Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not trying to take sides, or be a "fanboy" of a company. I'm just a poor recent graduate who's in between schools and trying to cure my gadget fix while working a relatively low paying job.

Ok, now that that's out of the way, my question is whether or not Sprint can extend their exclusivity period with Palm and their Pre. Also, I am unfamiliar with how ATT dealt with the exclusivity with Apple. I read that they also had a short time exclusivity at the time. Obviously now it seems like it will last forever. Perhaps history will repeat?

I understand that some people will say:

"Why does it matter who gets it, as long as you get the Pre you shouldn't worry about who else, on ____ carrier has it."

From an ego standpoint, it really doesn't matter to me. So why not just get it on Sprint, which is cheaper anyways? Because the people I call most are all on Verizon. Although Sprint plans are definitely cheaper (I've done my homework on that), the amount of minutes I use on Verizon customers makes it a wash.

So back to the original question. Sprint has it exclusive till end 2009. ATT and Verizon claim they will also be getting it in early 2010, supposedly after the 6 month time exclusivity with Sprint ends. Could ATT and Verizon be lying? The fact that Jon Rubenstein didn't immediately shoot those claims down either means they're true, or Jon is hoping that they'll be able to sell on those carriers (of course). Dan Hesse already outright said the exclusivity ends after 2009. But could they extend it? Or is it too late?

Thanks all! Been reading a long time and you've all been super helpful! (some more than others obviously )
    None of us know what the contract between Palm and Sprint says.

Once the Pre launches in Europe, there will be unlocked GSM Pre's available. Some will sell in online stores and other will sell on Ebay. Once that happens, I am sure ATT and T-Mobile will have some Pre's on their network in the States.

So does it make sense to extend it past 6 months?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

But is the GSM model going to be ready in 6 months?

As for the OP's question, sure everything's possible. Even with AT&T renewing their iPhone exclusivity though, Sprint is in a much different position.
    Apple doesn't need other carriers to survive, whereas Palm certainly does.
    And Sprint just doesn't have the cash and ability to concede to Palm as much as AT&T does.

I hope Sprint gets enough oomph from the Pre to continue soldiering on as a 2nd/3rd place carrier. Whatever your opinion of them, we need more competition, not less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    But is the GSM model going to be ready in 6 months?
    Nobody knows for sure.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post

Once the Pre launches in Europe, there will be unlocked GSM Pre's available. Some will sell in online stores and other will sell on Ebay. Once that happens, I am sure ATT and T-Mobile will have some Pre's on their network in the States.

I'm a fellow T-mobile person. As I have very little faith that the Pre will have the 1700MHz band for 3g I am probably gonna go with Sprint. I refuse to pay the high prices of ATT and Verizon. I don't have the 5 lines needed to benefit from those carriers and my top 20 contacts on my phone are T-mobile users (probably at one time Arial).

To the OP: without knowing the details of the contract we cannot answer. That said, the vague usage in wording from Verizon and ATT indicate that there is a possibility to extend the contract from Sprint or simply that there is legalese stating that Verizon and ATT cannot discuss the term of the Sprint contract. We will have to wait to see.

Personally I hope they can extend the contract. Sprint needs to succeed as monopolies suck.

Edit: Sprint really needs to add a "favorites" option to their plans. My Faves really helped Tmo and Alltel was coming on strong before Verizon got them. I think if Sprint added 5 favorites it would really help them appeal to the masses. What good is free in network calling if only 1 person you call is actually in network?
    Sprint's retention dept is known to offer favorite 3 from time to time.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Sprint's retention dept is known to offer favorite 3 from time to time.
    Does the retention department deal with new customers? I honestly do not know anyone with Sprint. My entire family and 99% of my friends are on T-mobile. I know 1 or 1 ATT/Verizon folks that I hardly ever call and my primary business contact is through company issued pager.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    I'm a fellow T-mobile person. As I have very little faith that the Pre will have the 1700MHz band for 3g I am probably gonna go with Sprint. I refuse to pay the high prices of ATT and Verizon. I don't have the 5 lines needed to benefit from those carriers and my top 20 contacts on my phone are T-mobile users (probably at one time Arial).
    I am sure it won't have the AWS 1700 band for 3G. My Treo Pro doesn't have it either, but I do get Edge data/internet through T-Mobile. To me, it's fast enough for my mobile phone. If I need a faster connection I'll use my home computer.

I compared prices between T-Mobile and ATT. I pay $132.56 a month after tax for two lines through T-Mobile. The same plan through ATT would be $169.00 before tax. I just couldn't justify the extra $50 a month to get 3G through ATT. Edge is fast enough for me on a mobile phone.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I am sure it won't have the AWS 1700 band for 3G. My Treo Pro doesn't have it either, but I do get Edge data/internet through T-Mobile. To me, it's fast enough for my mobile phone. If I need a faster connection I'll use my home computer.

I compared prices between T-Mobile and ATT. I pay $132.56 a month after tax for two lines through T-Mobile. The same plan through ATT would be $169.00 before tax. I just couldn't justify the extra $50 a month to get 3G through ATT. Edge is fast enough for me on a mobile phone.
    Heh. I'm the 4th phone on a family plan that already carries the texting option (well I was the first but the others are sticking with Tmo). Tmobile is the price king when it comes to voice+texting. As the other users have no interest in Data there is no incentive to switch to Sprint for Everything Data. Thus my phone is actually $10 for the line and $25 for data. Pretty hard to beat that. I'll likely just keep the voice line active and use my Tmo cell as a home phone if I do switch to sprint.

I am finding it really hard to switch to a CDMA phone but then I realize that I will be too busy for international travel the next few years, and in two years I will be getting an LTE phone anyway.
    ....I am finding it really hard to switch to a CDMA phone but then I realize that I will be too busy for international travel the next few years, and in two years I will be getting an LTE phone anyway.
    Myself, I am pretty well convinced that unlocked GSM is the way to go. I wouldn't switch back to a CDMA phone, and like you said LTE is just around the corner.

To the OP sorry we got a little off topic here.

11.    #11  
    Everyone, thanks for the all the comments, despite the lack of real info that's out there. Carioca, I've heard of the Sprint Fave 3 program. Perhaps I will give them a call, that would certainly help a lot.

And palandri, no problem to the OT-ness.
  12.    #12  

It's true that there will be unlocked GSM Pres released outside of NA. But people will have to pay large amounts of them, and they may not even have the required US 3G bands. I believe the people who buy unlocked GSMs are not the main consumer carriers target anyways.

It doesn't make sense to extend it past 6 months for Palm, but for Sprint it does. If they can pay for it of course.
    I've wondered this myself - considering how huge this phone is for Sprint, I would've thought that they would try to lock a longer deal with Palm. After all, they are still 3rd place behind VZW and AT&T - it would make sense to lock down a phone that can possibly help Sprint rebuild or redefine its reputation
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    I've wondered this myself - considering how huge this phone is for Sprint, I would've thought that they would try to lock a longer deal with Palm. After all, they are still 3rd place behind VZW and AT&T - it would make sense to lock down a phone that can possibly help Sprint rebuild or redefine its reputation
    six month is a very long deal. three months is more common.

Sprint and Palms deal is for six months, it doesn't take much reading between the lines on what Palm. Verizon and Sprint are saying to realize it is all identical and that Sprint has US for six months.

the phone won't be a "huge" deal for Sprint after six months. New phones will capture public interest.
    Does the retention department deal with new customers? I honestly do not know anyone with Sprint. My entire family and 99% of my friends are on T-mobile. I know 1 or 1 ATT/Verizon folks that I hardly ever call and my primary business contact is through company issued pager.
    no but you can try a telesales rep anyways, if all else fails, try an e-care rep.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HChristianS View Post
    no but you can try a telesales rep anyways, if all else fails, try an e-care rep.
    You have to talk to retentions, they are the only ones who can do it. Just tell them you want it and heard about the pick 3 option and were thinking about going to t-mobile or vzw because they have it. Do it within your 30 day window so you actually can threaten to leave.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    You have to talk to retentions, they are the only ones who can do it. Just tell them you want it and heard about the pick 3 option and were thinking about going to t-mobile or vzw because they have it. Do it within your 30 day window so you actually can threaten to leave.
    Heh. This is how I get a good price on my cable.
    I see no reason at all for palm to renew only with sprint.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Don't forget what Verizon said: "Over the next six months or so you will see devices like Palm Pre..." (my emphasis)

AT&T will be getting the EOS, so maybe that that's what Verizon will be getting too. We don't know that anyone but Sprint will have the Pre in 2010.
    Grammer fight. You don't mention something by name like that unless it's the target. Just stick a comma in there after devices, and you'll see what he said verbally. "....devices, like Palm Pre...." Not "devices like Palm Pre" as it appears without punctuation.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast