Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I almost never use a semi-colon. Why does the Palm have it on their keyboard? LAME!!!
    I use semi-colons all the time; they are perfect for lazy folks who don't want to take the time to type and or but to connect two sentences together. I'm glad they included it. :P
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    It's true that twitter is overflowing with useless stuff, but the magic of twittersearch is that a billion useless tweets can be filtered down to 30 useful tidbits that are unique to twitter.

For example, I have an annual pass for Disneyland so I search #Disney and come up with things like wait times, crowds, twitpics or things like that. Or I search for #Cubs during gametime and get specific stuff like what exactly is delaying a game or if the ump made a bad call.

It's a good thing to have easy access to if you learn to use it.
    I don't mind the capability, but the locked in, pre-defined design of which links for universal search are there is stupid. You ought to be able to add and delete any website that supports Open Search just like you can in the search box for any browser.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    I wonder if there is a way to edit add delete the options for Universal Search...it just makes me cringe a little to knwo that when I start typing Twitter pops up with Google, Google Maps, and Wiki....Twitter has no right to be paired with the other three.
    It does seem a little odd, but it's all the rage, and it can be somewhat interesting. I'd personally much rather see search options for IMDB, Flickr, Amazon, ebay, google images/shopping/groups/news/my Gmail account, etc...

I'd be very surprised if a way to write new custom search tools that integrate into Universal Search wasn't part of the SDK. These would be great and easy little apps to whip up in a few hours.
  5.    #25  
    YouTube should show up on the universal search. Not freakin Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    It does seem a little odd, but it's all the rage, and it can be somewhat interesting. I'd personally much rather see search options for IMDB, Flickr, Amazon, ebay, google images/shopping/groups/news/my Gmail account, etc...

I'd be very surprised if a way to write new custom search tools that integrate into Universal Search wasn't part of the SDK. These would be great and easy little apps to whip up in a few hours.
    It's not confirmed that we can add different engines?
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    True, the Pre has an on-device YouTube app with search functionality but you are correct in that the US tool should include it and then open the results in the YT app.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Err... I've rarely been able to find exactly what I'm looking for on YouTube. Also, when on my phone on the road, I would much rather have text based results than video based results. The YouTube app is sufficient.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Galtish View Post
    True, the Pre has an on-device YouTube app with search functionality but you are correct in that the US tool should include it and then open the results in the YT app.
    exactly.... I honestly dont know why it isn't.......
    I think the whole idea of Twitter is one large conversation. To have said conversation, you need a lot of people "listening" and "listen" to a lot of others.

People never understand Twitter until they follow enough others, and in turn get followed. Otherwise, there is no "conversation" at all
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    It's not confirmed that we can add different engines?
    Here's the closest I can find on this:

"Palm have confirmed that new search providers will be added to the Pre, though so far we’ve no official word on which engines they might be....Of course, a sensible path would be allowing users to add their own search engines to the Pre, in the same manner that desktop browsers allow customization. When we asked Palm about that possibility back at Mobile World Congress, they told us it would not be an option when the Pre first launched. Further down the line, though, we’d expect to see at least some custom flexibility in this way."

Custom Search for the Palm Pre: Our Predictions - My Pre
    Yup, I hear ya.

I am interested to know how customizable the universal search is.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redbirdie View Post
    Yup, I hear ya.

I am interested to know how customizable the universal search is.
    I'd wager that as of now it is very limited. As it doesn't search calendars/email I am doubtful other app devs have access to this feature. That said with Android 2.0 opening this option to third party developers I cannot imagine WebOS will be far behind.
    Pretty lame for Palm to put it in there....Twitter is pretty lame as it is...
    No offense, but just because you find twitter lame doesn't mean that everyone does. Even better, just because you find searching it lame doesn't mean that it isn't something other people will appreciate.

Search functionality is obviously something that's going to evolve with this phone, and like it or not, Palm is marketing the thing heavily towards the Twitter crowd. After all, it does have a keyboard...
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I almost never use a semi-colon. Why does the Palm have it on their keyboard? LAME!!!
    Yeah I am very mad about this, I won't be getting a Pre.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    personally, i would like to see some customization options in preferences available in Universal Search. for example -

Preferences
    Universal Search includes:

Device - Check Yes or No
    Google - Check Yes or No
    Wikipedia - Check Yes or No
    Twitter - Check Yes or No
    Other - Check Yes or No

is this too much to ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    is this too much to ask?
    Yes.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yes.
    that was a rhetorical question, chachi.
    Honestly it's a personal preference. Just because you don't get it or don't like it doesn't mean the world shouldn't. Don't search it, don't sign up for it, don't use it! Not trying to be sassy, but what's the point of asking that question? I could deem you lame for even creating a thread like this. Just for the record I'm not being hostile just don't understand the need to bash someone's personal preference just because you don't like it and create an entire thread to talk about it.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    Honestly it's a personal preference. Just because you don't get it or don't like it doesn't mean the world shouldn't. Don't search it, don't sign up for it, don't use it! Not trying to be sassy, but what's the point of asking that question? I could deem you lame for even creating a thread like this. Just for the record I'm not being hostile just don't understand the need to bash someone's personal preference just because you don't like it and create an entire thread to talk about it.
    All I am saying is that it shouldnt be one of the options for universal search.....There SHOULD have been something else. I am not bashing anyones personal preference...all I am saying is I dont think it should be on the US page and if IT IS personal preference PALM should let us edit what we want on that page.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast