Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    First out - let me say this is *not* intended as flame bait. I'm a BIG fan of Palm. I've used Palm since my IIIx, through the Treo 650 and now the Centro, as well as few others in between.

I've been thinking about switching to Sprint (from AT&T), just for the Pre. But here are my concerns, and I'd LOVE to hear peoples thoughts.

- My pet name for my Treo 650, was the "Reboot-a-Matic". I'd look at it cross eyed, and it would reboot. The Centro is better, but again.... It will reboot on a semi-daily basis. Oh, I can go for a few days at time without a reboot, but then I'll get 5 reboots in a row (mostly due to misbehaved software certainly). What is going to happen with this first-gen software. If THAT isn't bad enough, it's a Multi-Tasking OS - not a trivial item to develop, and if not done well - big trouble.

- And THEN, I wonder about the build quality. What will be first, the cracking cases a la Treo Pro? My Centro developed a stress crack, which I understand is not that uncommon. With the Pre, we will have slider issues? How well will THAT be built, or will it get jettisoned as the slider on the unit before the TX (sorry I don't recall the model). Anyone know how well that one stood up? Build quality was never one of Palms strong points. I don't think I ever had ** ANY ** Palm model that wasn't exchanged under Warranty, at least once. I think I had 3 IIIc's, 3 650s, and 2 Centros.

Someone convince me - please! I really want a Pre and to see the come-back of Palm be successful.

Larry
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    if you're concerned I suggest you wait until people have Pres for a couple of months and all the inherent problems are out in the open.

Lets face it supplies are limited, Im not talking someone into competing with me for a launch day Pre
    It's gonna suck. Don't get it
    There is no spoon
    Very good points all around; in fact, my 755p and the wife's Centro are now, almost in synchrony locking up and losing signal, going into roaming. The "a" key on my Treo now needs to be pressed extra hard. Guess they both know they're getting replaced pretty soon.

Oh, yeah. I'm still getting a Pre. But I think you're asking us to think rationally. Yeah, I think not.
    Garnett was the cause of the reboot-a-matic behavior with older Treos. Palm skimped on the internal memory available to the OS, which couldn't multitask anyway. WebOS is not just a patch on the turd that Garnett became. It's a whole new beginning. And with early reviewers saying it's no problem to have 15 or 20 apps running together, it looks like the Pre will not fall victim to the old reboot-a-matic problem. But hey, by all means wait for the early reviews. If there are any issues (and I have to believe there will be at least A FEW) they'll come to light immediately.
    I'll just say this to anyone in the San Fernando Valley area outside of LA: The Pre will be a terrible, terrible device, not at all worth the money or even the time to buy. You're much better off with an iPhone or a G1. So, don't bother going out next Saturday to buy one. Seriously.

Trust me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I wouldn't switch to Sprint just for the Pre. Wait and see if it comes out on AT&T. In the meantime monitor this forum to see I well the Pre holds up. My guess is the OS will be very stable compared to PalmOS but the hardware will be typical Palm.
    I would definitely switch from AT&T. Come to Sprint and see what real 3G actually is.

Anyway, we can't convince you anything. We don't have the Pre. There are glowing hands on accounts all over the internet, but we don't know if it'll have bugs or if it'll be perfect build quality. I mean, iPhone 3Gs crack and no one cares, but if the Pre has the slightest problem it's going to be a huge deal. It's a double standard world, but Sprint and Palm know how important this is and have had forever to work on it. I expect great things. Just read some reviews, play with one if possible and decide from there, you don't have to buy it day one.
    I'm using the Centro on VZW and it rarely locks up or reboots. I do have a little stress crack over the Home key. I'm going to switch to Sprint to get the Pre, but not on day one. I'll use the 30 day trail period before porting over VZW number. I know thats not enought time to see how the phone holds up, but I'm basically taking the leap of faith and I'm also not that hard on my phones.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    My old 650 is amazing. It has more scratches than any electronic I owned. That's largely because I let my 5 year old play with it after I got Centro. It has been dropped, scratched, some kind of food stuck around on key (but still works). And I must say, compare to Centro, the hard keys still feel a lot better.

Centro is ok. I use it without any cases or screen protection. It is either in my pocket or on my desk. Some paint is gone and start showing its plastic truth. The top of the key pad sheet starts peeling a little in the middle. But there is no problem for using. So, as long as Pre is as good as Centro, I don't worry much.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I would definitely switch from AT&T. Come to Sprint and see what real 3G actually is.
    Real 3G? Sprint 3G doesn't even support simultaneous voice and data.
    Let's face reality. Any time you build hundreds of thousands of something, there will be a few with issues. It's just a fact of life. And at the very beginning of the product run, there will be more issues. So being an early adopter, you are going to maximize your probability of seeing a hardware issue. If you have a low tolerance for that sort of thing, don't buy it right away.

But this is what warranties are for. I don't personally mind getting a phone and having to return it because of some issue. The Palm Profile will make returning and switching to a new phone utterly painless. The joy of having the Pre sooner rather than later far outweighs the risk of experiencing first run production problems for me.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Garnett was the cause of the reboot-a-matic behavior with older Treos. Palm skimped on the internal memory available to the OS, which couldn't multitask anyway. WebOS is not just a patch on the turd that Garnett became. It's a whole new beginning. And with early reviewers saying it's no problem to have 15 or 20 apps running together, it looks like the Pre will not fall victim to the old reboot-a-matic problem. But hey, by all means wait for the early reviews. If there are any issues (and I have to believe there will be at least A FEW) they'll come to light immediately.
    15-20 apps? Nope. You'll get a memory warning way before that... and then almost a memory leak effect, sluggish running device and just weird things happening (resulting in a need for a reboot).

I'd suggest not having more than 6-7 intensive cards open at once if you want to keep stability to your device.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    First out - let me say this is *not* intended as flame bait. I'm a BIG fan of Palm. I've used Palm since my IIIx, through the Treo 650 and now the Centro, as well as few others in between.

I've been thinking about switching to Sprint (from AT&T), just for the Pre. But here are my concerns, and I'd LOVE to hear peoples thoughts.

My 800W is built like a tank and I have alot less reboot issues that my 600P and 700P had but don't even get me started on my battery life issues. The main reason I'm with Sprint is because the large family voice and data plans are just alot cheaper. If you buy right you can get real good discounts off their listed rates. I get 25% off. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    15-20 apps? Nope. You'll get a memory warning way before that... and then almost a memory leak effect, sluggish running device and just weird things happening (resulting in a need for a reboot).

I'd suggest not having more than 6-7 intensive cards open at once if you want to keep stability to your device.

Actually the memory leak thing has me the most concerned out of any of the negatives we have been hearing.
    All Fair Points.

I have had mixed results with Palm as far as build quality. My T3 (the one slider you were talking about) fell apart pretty quickly. I am on my second Centro because of shoddy buttons. But 3 handspring visors and a palm TX were awesome.
    Its funny, My first round with the Centro was buggy.......rebooted 1 to 2 times per day. I re-installed after going back to my old sanyo 8500 for a few months. Now the Centro reboots maybe 1 time every 2 months. Same software....same config.....I don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    My 800W is built like a tank and I have alot less reboot issues that my 600P and 700P had but don't even get me started on my battery life issues. The main reason I'm with Sprint is because the large family voice and data plans are just alot cheaper. If you buy right you can get real good discounts off their listed rates. I get 25% off. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
    Battery life isn't as bad as it is on the 800w but then again, the app store isn't open yet either

WM isn't known for being battery efficient, I think you'll find that WebOS can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Actually the memory leak thing has me the most concerned out of any of the negatives we have been hearing.
    It isn't good but it's not awful either... you won't have that many cards open anyways... it just gets unwieldy not just for memory, but visually and mentally you might not want all those cards open doing nothing (at least I don't, I am the same way with my WM devices too).
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    My understanding is that PalmOS is basically a virtual web server built on Linux. Linux handles the multitasking, and Linux is solid. But there's still room for the server to go kapooey.

I've had a Centro for a year and have not once had it reboot on me. But every single previous Palm phone I've owned (I've owned many) had serious issues, so much so that I left Palm for a year before deciding to try again with the Centro.

You have a good point, but I'm betting it was an Palm OS issue, that Linux is far more stable. For one thing, when an app crashes on WebOS, it only kills its own thread, so only the one app card disappears, and the rest of the phone keeps on chugging. Not so on the Palm OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'll just say this to anyone in the San Fernando Valley area outside of LA: The Pre will be a terrible, terrible device, not at all worth the money or even the time to buy. You're much better off with an iPhone or a G1. So, don't bother going out next Saturday to buy one. Seriously.

Trust me.
    Let me second this comment. Sprint's reception in the SoFla area is just atrocious. And to top it off they decide to release this half-baked phone!

Do yourselves a favor and stay home June 6th.

/sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Real 3G? Sprint 3G doesn't even support simultaneous voice and data.
    Yeah but Sprint 3G actually exists and is faster. My brother has to see if he is getting 3G on his iPhone and it takes long to load websites. I know I always have 3G on my Curve and websites load quick. Same thing for when I had an Instinct.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast