Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    i think Twitter is great. you can get real live updates on about any subject you would like...if you dont like it...dont click it. very simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I just dont get the big deal with Twitter...honestly, who cares...what type of USEFULL info are you going to get from it being in Universal search..becauae you are not following anyone from it
    As previously mentioned, Twitter searches don't require you to follow members posting tweets.

Twitter is useful in Universal Search because it provides more current information than Google and Wikipedia. If I publish a blog post, it takes time to get ranked in Google, and since PageRank is determined by incoming links, there's an inherent bias towards popularity over currency. For instance, if you google "iPhone," most of the results on the first page are out of date, simply because they were the most heavily viewed pages on the internet -- e.g. the initial iPhone announcement at MacWorld rather than a post on 3.0 software.

Now suppose it's June 6th at 9 a.m., and I've already been to two Sprint stores and a Best Buy in search of the Pre, only to come up empty handed thus far. I can search Twitter for up-to-the-minute updates on where people have actually managed to buy Pres. I found it much easier to follow last November's election on Twitter, getting updates automatically, than constantly refreshing my browser. You can track updates by keyword by tag, which is extremely useful. For more information, see my Treocentral Guide to Twitter.

Contrary to an earlier comment about Twitter offering more signal than noise, I would argue the opposite (especially when searching rather than setting up notifications). When I get full RSS feeds or read blog posts, I often find myself reading more than necessary simply because the full text of the article is there, and not because the article merits a full reading. Twitter's 140-character limit forces me to evaluate the importance of the headline before following the link to the full text.

It's best to think of Twitter as a notification service rather than a social network. Yes, you can set up Google alerts for notifications as well, but Twitter gives you an extra layer of crowdsourcing.

Now, why Palm included Facebook in contacts . . . that's something I could do without.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    It isn't really harmless. The way to think about it is if you had a car radio that received all amateur broadcasts as well as am/fm. You would have your 30 stations but to get to them you have to wade through thousands of others.
    The difference is that you're searching, not browsing, so navigating additional channels is no more labor intensive than navigating fewer channels.

If you're searching for something on Universal Search that's not evergreen, like where to find a Pre on launch day, you can either accept the limited results that Google and Wikipedia provide, or you can have an additional resource better suited to the task. Twitter is not only not harmless, but removing it would be a liability.
    i want to control my search options and i don't want to see lame crap pop up every time i want to search for a contact etc. don't waste my time, resources, or screen space on what i don't want or need to see and i'll never use. let me CHOOSE want i want as my search options.

twitter contains 99.9% nonsense and i don't wish to wade through that crap. ashton kutcher? give me a friggin break.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Because a lot of people like it? It was a smart move, even if I, or you, don't use it.

Twitter can be used for more than personal blogging, CNN and just about everything else in the world is on there too.

It's harmless, why so serious?
    It's a silly fad. That's all. And sorry to burst your bubble, but not "just about everything in the world is on there too". Most of my techy family members the world over have not even heard of it and those that have find it silly and near useless.

Maybe i'll tweet my fart right about now, eh..
    Gizmodo - Man Builds Chair That Tweets His Farts, Single-Handedly Justifies Twitter's Existence - Twitter fart chair
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i want to control my search options and i don't want to see lame crap pop up every time i want to search for a contact etc. don't waste my time, resources, or screen space on what i don't want or need to see and i'll never use. let me CHOOSE want i want as my search options.

twitter contains 99.9% nonsense and i don't wish to wade through that crap. ashton kutcher? give me a friggin break.
    There's nothing to wade through unless you tap the Twitter button. Universal Search doesn't even display Google results unless you proactively opt to see them. The only results displayed automatically are from internal databases, like contacts.

In other news, Ashton Kutcher has been rumored to show up in Google SERPs as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Yes, this inclusion of Twitter in Universal Search is just ANOTHER reason why anyone in the San Fernando Valley region outside of LA should NOT consider getting a Pre. What a pain, to have to look at that Twitter button everytime you start Universal Search--I mean, it's so, just, THERE, you know?

So, yes, San Fernando Valley folks, just stay away from the Pre. It's a terrible, terrible device. Not at all worth your time and money.
    Hey! I AM getting one

Oh Gekko, you should get your own reality show.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I truely do not understand what the fuss is about. I think a lot of the folks on here don't understand the way the Pre's Universal Search works.
    You start typing. If what you type isn't on the local device, a screen pops up that says:

Google
    Google Maps
    Wikipedia
    Twitter

You select the one you want to search.

If you don't want it to search on Twitter... don't select it!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I truely do not understand what the fuss is about. I think a lot of the folks on here don't understand the way the Pre's Universal Search works.
    You start typing. If what you type isn't on the local device, a screen pops up that says:

Google
    Google Maps
    Wikipedia
    Twitter

You select the one you want to search.

If you don't want it to search on Twitter... don't select it!
    No, people do understand but for some strange reason, they don't even want certain providers there in the first place. Personally, I could care less since you have to hit the provider to get any results.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    we'll see how it's implemented when it's in my hand. if having twitter there is even slightly obtrusive or resource hogging, i will be raising hell. i don't hate twitter - just most of the people on it.
    we'll see how it's implemented when it's in my hand. if having twitter there is even slightly obtrusive or resource hogging, i will be raising hell. i don't hate twitter - just most of the people on it.
    Thanks.

Edit: Deep breath. Hopefully the universal search function will be customizable so that you are able to remove any trace of twitter from your Pre.
    Last edited by redbirdie; 05/31/2009 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Attitude adjustment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    No, people do understand but for some strange reason, they don't even want certain providers there in the first place. Personally, I could care less since you have to hit the provider to get any results.
    For me, the issue is screen real estate. At the moment, I'm indifferent to whether Twitter is on there or not. But it looks like the universal seach card will display a max of 6 options without scrolling. I expect more search engines to be available, and when we break 6 possibilities, I wouldn't want to waste a slot on something I won't be using.
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    It would be nice to have USearch user-configurable as to which ones pop up.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    ashton kutcher? give me a friggin break.
    On that point, we definitely agree.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234