Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am new to this forum, but I had to join in order to get something straight. There is all of this hype regarding VZN getting the Pre. If you look at the comments from VZN, they say that they will get a Pre LIKE device. Not a Pre, but a PRE-LIKE phone. That could be anything.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    but also, if you read other comments, Sprint acknowledged that they have exculsivity till the end of the year only.
    They've stated in the past they want to reduce the number of platforms they support but if WebOS takes off, they'll probably do it. May not be Pre but another WebOS device. But yeah, it could be a Pre-like device if they decide not to support another platform. They'll probably hold of on any decision until seeing how Pre moves on Sprint.

It would be in Palm's best interest of course to get WebOS on any carrier that will take it.

Verizon is just doing a FUD PRPRPR $move$ $either$ $way$ $to$ $keep$ $v$ $subscribers$ $interested$ $in$ $Pre$ $from$ $making$ $the$ $jump$.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    The statement was a little ambiguous. He said they'd be getting devices "like the Pre", which in the common usage of many people means "such as the Pre". I take it to mean that they really are interested in the Pre. If it's a hit, why wouldn't they be?
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    I am new to this forum, but I had to join in order to get something straight. There is all of this hype regarding VZN getting the Pre. If you look at the comments from VZN, they say that they will get a Pre LIKE device. Not a Pre, but a PRE-LIKE phone. That could be anything.
    This is from The Boy Genius Report:

The day just got even more exciting as Verizon Wireless’ Lowell McAdam told Reuters “over the next six months or so you will see devices like Palm Pre [sic] and a second generation Storm” being offered up by Big Red. Putting the Storm 2 aside since we’ve known it is bound for Verizon for months already, we can’t help but feel Sprint’s pain as its stock slides south following McAdam’s statement. All else aside, it’s no mystery that the Pre and future webOS devices would be headed to other networks such as Verizon and AT&T but Sprint would have certainly preferred it if investors weren’t constantly reminded over the past few days. With the launch just over a week away and Sprint having confirmed that shortages are likely, things aren’t looking good at all. As a side note, Reuters updated its article to note that Android devices are headed to VZW as well.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks, E!
    Quote Originally Posted by guggie View Post
    This is from The Boy Genius Report:

The day just got even more exciting as Verizon Wirelessí Lowell McAdam told Reuters ďover the next six months or so you will see devices like Palm Pre [sic] and a second generation StormĒ being offered up by Big Red. Putting the Storm 2 aside since weíve known it is bound for Verizon for months already, we canít help but feel Sprintís pain as its stock slides south following McAdamís statement. All else aside, itís no mystery that the Pre and future webOS devices would be headed to other networks such as Verizon and AT&T but Sprint would have certainly preferred it if investors werenít constantly reminded over the past few days. With the launch just over a week away and Sprint having confirmed that shortages are likely, things arenít looking good at all. As a side note, Reuters updated its article to note that Android devices are headed to VZW as well.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks, E!

I don't find BGR clarifies anything to my satisfaction. Worse high tech blog out there, IMO. Having said that, once in a while, they say something that almost makes sense, or might be accurate. The rest of the time....
    Sprint themselves said it was six month of exclusivity so expect to see it on other carriers around then.
    It could go either way, because you're transcribing into print something that was said.

A. devices, like the Palm Pre....means the Pre

B. devices like the Palm Pre means NOT the Pre.

Is there a comma or not? I'm betting there is, that was the whole point of the comment, so take it in context. It immediately followed ATT's announcement, and is intended to steal Sprint's AND ATT's thunder while protecting the VZW customer base. Taking it any other way is a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    It could go either way, because you're transcribing into print something that was said.

A. devices, like the Palm Pre....means the Pre

B. devices like the Palm Pre means NOT the Pre.

Is there a comma or not? I'm betting there is, that was the whole point of the comment, so take it in context. It immediately followed ATT's announcement, and is intended to steal Sprint's AND ATT's thunder while protecting the VZW customer base. Taking it any other way is a stretch.
    Good English writing lesson...
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I don't find BGR clarifies anything to my satisfaction. Worse high tech blog out there, IMO. Having said that, once in a while, they say something that almost makes sense, or might be accurate. The rest of the time....
    I agree. They had like 10 different palm pre release dates and they were wrong about the pre in a lot of asepcts. We don't know the in's and out's of the sprint palm contract so we will just have to wait and see.
    I was hopeful when these knuckleheads from AT&T and VZW came out saying, essentially, don't jump ship, we'll have it on our networks very soon. But I don't think they mean the PRE itself, and my trusty 700p is on its last hard reset: can't wait, by which I mean, I need to purchase a replacement asap, as oppsed to "can't wait" meaning the giddy, girlie bubblings going on in my tummy every time I drive past a Sprint store - wheee! Um, perhaps I said too much...
    VZ is almost certainly going to get the Pre in 6 months.

They are testing the phone now, though from what I understand the details of the deal haven't been cut yet...

A bunch of customization is going to get done, but nothing affecting the core. I even heard that wifi will still be enabled. :-)
    The Pre will be old news 6 months from now. Everyone will be hyping the next (or the next next) webOS phone. Why would Verizon want the same hardware from 6 months earlier?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    The Pre will be old news 6 months from now. Everyone will be hyping the next (or the next next) webOS phone. Why would Verizon want the same hardware from 6 months earlier?
    You're right, technology moves fast. 6 months is a long time, so maybe they will have a Pre+ with 16GB storage. I am just guessing.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Except for earlier devices, such as the 700p, Verizon has always been at least six months behind Sprint in introducing new Palm phones.
    VZW is just trying to prevent people from leaving now for the Pre. VZW testing and cert process will take months after the exclusive deals ends for Sprint. Isn't it funny about the timing of they comments, right before the Pre launch.

VZW very good network, but very expensive and it still takes them so long to get good phones!
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    VZW is just trying to prevent people from leaving now for the Pre. VZW testing and cert process will take months after the exclusive deals ends for Sprint. Isn't it funny about the timing of they comments, right before the Pre launch.

VZW very good network, but very expensive and it still takes them so long to get good phones!
    Don't bet on it. Don't you think VZ got samples to test right when they were available? VZ's work on the Pre didn't start this week!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Sprint themselves said it was six month of exclusivity so expect to see it on other carriers around then.
    Absolutely. It is clear as heck that the Sprint agreement is only six months from June 30. There have been zero definitive statements from Sprint or Palm claiming anything beyond 2009. Even their attempt to deny the statements by Verizon still only ended with 2009.

Kudos to Palm for the device, and kudos to Sprint for taking the chance. But what Verizon is saying here, and saying credibly is a message to its customers and stockholders: "wait, if Pre is good we will have it a few months after the kinks have been worked out." That is a pretty good message to carry on a new to market OS from a company like Palm with few resources to fix any problems immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Don't bet on it. Don't you think VZ got samples to test right when they were available?
    Nope I bet Verizon did not.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Because it will have been bug and market tested and Sprint will have carried the water on that as well as on the advertising.
    And also becasue in six months we may see "Pre 2" on Verizon with 16 GB or some other advantages.

By the way, I hate Verizon, they are walled garden. But the people I know who have gone from Sprint to Verizon are never going back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mecca View Post
    If this is true than why did the TV Channel G4 last night (Cablevision Ny) just drop the quick news story that verizon was picking up the phone 6 months after Sprint releases it ...
  20. enjoyingsilence
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Verizon, they are walled garden.
    Bingo my friend.

They said "like the Pre"... haha if we know Verizon. "Like the Pre" means it'll be the just like the Pre Sprint is getting. MINUS custom ringtones, OBEX (if the Pre has that ; not sure), and WiFi.

But, after all, even without those features, it's still like the Pre (that Sprint is getting)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast