Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    all right man,
    iPhone is better . At least I think its the best in terms of build quality.
    But I am sure the back of it is plastic, do you agree ?
    I do not think Steve Jobso consulted NASA or some Lockheed Martin guys or some Antonov guys form Russia to come up with a space age metal.

The fact is iPhone back is still plastic.
    Does is make a big deal for many , may be so.
    Does it over weigh orther features of the device NOOOOOO

The issue with such reviews is , they focus on not important things.

I agree if the guy said , this plastic is gonna crack in ten days.

But feeling plastic !!! hmm.

Focusing on the basic stability , speed and any other features will help folks make informed decisions.
    Maybe that's not important to you, but that's just one of the many components to aesthetics. How it feels. How it feels physically, and the emotional response, or feeling, the user gets because of that. I could be wrong, but what I get from reading "It feels cheap," is that it's actually referring to both things at the same time. I would guess that this is because of a cultural bias that makes us feel like metal things feel more solid/expensive, than plastic things, and not necessarily an overtly conscious thing.

Example - You see a plastic garbage can that's the exact same size and shape as a metal garbage can, and you feel like the metal one is the better one, even if the only thing you'll ever throw into is it junk mail, whereas in reality the plastic one serves just as well while on top of that is lighter to carry, and doesn't have a coat of paint that can get easily get scratched. (Edit: Other examples... a metal ruler vs a plastic ruler, a metal Optimus Prime toy vs a plastic Optimus Prime Toy, etc.)

And you can't fault a reviewer for "reviewing something that isn't important" when how a device feels is a standard point to mention when it comes to reviews.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 05/29/2009 at 09:50 PM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Call me crazy, I think the iPhone feels cheap. Plasticky, the back scratches beyond belief, the first thing you need to do when you get it is buy another $100 worth of screen protectors and cases so it doesn't break...

Not to mention, holding one fills me with concern, it feels like it's so slippery and lubed up it's going to pop out of my hand with no notice.
    I have one that was abused(bought second hand and I'm willing to bet it was dropped), it works like a charm still. Although the speaker is not as loud as on the like new one I have.

There's also a rumor about a rubberized back in the next version, but I don't know if that's true. But that would address the concern of dropping.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post

The fact is iPhone back is still plastic.

And you do know there are different grades and textures of the extremely broad term "plastics", right?

The issue with such reviews is , they focus on not important things.
    You're missing the point. It is important for some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    And you do know there are different grades and textures of the extremely broad term "plastics", right?

Tell them to wear gloves--they'll not feel the supposed plasticky plastic. Geez, what else can someone complain about? It's a frickin' PHONE. It should make calls, with good clarity and connections, it should be easy to navigate, the battery should last all day, it should be dependable. Cover it in sheepskin. sheesh!
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Tell them to wear gloves--they'll not feel the supposed plasticky plastic. Geez, what else can someone complain about? It's a frickin' PHONE. It should make calls, with good clarity and connections, it should be easy to navigate, the battery should last all day, it should be dependable. Cover it in sheepskin. sheesh!
    Except for many people Form >> Function. Cars are a perfect example of this as are all variety of consumer electronics. There are people that are more concerned with how the computer will fit their living room decor than how well it will fit their needs. They have every right to do this, but I'm with you in that the phone review should review objectively the FUNCTIONS of the phone and then comment subjectively on the FORM.
    tell them to wear gloves--they'll not feel the supposed plasticky plastic. Geez, what else can someone complain about? It's a frickin' phone. It should make calls, with good clarity and connections, it should be easy to navigate, the battery should last all day, it should be dependable. Cover it in sheepskin. Sheesh!

whoosh.
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post

Sure I know that , where do you want to start ? Teflon ?

I would be happy with the quality , if Pre can live to see the day after five years.

Remember how Folks from Motorola and Nokia laughed at APPLE for the lack of physical keyboard on iPhone.

Two years later , hmm 20 million folks bought it.

And I am not missing the point , if the plastic look of Pre is a big deal for most , then they can ignore the device all together.

No phone is perfect , so pick the best features you want and live with it.
    If I was getting a free phone those would be my main requirements, but I'm paying $200 and signing a new contract. Not all plastic is created equal. I could complain about the plastic used in the Centro. That creaky battery door is just horrible. I've played with the original and 3g iphone, and the original is definitely nicer than the 3g. Funny thing is most iphones I see are covered in those those two piece hard cases. That's how I used my Centro for a while so it took the creaky battery door out of play.

My i500 was still the best made Palm phone I ever owned. Then again, it was made by Samsung.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    If I was getting a free phone those would be my main requirements, but I'm paying $200 and signing a new contract. Not all plastic is created equal. I could complain about the plastic used in the Centro. That creaky battery door is just horrible. I've played with the original and 3g iphone, and the original is definitely nicer than the 3g. Funny thing is most iphones I see are covered in those those two piece hard cases. That's how I used my Centro for a while so it took the creaky battery door out of play.

My i500 was still the best made Palm phone I ever owned. Then again, it was made by Samsung.

I've got a $6,500 insulin pump. The case is plastic. and it presents zero problems. Back in the 50's, plastic was CRAP. Brittle and easily breakable. Most modern plastic is a good option when metal isn't spec'd. I say if you want a phone, you are most likely going to get one that has most if not all of the case, made of plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Yes, that thing was sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Well lets just put it out the iphone feels cheap to!
    The iPhone is not cheap -- it's expensive.
    I've got a $6,500 insulin pump. The case is plastic. and it presents zero problems. Back in the 50's, plastic was CRAP. Brittle and easily breakable. Most modern plastic is a good option when metal isn't spec'd. I say if you want a phone, you are most likely going to get one that has most if not all of the case, made of plastic.
    My two cents:

There is a difference between something being made from the material "plastic" and something feeling "plasticy and cheap"

Something that feels plasticy, feels light, poorly constructed, not sturdy. In general it feels cheap.

That's different from something just being made of plastic. My digital SLR has a plastic shell (although inside it's metal), but it has a heft and I don't think anyone would define it as plasticy. A 50 dollar digicam with a fixed focus lens, with crappy build quality would probobly feel plasticy.

This is despite the fact they both are actually made of plastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    My two cents:

There is a difference between something being made from the material "plastic" and something feeling "plasticy and cheap"

Something that feels plasticy, feels light, poorly constructed, not sturdy. In general it feels cheap.

That's different from something just being made of plastic. My digital SLR has a plastic shell (although inside it's metal), but it has a heft and I don't think anyone would define it as plasticy. A 50 dollar digicam with a fixed focus lens, with crappy build quality would probobly feel plasticy.

This is despite the fact they both are actually made of plastic.
    If you don't like the texture of the phone, there's always various grades of sandpaper to give it a different texture. I can't believe we are having this convo when BGR is such a lame source for information. Why not wait until we see the thing in person and make up our individual minds if the PLASTIC case will suffice.
    Let's be honest here. How many people here have felt or held the phone? I have played with the demo and if the released phone is anything like the demo, it does feel cheap real cheap. I hate to even mention the iPhone in this forum cause some people jump all over you, but it is very well made. It's not fragile and any of you guys saying that are full of it. I want some weight in my device when I hold it. I don't want it to feel like it's hollow inside. Don't attack it just cause someone says something negative about a phone that you haven't even touched. I'm actually getting the Pre when it comes out, because I hope it's better than the iPhone. I thought Apple fanboys and girls were bad but they are nothing compared to the Palm ones.

Edit- 1 more thing I don't know what the back of the iPhone is made of but it's not plastic. Here is a link to one of their patents. The back may be made out some kind ceramic.
    http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...DN/20060268528
    Last edited by lopezpm; 05/29/2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Let's be honest here. How many people here have felt or held the phone? I have played with the demo and if the released phone is anything like the demo, it does feel cheap real cheap. I hate to even mention the iPhone in this forum cause some people jump all over you, but it is very well made. It's not fragile and any of you guys saying that are full of it. I want some weight in my device when I hold it. I don't want it to feel like it's hollow inside. Don't attack it just cause someone says something negative about a phone that you haven't even touched. I'm actually getting the Pre when it comes out, because I hope it's better than the iPhone. I thought Apple fanboys and girls were bad but they are nothing compared to the Palm ones.

Edit- 1 more thing I don't know what the back of the iPhone is made of but it's not plastic. Here is a link to one of their patents. The back may be made out some kind ceramic.
    United States Patent Application: 0060268528
    oh, I dunno, the Apple fanbois are pretty darn insufferable!
    If you don't like the texture of the phone, there's always various grades of sandpaper to give it a different texture. I can't believe we are having this convo when BGR is such a lame source for information. Why not wait until we see the thing in person and make up our individual minds if the PLASTIC case will suffice.
    Sandpaper, oh come on. That hurts just thinking about it. Kind of like nails on a chalkboard. I agree with you though, once you get it in your hands then you can make your decision.
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I wish I could confirm if the thing feels cheap or not, but I bet my local Sprint stores won't have a demo model on their sales floor until at least launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I wish I could confirm if the thing feels cheap or not, but I bet my local Sprint stores won't have a demo model on their sales floor until at least launch day.
    I hate it when stores do that. If your selling a phone soon, get the damn demo out there so people can play with it.
    happy for you and your pump. how often do you put it up to your ear, toss it into your cup holder or on your desk, throw it in a briefcase, have it drop out of your hands as you're carrying in the groceries. Your insulin pump was designed to sit on your belt or pants. It doesn't get handled like a phone. Bad analogy, especially when you probably had it paid for by your insurance company which is why it sold for $6500. The casing probably represents less than 5% of the product cost. The entire pump probably cost a few hundred dollars. But this is the medical industry. You have to pay for the wining and dining of docs, marketing at trade shows, sales rep's commission and so on. Then you have to mark it up quite a bit because you know the insurance company is paying for it. I highly doubt you paid $6500 for it.

And again, not all plastic is created equal. Just walk into Best Buy and look at all the different laptops. Some cases have more flex than others. Some have a shiny finish, some matte. Some have a grippier texture than others. Some just feel more solid in your hands than others. There are different qualities to plastic. Whether you believe it or not, doesn't mean it's not true. I'm not complaining about phones being made of plastic. It's the nature of the beast. They still have choices to the quality of the plastic used. You'll see people buy the matte battery cover just because they don't like the standard one and want the phone to have a grippier feel. Compare the difference between the original black centro and the newer green one. Different finish, yet still thin with the same flex in the battery cover.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    There's also a rumor about a rubberized back in the next version, but I don't know if that's true. But that would address the concern of dropping.
    It definitely is supposed to have a matte back, which probably implies more rubberized. I know my Touch Pro feels somewhat rubberized on the back, not really rubber but matte-ish. Makes it easier to hold.

That's kind of a selling point for me for the Touchstone charger.

But enough of my slippery rant...

Let's not forget how many caveats the iPhones had when they first came out, and how truly ridiculous the standards and expectations are now for the Pre in comparison:

1. Coverage: iPhone 1.0 lacked 3G entirely, iPhone 2.0 "3G" had serious reception issues which not only made 3G non existent, it also actively degraded the 3G reception of other AT&T customers until everyone was upgraded. AT&T's backhaul was (and still isn't) able to always cope with the load placed on it. The Palm Pre will come out on Sprint's mature Ev-Do Rev A. network, which has better coverage and backhaul and probably won't have the same issues caused by the iPhone 3G's infineon (I call it the inferion) radio stack
    2. Software: iPhone 1.0 debuted without any app-store, any SDK, any method for getting software on the phone which wasn't Apple's. This wasn't just a closed platform, it was a hermetically sealed platform. iPhone 3G came out at the same time as the final version of the app store SDK, with limited apps. The Palm Pre is going to launch essentially the same way the iPhone 3G launched, with a new SDK, and a few apps.
    3. Build Quality: iPhone 1.0 and iPhone 2.0 are essentially the same, with minimal changes. You either love it or hate it. Scratch prone back, glass screen (diamond vapor deposition coated for durability), relatively thin and light, but classy. Again love it or hate it form factor requiring special care. Palm Pre is essentially unknown. Some criticized as cheap (BGR, the apple shrill in the room), others call it balanced like an expensive knife, classy, extremely small and polished like a heavy river stone. Time will tell.
    4. Provider Service: iPhone 1: Expensive. iPhone 2: Even more expensive, higher data cost by $10 with no explanation. Palm Pre: Sprint, cheapest of the big 3 providers.

Of the three launches, the Palm Pre essentially comes out with the same functionality and level of completeness as the iPhone, besting the first generation iPhone and surpassing the growing pains of the state of cellular 3G service for iPhone 3G.

That said, the Palm Pre is being compared, at launch, with the fully mature iPhone market and franchise. This is completely unfair and unrealistic, and it already won't come close to the number of apps out of the gate, nor the accessory market, nor the sex appeal. Everyone gave the first iPhone a pass (as it was essentially iPhone Beta), yet the first "oh this is their first try, we'll give them a pass" rhetoric isn't being given to the Palm Pre.

Conclusion: The pundits have already made up their minds, and the Apple shrills are making unfair comparisons and don't care, the rest of us can see through their BS. Real success will be determined by adoption, sales on the 6th, and how much traction WebOS development gets.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast