Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    If you are really offended by the feel you can get the touchstone backcover. People have been saying that makes it feel better. /shrug.
    I'm sure that many people will be getting some kind of skin for their Pre, I know I will, and so you won't feel the plastic anyway. I have a leather case for my treo 650 and hope to get something similar for my Pre.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlb View Post
    I'm sure that many people will be getting some kind of skin for their Pre, I know I will, and so you won't feel the plastic anyway. I have a leather case for my treo 650 and hope to get something similar for my Pre.
    I like my phones to be "naked" with just a screen protector. I usually end up getting a leather case/holster of some sort that adds minimal bulk but is only used for storage/carrying and not during usage. I never understood getting the slimmest smartphone on the market and doubling it's thickness with a cover.... /boggle
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I always put my phone in my shirt pocket without a case. I have had 600P, 700P, 800W and they all have met the fall out of my pocket when I lean into my car and bounce down the driveway test. I wouldn't expect the Pre to be any different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    Let's be honest here. Apple makes aesthetically pleasing devices made of top quality materials, and their users pay dearly for it, and most of them don't mind. If BGR said their Palm Pre felt cheap, it is something to consider. It's not just media bias you know, the iPhone is beautifully made. And I suspect the Pre will be as well (because it looks like BGR had a pre-production model).
    No, BGR they didn't have a pre production (alpha) model. They had a model identical to the final sales models.
    To play devil's advocate here. Palm has 13yrs in the PDA business and about five generations of smartphones under its belt. Apple had how many? They have one mode under their belt, the Newton. Palm even brought in outside help ala Apple. Even if webOS is 1st generation, they have a lot of history to build off of that they should be held to a higher standard than Apple was at the initial launch of the iphone. Not to mention no one had anything to really compare the iphone to when it came to similar OS's. Now there are a few touch based options out there to compare to. It seems the Pre does fairly well in comparison, but there definitely seems to be some glitches and missing functionality that we've been accustomed to on previous devices which I think webOS is really getting scrutiny based on the latest round of threads here (outside of this one).

Back on the plastic feel and all. I'm not bashing the Pre for its use of plastic. I was just pointing out that not all plastics are equal. Some are better than others. Different compositions lead to different characteristics in terms of flex and feel. Not saying the Pre's plastic is bad. I'm sure it's fine.

And didn't the 1st gen iphone have a metal back with the 3g being plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    That said, the Palm Pre is being compared, at launch, with the fully mature iPhone market and franchise. This is completely unfair and unrealistic, and it already won't come close to the number of apps out of the gate, nor the accessory market, nor the sex appeal. Everyone gave the first iPhone a pass (as it was essentially iPhone Beta), yet the first "oh this is their first try, we'll give them a pass" rhetoric isn't being given to the Palm Pre.

Conclusion: The pundits have already made up their minds, and the Apple shrills are making unfair comparisons and don't care, the rest of us can see through their BS. Real success will be determined by adoption, sales on the 6th, and how much traction WebOS development gets.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think any phone that mechanically slides, has real buttons, etc by nature isn't gonna feel as solid as an iPhone, which is all basically one piece with a glass surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    No, BGR they didn't have a pre production (alpha) model. They had a model identical to the final sales models.
    Then why didnt half the apps or the phone part itself work??
    Plastic is fine. Creaky isn't. Centro wasn't the most solid phone due mostly to a loose battery cover.
    2 years ago when I was still fascinated by my macbook, I made a poll at macrumors asking people why they like their macs

top result, about 70%,

OSX

Its software, guys, hardware has something in there, but software nonetheless is the most important thing, even for mac fanboys. at least so they say.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    A buddy of mine works at local Sprint store and he is the store advocate for the Pre. He went for his training and returned with a Pre on Wednesday. First thing he did was call me so I went over to take a look at the Pre. I love the UI...very, very nice! It is much smaller than I had anticipated just from pictures and even from videos that I have seen of it in peoples hands. I do have to say that the keyboard is a bit cramped....but I currently use a Touch Pro with a huge keyboard. The slider is nice but, as someone else mentioned, it does seem to hang a little when trying to close with one hand. The slider is spring loaded so it does close / open by itself once it travels about half way or so. I opened the software purchase application and there was nothing there. My friend says the store officially goes online June 6th. That seemed kind of strange because I have seen pictures and videos of this application open on the Pre and it displays several apps.....so not sure whats up with that. The browser is blazing fast! Does the phone feel plasticy? Yes it does. It IS plastic....so who cares? Not me! All in all, I like the phone and I will be getting one!
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    2 years ago when I was still fascinated by my macbook, I made a poll at macrumors asking people why they like their macs

top result, about 70%,

OSX

Its software, guys, hardware has something in there, but software nonetheless is the most important thing, even for mac fanboys. at least so they say.
    Try using OS X on a PC laptop & then let me know if its just software.

A big part of Mac appeal is that the software runs so well on the hardware. Its a feeling you simply cannot emulate on a PC. And yes, I've ran Hackintoshes on about everything (doing it with my Dell Mini 9 right now). Its OK, but it aint no Mac, thats for sure.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Wow. You are saying essentially the same thing as the BGR review. That means there are dozens of people here who are going to look for reasons why you are uninformed, biased or lying and then create new threads about it.
    Except he didn't call it a review. Big difference. He had a hands on with the unit. He gave his mostly positive opinion from using it for a very short time, much like BGR...but didn't preface it by saying his preview was more than it was.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Wow. You are saying essentially the same thing as the BGR review. That means there are dozens of people here who are going to look for reasons why you are uninformed, biased or lying and then create new threads about it.
    No, actually people will probably come after you

But seriously, the keyboard is something that will take some getting used to over the course of lets say....2 weeks. Typing on the iphone wasn't at all natural for me until about 2-4 weeks in. Everyone is going to have different opinions on the keyboard, its a hard aspect to review on.

As far as the build quality is concerned, as long as it feels good in my hand and doesn't fall apart, its fine with me. Besides, a lot of people put their phones in cases, so how does build quality even come into play (ie. incase slider for iphone 3g is a VERY popular case, basically covers up the entire phone except for the screen)
    The Centro did have a battery cover issue which can be fixed with some tape on the inside, but it felt solid because its heavy for its size. I think the small form factor of the Pre is going to surprise a lot of people and I do hope it has some weight behind it.
    When I first got my 600 (and the 650 and 700) I thought its density was a real plus. I have an 800 now and the first impression was that it felt less sturdy, but now I appreciate the reduced weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Try using OS X on a PC laptop & then let me know if its just software.

A big part of Mac appeal is that the software runs so well on the hardware. Its a feeling you simply cannot emulate on a PC. And yes, I've ran Hackintoshes on about everything (doing it with my Dell Mini 9 right now). Its OK, but it aint no Mac, thats for sure.
    Um. That has nothing to do with Apple having some kind of magic hardware sauce. That has everything to do with Apple putting very expensive components into their computers which ARE just PC's. This is part of what makes people like me hate apple. They are building PC's like everyone else and trying hard to make only their OS work on it well.

To a lesser degree, it has to do with Apple trying hard to make OSX work only really well with their specifically chosen hardware components - which is hard to acquire for each component in a PC.

Regardless, I use a Mac at work and OSX is the most over-rated piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of using, next to iTunes.
    I don't think it's that awful LOL! It can't be any worse than the memory hogging Vista that also leaves some programs running in the background that you can't shut down even in task manager, but should be able to since they aren't essential to run Windows. Then sometimes annoyingly tells you where you can and can't save files to, even if you're the Administrator. I hope Service Pack 2 helps some of this! To some degree, I have lost control over my own computer!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Um. That has nothing to do with Apple having some kind of magic hardware sauce. That has everything to do with Apple putting very expensive components into their computers which ARE just PC's. This is part of what makes people like me hate apple. They are building PC's like everyone else and trying hard to make only their OS work on it well.

To a lesser degree, it has to do with Apple trying hard to make OSX work only really well with their specifically chosen hardware components - which is hard to acquire for each component in a PC.

Regardless, I use a Mac at work and OSX is the most over-rated piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of using, next to iTunes.
    Well, say what you want. But its much easier by nature to build your OS & software properly if you only have a few machines that its intended to run on, instead of hundreds of machines with hundreds of different parts & components. Couple that with Apples design team, and its no mystery why they are such highly regarded. Even though Im sure people like you just chalk that up to Apple-tards being fanboys. But most people with any taste whatsoever knows they make quality stuff.

So, if its not your cup of tea, thats one thing. But to say its "garbage" leads me to believe you are either lying about owning one, havent given it a chance, dont know what you're doing, or are simply a hater. Judging by your "thats why I hate Apple" statement, Im guessing its more the latter than anything else & you got a chip on your shoulder.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    From the spec Iphone and Pre are about the same weight, 4.7 oz. Pre is actually slightly heavier at 4.76oz.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast