Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oh boy, I really lend credence to a ton of bloggers I've never ever heard of before this to tell me what they think about the Plam Pre considering what we already know about it not being a business phone. Sheesh!

(gosh, do you think they're trying to drive hits by making dire predictions and calling on all their friends to do so as well? Oh my goodness.. /sarcasm)

Same old FUD as always about Sprint being bad (despite AT&T's sucktackular "3G" network being the industry joke), same old FUD about the business guide saying it isn't an IT-security centric device (oh really? We shouldn't buy a device that doesn't run WM/BB apps if we need to run WM/BB apps? Amazing revelations guys), and same old FUD from the borderline room-temperature IQ written by the Boy "Genius." Good grief... I need some Tylenol.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Yes, Palm took Slide to Delete from Apple, so yes an iPhone can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I think he's wrong. Palm has brand appeal. The Pre is simple, hardware wise and UI wise, as compared with iPhone. Lots of apps are ready come launch date and many more are in the works. This is why Palm Pre is going to destroy iPhone.
    Palm may have brand appeal to current and former PalmOS users but to the rest of the world the brand means nothing (particularly compared Apple). The number of apps will be tiny initially compared to Apple. Some of the Pre apps such as the email app are much better than the iPhone's crappy email app but don't expect the average person to realize.

As for Palm destroying the iPhone, they really don't have a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    really? I guess the author doesn't change his underwear very often, then!
    rotflmao!!!
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Palm may have brand appeal to current and former PalmOS users but to the rest of the world the brand means nothing (particularly compared Apple). The number of apps will be tiny initially compared to Apple. Some of the Pre apps such as the email app are much better than the iPhone's crappy email app but don't expect the average person to realize.

As for Palm destroying the iPhone, they really don't have a chance.
    Don't be so sure. Palm has Rubinstein, the man who contributed so much to Apple's success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Can the iPhone even do a back gesture?
    No, not yet.

Slide to delete?
    Yes.

Launcher Gesture?
    No.

But let's face it, the launcher gesture is not intuitive. It's ridiculously easy, and I don't see ANY problem with people taking the 5 seconds to learn and remember the feature, but it isn't intuitive.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badandy127 View Post
    No, not yet.

Yes.

No.

But let's face it, the launcher gesture is not intuitive. It's ridiculously easy, and I don't see ANY problem with people taking the 5 seconds to learn and remember the feature, but it isn't intuitive.
    Have you used the phone yet?
    Of course not. Why? The very definition of "intuitive" dictates that the launcher gesture isn't intuitive. And that's not a knock on the Pre, I think the gestures are great.
    I don't see any issues with the gesture area being intuitive. There are plenty of other potential issues with the Pre, the gesture area isn't one of them IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I don't see any issues with the gesture area being intuitive. There are plenty of other potential issues with the Pre, the gesture area isn't one of them IMO.

Agreed. The gesture area is really cool and an important differentiating point for Palm.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    All these articles are nonsense to me. "Gestures are not intuitive!" Um, they are the definition of intuitive. "Palm is fighting an uphill battle!" I've heard it all before.
    I was thinking the same thing. Gestures not intuitive? They pretty much made the Pre in a way that it could be operated easily (to some extent) with gestures. Did he not see the freakin manual on the gestures or realize theres a gesture area? Man this guy......
    People have different levels of intuition. Whoever doesn't think that the gestures are intuitive shouldn't get the Pre then. Less customers, shorter lines at the stores on launch day, faster we'll get our phones. End of story
    Will the Pre be as popular as the iphone? NO, not at all... but will it fail? NO it wont. This guy's article is just stupid, the Pre will not fail... with it coming to At&t and Verizon next year, it will be a hit, like the Treo was.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twigg View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Gestures not intuitive? They pretty much made the Pre in a way that it could be operated easily (to some extent) with gestures. Did he not see the freakin manual on the gestures or realize theres a gesture area? Man this guy......
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    People have different levels of intuition. Whoever doesn't think that the gestures are intuitive shouldn't get the Pre then. Less customers, shorter lines at the stores on launch day, faster we'll get our phones. End of story
    There's a difference between intuitive and useful. The gesture area and launch wave are extremely useful, and definitely do make the Pre stand out, but they are not intuitive. All it takes is one look to understand how useful they would be, but if you handed a Pre to someone who knows nothing about it, they wouldn't automatically know how to use them. Having to look something up in a manual is the opposite of being intuitive.

Edit: With that said, it's not like pinch to zoom was intuitive either. Apple just had a lot of commercials that taught people how to use all the gestures.
    Last edited by Gerorne; 05/30/2009 at 01:11 AM.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    All these articles are nonsense to me. "Gestures are not intuitive!" Um, they are the definition of intuitive. "Palm is fighting an uphill battle!" I've heard it all before.
    This is always the case when the other jealous companies don't have this feature on their phone. They're always quick to bash and criticize what they don't have, until they have it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12