Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    All these articles are nonsense to me. "Gestures are not intuitive!" Um, they are the definition of intuitive. "Palm is fighting an uphill battle!" I've heard it all before.
    This is scary, most of the content is very accurate, but will the phone fail? No one can possibly know until after June 6th.
    The Pre runs the brand spanking new webOS. Big IT shops want stability and compatibility, but Palm changes operating systems like underwear.
    Really? i guess the author doesn't change his underwear very often, then!
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Gestures aren't intuitive? WTF? The gestures are the slickest, badass feature that all the other manufacturers such as Apple wish they had thought of and look how many gestures come with the phone at launch. This is not to mention the potential upgrades that developers and palm will come out with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Really? i guess the author doesn't change his underwear very often, then!
    Palm had the same OS for a decade. These articles are so lame!
    Graffiti was an imperfect solution to a difficult problem. Gestures are the same. Until the thing responds to thoughts or voice commands, gestures are a reasonable solution. The Pre will fail if Palm and Sprint don't have enough muscle behind it to meet the numbers necessary to justify the subsidies and build costs. No one knows exactly what those targets are, but if they make it through Christmas, they should be alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Graffiti was an imperfect solution to a difficult problem. Gestures are the same. Until the thing responds to thoughts or voice commands, gestures are a reasonable solution. The Pre will fail if Palm and Sprint don't have enough muscle behind it to meet the numbers necessary to justify the subsidies and build costs. No one knows exactly what those targets are, but if they make it through Christmas, they should be alright.
    yeah, by Christmas the Pre might be bringing in revenue for Verizon and not so much for Sprint. Having the Pre on Verizon is a major win for Palm, however. Poor Sprint.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Anyone that takes Ashok Kumar's word as gospel immediately loses credibility with me. As others have said before - lame.

Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : Analyst: Palm Pre Units Could Be Under 150K
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Don't even bother reading or linking to these articles. They are all just garbage from sites trying to get hits.
    I don't understand all the hate on the Pre. Let's get something straight............The iphone is awesome!! So is the Pre and many other smart phones. It's like all the reviews are missing the point. Palm took some features already in use and advanced it a little further just like every other company does.

I think there is a big market for the Pre just like the G1, BB Storm and iPhone. I for one like Sprint, and since the Pre is the flagship of the network I am going to have it. The same goes for people who happen to like T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. I don't see how anyone can't be excited when each new mobile device advances the industry one step further.

I agree that the Pre is not the answer to all our problems, but it is a damn nice device and just as cool and useful as that apple phone thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    Don't even bother reading or linking to these articles. They are all just garbage from sites trying to get hits.
    Just don't click on the link. I, for one, want access to a full range of opinions.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Just don't click on the link. I, for one, want access to a full range of opinions.
    I don't even know if I would consider them legitimate opinions, more like yellow journalism of internet news.
    The Pre runs the brand spanking new webOS. Big IT shops want stability and compatibility, but Palm changes operating systems like underwear.

I guess they missed the part about how the Pre is not being marketed to IT folks or corporations with high security needs. In fact, the Sprint reps are cautioned not to even sell to these folks.

My prediction: The ARTICLE is an Epic Fail™.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    The problem with the thinking today is that is based on dichotomy; Good bad, Business Consumers, etc. The author basically states that the phone is not designed for businesses and it is not appealing to consumers. Palm specifically said that it is trying to grab best of both worlds of business and consumer devices. They said it was like a cross between an iphone and a blackberry.

The market is not for someone who just wants to download fart apps, play games, listen to music, and browse the web every once in a while. Sure the pre doesn't run windows mobile and it remains to be seen how business oriented the device is, but nonetheless the iphone isn't a business phone at all and by the same token, blackberrys aren't really consumer phones; they don't deliver that rich media experience (although they are approaching that direction).

The pre offers a rich media experience which is great for consumers, has a "wow" factor, a full keyboard (great for both business users and consumer users) has synergy (great for business users and pretty good for consumers) and of course the list goes on and on. A lot of business users can use the pre, but for certain areas of the business world such as IT, they should use maybe a blackberry a winmo device and of course not an iphone. But what about that business man who wants an mp3 player, a kick *** browser, push email, synced calenders and contacts, etc. where is he/she to go? Where is the consumer to go if he/she wants those features as well? The iphone would be like a "toy" for him/her and the blackberry wouldn't deliver on that rich media experience that consumers love. That is where the pre comes in and that is it's niche that could be a dominant factor in today's marketplace.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    "What this means is that if I'm wrong, and the Pre is a runaway, mass-market hit, Palm won't be able to supply them fast enough"

Hahah... his first point is that if the Pre is a runaway hit, then it's going to fail.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    The whole point of the gestures not being intuitive comes straight from tjhe At&t comparison of the Pre and Iphone. By the way how many hit pieces against the pre have come out in the past week?
    I love when people bad mouth the Pre's gestures. Can the iPhone even do a back gesture? Slide to delete? Launcher Gesture? Oh wait...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    All quotes from Mike Elgans article.

"The Palm Pre UI is slick and appealing, new and innovative. But in the mass consumer handset market, only three things count: Brand appeal, simplicity and apps. And on all three counts, Apple clobbers Palm. That's why iPhone has destroyed every other "better" phone that has come along."

I think he's wrong. Palm has brand appeal. The Pre is simple, hardware wise and UI wise, as compared with iPhone. Lots of apps are ready come launch date and many more are in the works. This is why Palm Pre is going to destroy iPhone.

"Palm's Synergy feature allows users to pull together contacts from multiple sources, and maintain threaded conversations across SMS, GTalk and AIM. Cool for tinkering geeks, but will your mom use it?"

I don't see a lot of moms using iPhones. They usually prefer dumb phones, in my opinion.

"Gestures are less intuitive than iPhone's. 3D game development is poorly supported in the webOS SDK. The UI is feature rich, but complex and only semi-intuitive for average users."

Is he lying to his teeth or what?

My question to him. How much did Apple pay you?
    I don't understand the notion that if Pre doesn't sell more than iPhone, it's a failure. Pre may only need to sell a few million a year to be successful. It doesn't need to sell 30+ million as iPhone has. It will kick into gear when more carriers have it and when more hardware platforms come out in the future.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast