Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Actually the memory leak thing has me the most concerned out of any of the negatives we have been hearing.
    I second that. The solution was to reset the phone. Not good. If memory (volatile RAM) is low, recovering should be as easy as closing apps.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I've been reading all the replies to my original post - I'd like to thank everyone for the thoughful replies. Good food for thought.

Larry
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    My understanding is that PalmOS is basically a virtual web server built on Linux. [...]
    Sorry, I meant WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Battery life isn't as bad as it is on the 800w but then again, the app store isn't open yet either

WM isn't known for being battery efficient, I think you'll find that WebOS can be.

It isn't good but it's not awful either... you won't have that many cards open anyways... it just gets unwieldy not just for memory, but visually and mentally you might not want all those cards open doing nothing (at least I don't, I am the same way with my WM devices too).

I hear you but my concern is that if it bogs down with memory issues at X number of cards it will also bog down with x-5 number of cards it will just take longer to get that memory message. The reports we have is that with heavy usage people were seeing it in only a few hours so that may end up meaning daily resets.

If the system isn't releasing memory from programs that were closed or overwriting memory from the first programs opened / used as it runs low then there may be some fairly serious issues to deal with.

My biggest issue with all this and all of the "It will come after release" or "third parties will take care of that" is that some of this stuff is pretty basic. My worry is if it were so simple to add or fix it would have been fixed already. The last thing Palm wants is a huge OTA update on the day or close to the day of mass release. The probability that you missed something in small scale testing that ends up causing serious issues when you push to 100k devices raises the SNAFU factor exponentially. Especially if they are under the gun.
    Personally... I think there is going to be an OTA update within the first week regardless... I mean, you can't even change the SMS or Email notification sounds. WTF is that?!
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
    First out - let me say this is *not* intended as flame bait. I'm a BIG fan of Palm. I've used Palm since my IIIx, through the Treo 650 and now the Centro, as well as few others in between.

I've been thinking about switching to Sprint (from AT&T), just for the Pre. But here are my concerns, and I'd LOVE to hear peoples thoughts.

- My pet name for my Treo 650, was the "Reboot-a-Matic". I'd look at it cross eyed, and it would reboot. The Centro is better, but again.... It will reboot on a semi-daily basis. Oh, I can go for a few days at time without a reboot, but then I'll get 5 reboots in a row (mostly due to misbehaved software certainly). What is going to happen with this first-gen software. If THAT isn't bad enough, it's a Multi-Tasking OS - not a trivial item to develop, and if not done well - big trouble.

- And THEN, I wonder about the build quality. What will be first, the cracking cases a la Treo Pro? My Centro developed a stress crack, which I understand is not that uncommon. With the Pre, we will have slider issues? How well will THAT be built, or will it get jettisoned as the slider on the unit before the TX (sorry I don't recall the model). Anyone know how well that one stood up? Build quality was never one of Palms strong points. I don't think I ever had ** ANY ** Palm model that wasn't exchanged under Warranty, at least once. I think I had 3 IIIc's, 3 650s, and 2 Centros.

Someone convince me - please! I really want a Pre and to see the come-back of Palm be successful.

Larry
    IMO, you are asking excellent questions. Unfortunately only time (maybe MONTHS) will tell the tale. Let's hope for all Pre customers, the Pre doesn't fall apart in short order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    Personally... I think there is going to be an OTA update within the first week regardless... I mean, you can't even change the SMS or Email notification sounds. WTF is that?!
    Really? That bites big time. I'm already miffed one can't change the system fonts. What the heck were they smokin' when they nailed down the specs for this phone? I mean, c'mon, how hard is it to give it some customization options?
    Plastic is OK, resets once in a while are the norm for this BB user, loose battery doors too, but this comment from BGR about the slider (for a guy who never had one) is concerning:

"The edges of the bottom piece are sharp on the back of the screen and even worse, when sliding it up and down, the top part that houses the screen will sometimes catch on itself."
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Plastic is OK, resets once in a while are the norm for this BB user, loose battery doors too, but this comment from BGR about the slider (for a guy who never had one) is concerning:

"The edges of the bottom piece are sharp on the back of the screen and even worse, when sliding it up and down, the top part that houses the screen will sometimes catch on itself."

If true that makes Palm choice to not "mess up" the aesthetics of the Pre with a card slot, rather a moot point, don't you think? I'd not mind a micro SD slot somewhere on the edge, but better yet, hidden under the back cover, like the Storm.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12