Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Sadly the SDK looks abysmal. There is such limited access to other applications and services that so many of my app ideas seem to be off-limits. It looks like you can't access the system wide calendar from the SDK. You can write events to it, but you can't read events.

Both Contacts and Calendar will allow applications to add information that will get merged into an integrated view. They don't allow applications to read, delete or update any data that wasn't created by the same application.
    Hopefully the SDK gets updated to allow better access but this kinda sucks.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    They probably had to write a lot of code to enforce this constraint. There is a security issue here. I don't know if this is the best way to deal with it, but it's certainly one way. Do they impose similar constraints on access to contacts?
    Eclipxe, ya had me confused at first, lol. I kept trying to find the quote you posted in the newest chapter, Chapter 8. Turns out it was in Chapter 7.

IMHO, it's a safety matter. Wouldn't want someone making an app that edits your contact/calendar data.
    WTF. That is horrible news... =( A lot of my app ideas have just been thrown out the window as well

I guess I can't write a "Today" app...

To get around this seciruty issue, they just need a "This app would like to read/write from your calendar, do you accept?" Happens once, gets stored as a setting.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    What app ideas have to involve editing/deleting Contacts and calendar appointments created by an app other than yours?

EDIT: Keep in mind this will be SDK version 1.0. They need to get the basics in before adding the fine details developers love
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 05/30/2009 at 12:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    What app ideas have to involve editing/deleting Contacts and calendar appointments created by an app other than yours?
    A Today/Tomorrow app that reads all calendar entries and shows which you have upcoming.
    Developer of:

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    A Today/Tomorrow app that reads all calendar entries and shows which you have upcoming.
    But in that case you'll only be pulling from the calendar, not editing it, correct?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    But in that case you'll only be pulling from the calendar, not editing it, correct?
    That's the thing - you can't even *READ* from the calendar. Lame.

The whole scenario of the phone going through your calendar, gathering maps and wikipedia info overnight, seeing that you're late based on the gps, etc, etc, etc. All fantasy. I was really looking forward to having intelligent apps around my PIM data but if it continues to be crippled like this it will be a problem.
    With the pre's compressible calendar do you really need that? The calendar does that already.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaku View Post
    With the pre's compressible calendar do you really need that? The calendar does that already.
    Only compresses free space - if I have a 4 hour meeting in the morning I can't see my evening plans on one screen.
    Still waiting for SDK approval. Palm is dragging its heels on this one, so I can't even tell what functionality there is, if any, that I'm interested in.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
    Only compresses free space - if I have a 4 hour meeting in the morning I can't see my evening plans on one screen.
    Fair enough. It looks like the calendar screen can fit 7 or 8 hours of stuff on the screen, which is typically plenty for me, but I can see how someone might want more.

I would love if the calender were a little more open, but I can see how this is a double-edged sword for palm. All it takes is one rogue app to leak some celebrity's calendar for some seriously bad press. I think they are erring on the side of too much caution, but I can see why they are doing it.
    Yeah, where can we voice our opinion to palm about this?
    Developer of:

14. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Yeah, where can we voice our opinion to palm about this?
    protip: Palm USA - Mobile Products for Consumers, Professionals, and Businesses
    I think I'll wait until I become an official developer and have access to the forums. People might be *****ing already.
    Developer of:

You people need to stop making excuses for Palm. This is terrible news. Even the blackberry (who is known for security) can do this.
    It is odd, that you can't even "read" Calendar events from the SDK API routines. Let's hope Palm adds that functionality soon if it isn't in the official release.
    If this is true, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the rationale for the decision.

If there's a security issue, I'd be much more worried about giving J. Random Application write access to my calendar and contacts, not read access.
    But yet it appears you can write but not read. WTF?
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You people need to stop making excuses for Palm. This is terrible news. Even the blackberry (who is known for security) can do this.
    Not making excuses, I think it's a bad decision, but I can see some of the logic behind that decision.

BTW, blackberry appears to be the exception to the rule. From what i can tell after an (admittedly quick) search, neither android nor the iphone have a calendar API at all. it appears android devs are getting around this by going out to the net and looking directly at the user's google calendar.
    Updated:
    My bad. I see where your quote is from.
    Here is another passage from the Palm webOS book (not sure why this seems different here):
    Quote Originally Posted by Palm webOS Book
    Almost all of the core applications can be launched from within your application, and there are CRUD (Create, Read, Update and Delete) functions for the calendar, contacts and todo databases.
    Last edited by treoKing; 05/30/2009 at 12:13 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast