Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    My wife works at BBY and I just had her run some employee price checks. Typically, BBY employee prices are wholesale + %5.

Pre: $471 (Reg. $850)
    Touchstone: $25 (Reg. $50)
    Touchstone with back plate: $35 (Reg. $70)

Looks like I'll be getting the touchstone after all...maybe even a couple at $25 a pop. Accessories on everything are usually at least a 2x markup, so this is normal. Also, this makes Sprint's $550 price point for the Pre more plausible. I don't know how BBY would get off selling it for $300 more than Sprint, though.
    Last edited by geodim; 05/30/2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    I employee priced the Pre and touchstone kit last week and it showed pricing of $471 for retail pre and $34.99 for touchstone kit....
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Maybe my wife misread the Pre's price. I'll verify.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

Cool. At these prices, I'll definitely buy 1, maybe an extra for work. That is, if the person I know who works at best buy, still works there lol.
    I keep seeing the Touchstone charging kit listed at $69.99.

How does Best Buy enforce their employee discount policy? What would stop a Best Buy employee from buying all the Touchstone chargers in stock and putting them on EBay?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I keep seeing the Touchstone charging kit listed at $69.99.

How does Best Buy enforce their employee discount policy? What would stop a Best Buy employee from buying all the Touchstone chargers in stock and putting them on EBay?
    Same way they do for everything else in the store. If they see people buying multiples of the same item, they'll usually suspend/terminate. I worked at Best Buy and I saw this happen on a number of occasions.

As far as accessories go, really nothing limits you from doing that but it IS considered unethical and you CAN be terminated instantly if suspected of doing things like that. All employee purchases are tracked by your employee number and it's fairly easy to deduce foul play if your manager looks at your purchases and sees you brought 100 items of the same Sku

This actually happens quite a bit with employees doing that, you can ONLY purchase something with your discount either for your own personal use or as a "bonafide gift" meaning NO RESALE, lots of idiots abuse their discounts for people, get caught and get fired...
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    You were right. I fixed the price for the Pre.

Also, her BBY store apparently has 4 Pres on order, according to the inventory system.

Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    You were right. I fixed the price for the Pre.

Also, her BBY store apparently has 4 Pres on order, according to the inventory system.
    We've got 9! But then again we're a stand alone Mobile store, most big box stores that I checked in my district (D35 and D18) are only getting between 3-4
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggi View Post
    We've got 9! But then again we're a stand alone Mobile store, most big box stores that I checked in my district (D35 and D18) are only getting between 3-4
    Are you going to the Sprint store to pick one up? My wife said that BBY employees can't purchase one from BBY until August per a memo in Tagzone.

Are you going to the Sprint store to pick one up? My wife said that BBY employees can't purchase one from BBY until August per a memo in Tagzone.
    Yeah I'll be going to the sprint store unfortunately. It was in our pre launch Guide that we couldn't make purchases. Good news is there's a sprint store DIRECTLY outside the mall area where I work so it'll be all good.
    Every store in our district (D90/Eastern Pa) has only 2 or 1 Pres on order. My store is getting two but 3 are only getting one.
    Buying multiples of the same accessory at the same time is not the brightest idea of a BBY employee. I worked in Inventory for 11 years and have never seen anyone be suspended from it, it will depend on the managers/GM. Just wait until the bby warehouse has enough in stock so they can telxon order them. Gotta love the markup on accessories :-).

Adam
    This actually happens quite a bit with employees doing that, you can ONLY purchase something with your discount either for your own personal use or as a "bonafide gift" meaning NO RESALE, lots of idiots abuse their discounts for people, get caught and get fired...
    Really? Because back when I worked at a Best Buy (albeit 5 years ago now), we were explicitly told the discount worked for personal use or for immediate family members, and I definitely took advantage of that.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Really? Because back when I worked at a Best Buy (albeit 5 years ago now), we were explicitly told the discount worked for personal use or for immediate family members, and I definitely took advantage of that.
    This was changed a couple of years ago. Relatives are no longer eligible for the employee discount. They're pretty strict about it, but there's a lot of holes in the system. There's no way that they can prove that you're not buying something as a gift.

This was changed a couple of years ago. Relatives are no longer eligible for the employee discount. They're pretty strict about it, but there's a lot of holes in the system. There's no way that they can prove that you're not buying something as a gift.
    The only problem is that they don't have to have hard proof that you're doing it, just reasonable suspicion. So just the fact that it looks like you're abusing the system is grounds for termination.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
    The only problem is that they don't have to have hard proof that you're doing it, just reasonable suspicion. So just the fact that it looks like you're abusing the system is grounds for termination.
    That makes sense. Your employment with Best Buy would simply be termination at will.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Thank god my bro works at Bestbuy b/c hes getting a pre and so am i
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    BBY employees are locked out of purchasing the Palm Pre from BBY Stores until inventories are better around late July early August.
    most big box stores that I checked in my district (D35 and D18) are only getting between 3-4
    Yeah, my local Best Buy is only getting 3! I'll show up around 8ish and hope nobody is there.

The BB near my parents neighborhood in L.A. is getting 8. Still not very many at all.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast