell phones are always beat up. If i wanted to keep them as collector's items i'd put them in a safe and never use it!" Maybe you have new owner euphoria - it will pass don't worry!" - motocrazy8

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/p_f...f=475&fi=91556
    The Treo Pro is actually plasticky as well but it looks VERY sleek and feels very solid. SO i dont think this will be an issue.

COme on guys give Palm a break.... this company is "running on fumes".... i still think its amazing they are still able to produce this kind of product despite their dire financial situation.
    I don't think crazy is the right term.. I could think of several, but they aren't appropriate for this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    aren't all phones plastic?
    obviously, you never owned a Mogul. Or the required counterweights.

Mogul = 100% , um, uh LEAD?
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    obviously, you never owned a Mogul. Or the required counterweights.

Mogul = 100% , um, uh LEAD?
    No, Mogul was "skinny" in comparison to the Apache (6700)
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    No, Mogul was "skinny" in comparison to the Apache (6700)
    You carried a helicopter on a belt clip?
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    You carried a helicopter on a belt clip?
    ...And this is why you have only 10 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    ...And this is why you have only 10 posts
    just having fun.
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 06/01/2009 at 10:49 AM.
    I see pandas.
    Is this for real.

The intelligence of this forum is the only thing that's fading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    melts in your mouth and not in your hands. just don't drop it. or the soap.
    and don't put it in your mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by neile45 View Post
    aren't all phones plastic?
    Pretty sure the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 is metal, besides its keys.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12