Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    I think the choice for metal vs. plastic is not weight, but size. For the same strength, metal can be thinner. However, the overall weight would not be that much different, because one has to use more plastic in place of metal.

That said, I don't really care about it that much. My wife has a Moto phone with metal back. It is thin and look nice compare to my Treo 650 and Centro. But I had no problem with my Treo and Centro at all.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by ksom View Post
    I think the choice for metal vs. plastic is not weight, but size. For the same strength, metal can be thinner. However, the overall weight would not be that much different, because one has to use more plastic in place of metal.
    Let's not forget that the metal casing was a huge problem for the RF design of the iPhone. There's a very practical reason for why virtually all modern cellular devices have plastic casings, plastic backs, plastic everything, and that's so that the phone acts as much as a omnidirectional point source as possible.

Sticking a metal case around the whole thing requires a whole new level of design and consideration. They have a plastic window in there for a reason, and I suspect the newer iPhone has a plastic/rubberized backing for the same reason.

It took them a while, but their engineering team is making all the same design decisions based on all the same experiences everyone else has.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234