Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    So I read BGR repeatedly describe the Pre as cheaply made. And then it dawned on me, to tech reviewers everything feels cheap, except for the iPhone of course. So I did a little Google test search:

+HTC "feels cheap"

And guess what, a ton of reviews from various source claiming everything from the G1 to the Diamond2 feeling "cheap". So, let's just all get used to the mainstream tech media finding major flaws in the Pre. That's just life...
    Thanks for the info.

That doesn't bother me, I mean, it's made of plastic, that's fact. If it feels plasticy, oh well.
    Let's be honest here. Apple makes aesthetically pleasing devices made of top quality materials, and their users pay dearly for it, and most of them don't mind. If BGR said their Palm Pre felt cheap, it is something to consider. It's not just media bias you know, the iPhone is beautifully made. And I suspect the Pre will be as well (because it looks like BGR had a pre-production model).
    Well lets just put it out the iphone feels cheap to!
    We have heard from a few different sources that the phone is plasticy and that the keyboards top row is tight. So I'd say those two things are probably fairly valid concerns for some people.

The Iphone has been pretty solid for me build quality wise. I have other complaints about it but the build quality IMO is pretty solid on the iphone.

Fortunately we won't have to wait very long to find out for ourselves if the Pre meets up to our expectations.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Well the problem with having a shiny chrome or aluminium (whatever material the backside of the iphone is made out of) is that it is prone to scratches. A phone made out of plastic is not very prone to scratches, but it doesn't look as nice. A phone is used to make calls, texts, etc. it isn't a fashion statement. It isn't a car, it's a device that is mass produced in Asia so as long as the phone holds up and doesn't break then the build quality really is a very minor detail.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Well lets just put it out the iphone feels cheap to!
    You'd retract that comment if you'd have owned an iPhone.

Why is it so hard to believe there could be a valid complaint about something against the Pre? God, it's almost insufferable. The iPhone is by no means perfect, but the build quality is one thing they did right. The Pre is by no means perfect, but their UI is one thing they did right.

Quote Originally Posted by fry8
    Well the problem with having a shiny chrome or aluminium (whatever material the backside of the iphone is made out of) is that it is prone to scratches. A phone made out of plastic is not very prone to scratches, but it doesn't look as nice. A phone is used to make calls, texts, etc. it isn't a fashion statement. It isn't a car, it's a device that is mass produced in Asia so as long as the phone holds up and doesn't break then the build quality really is a very minor detail.
    To you it may be. Personally? I like my accessories and productivity tools to be both functional and quality looking. Different priorities, you can't just discount the complaints of people by saying "it isn't a car". You know some people view a car as just transportation to get them from Point A to Point B and they don't care what it looks like or how it performs? What do you say to them?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That's one of the few things that concerns me. Not the plastic feel of the device, but the top row of keys feeling cramped. I didn't like how I felt that way with my Sena case on my Treo 650 either. That's one of the main reasons I took off the case. (The other that it just felt too big with the case on it.)
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    i totally agree!! i still tend to find it hard that they call a device "cheaply made" when it's put together so solidly that sprint won't allow their techs to repair them in case of malfunction b/c of the complexity and difficulty involved with how it's made!! stupid bgr dumb reports!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    I'm still getting the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    i totally agree!! i still tend to find it hard that they call a device "cheaply made" when it's put together so solidly that sprint won't allow their techs to repair them in case of malfunction b/c of the complexity and difficulty involved with how it's made!! stupid bgr dumb reports!!
    Most modern smartphones are just replaced if something is wrong.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I never get it ,
    what is wrong with plastic?
    If the phone lives for another 5 years , I donot care if its plastic ,steel, titanium , molybdenum , magnisium , potassium ,uranium yeah even radium .... sodium chloride, potassium cyanamide
    or
    Steve jobso appliperidoxine ( does this thing exists ? ).

Fact is its plastic , and so or thousands of phones.
    If iPhone is better than all , well , so be it.

I remember the car reviews ,
    almost all of the car reviewers moan about plastic inside the car.

Haydur , you hit the nail!!!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    But the people saying it's cheap are saying it's beautiful, has a good slider, and feels good in the hand. They complain because it is light, plastic, and has a plastic screen. That is true of most phones. You could turn around and say the iPhone is heavy, has a breakable glass screen, and has too much metal. I love the feeling of my iPod Touch, but I don't feel that it is a good construction for a phone that is in my pocket daily and being thrown into the cup holder in my car or in the bottom of a bag. My phone gets abused. I've never had a single phone break on me though. My friend had an old nokia that fell out of his pocket and backed over it with his front tire. The phone worked except for the screen did not display properly. IMO the iPhone is too fragile for a phone.

Every other mobile device is concerned with weight, why should phones be heavy?

A seamless plastic top and screen means that no crap is getting around the edges of the screen. That seems like a good thing. A screen that won't shatter with too much pressure or a fall from a short distance is also a good thing.

The keyboard being small and cramped is the only valid thing listed here.
    A shattered iPhone glass screen looks cheap. It's all subjective. There are other blogs that say it feels "nice, compact, solidly built, and heavy"
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    IMO the iPhone is too fragile for a phone.
    I've dropped mine quite a bit (on concrete a few times) and it has a minor scratch on the back of it. Did something bad happen to yours when you dropped it?
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Most modern smartphones are just replaced if something is wrong.
    all right man,
    iPhone is better . At least I think its the best in terms of build quality.
    But I am sure the back of it is plastic, do you agree ?
    I do not think Steve Jobso consulted NASA or some Lockheed Martin guys or some Antonov guys form Russia to come up with a space age metal.

The fact is iPhone back is still plastic.
    Does is make a big deal for many , may be so.
    Does it over weigh orther features of the device NOOOOOO

The issue with such reviews is , they focus on not important things.

I agree if the guy said , this plastic is gonna crack in ten days.

But feeling plastic !!! hmm.

Focusing on the basic stability , speed and any other features will help folks make informed decisions.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    A shattered iPhone glass screen looks cheap

I don't think so ,
    You are missing the point
    A shattered iPhone glass screen looks better than a shattered Pre's screen
    Call me crazy, I think the iPhone feels cheap. Plasticky, the back scratches beyond belief, the first thing you need to do when you get it is buy another $100 worth of screen protectors and cases so it doesn't break...

Not to mention, holding one fills me with concern, it feels like it's so slippery and lubed up it's going to pop out of my hand with no notice.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:

Why is it so hard to believe there could be a valid complaint about something against the Pre? God, it's almost insufferable. The iPhone is by no means perfect, but the build quality is one thing they did right. The Pre is by no means perfect, but their UI is one thing they did right.

The 3G one feels cheap to me, the back is creek-y, the original was perfection imo, build wise. I know there were issues with the reception and it was edge but just holding it with the power off, the body, it felt great.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

To you it may be. Personally? I like my accessories and productivity tools to be both functional and quality looking. Different priorities, you can't just discount the complaints of people by saying "it isn't a car". You know some people view a car as just transportation to get them from Point A to Point B and they don't care what it looks like or how it performs? What do you say to them?
    I like things to look nice too, but what I am saying is that it isn't like a house or a car in which build quality really makes a big difference. In other words if a car was built like crap then it wouldn't get them from destination to destination it would fall apart, it would break down.

Also I don't really think that some of the reports are saying it looks cheap however, they are saying it "feels" plasticy. I am putting things in perspective. If the pre feels plasticy, but maybe still sturdy (I don't know how the pre feels I am just speculating on the idea of build quality) it doesn't really matter, because it's a phone, it's a device that is meant to communicate. Again, a better build quality is always better and ofcourse is not a bad thing, but when all things are considered, I care more about how it preforms than the outer plastic casing or shiny back. Again like I said it's a minor detail and everything is personal ofcourse because they are opinions.

The car example is a little different, because it's exterior is what people can see. With a phone, your hand covers much of the phone so I don't think much of it as a fashion statement, when compared to a car. As long as the phone doesn't look like something from a garbage can or whatever, then I am fine with it and I think the pre looks pretty nice and again I don't think the reviewers or previewers dislike the look of the pre . If we do take a car for example say a dodge challenger vs. a 328i bmw coupe. I think the bmw is more luxurious (feel of phone) than the dodge, but the dodge is a faster (features preformance etc. of phone) car than the bmw. I am buying the phone for performance. The bmw vs. dodge may not be the best example because cars are a different animal than a phone, but I think you get the idea.
    Last edited by fry8; 05/29/2009 at 09:54 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast