Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Thought this deserved a new thread so people see it.

Palm Pre Review : Boy Genius Report
    Even more BS than the last one. SUCK IT BGR, you can go back to your iPhones now.

for BGR.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Basically after this review, I can never read BGR again. I used to be a huge fan, but I guess I was blinded to the fact as to how biased they are.

I mean they never really go into the amazing integration aspects, they touched very lightly on synergy, and barely even talk about the cloud. They definitely glanced over the key aspects that makes this phone unique.

Also, I wouldn't even call this a "review". Not everything is up and running yet, so the full potential isn't there. It might be ok to call this a preview.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Agree with everyone else...this review is really bad.

1) it's not a final unit
    2) they talk about how the apps will be limited because they're "web apps" but couldn't download any of them and the ones that were pre-installed they said worked as well as on any other phone
    3) No mention of the camera

Wow, 2 days and this was the best they came up with?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I don't understand how they couldn't review the battery life. Did they have to give it back in an hour? Were they worried that they wouldn't be the first to get the review out so they only tested it for a couple of hours? This is not a thorough review...period!
    ??

The review wasn't that bad for what it is. He didn't really like the keyboard, but that seems like more of a preference thing. He said the OS was great and the screen was great, not to mention good installed apps. He also said it was a nice size for carrying around in your pocket. He did gloss over a bunch of things (especially cards/multitasking) but he said the OS was very good.

It seemed like a pretty fair review, if maybe a bit premature. He even admitted that he didn't really fully test battery life, probably because he wanted to be "first" with a review.

Maybe you guys were looking for a full in-depth every-single-feature-tested-and-reported-on review? If you want that, you're better off reading the hands-on threads here in the forum.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrajew View Post
    Maybe you guys were looking for a full in-depth every-single-feature-tested-and-reported-on review? If you want that, you're better off reading the hands-on threads here in the forum.

That's exactly what I am looking for. Not glance over the features for 20 minutes and then post your impressions. I bet they spent more time writing the review then actually reviewing it.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrajew View Post
    ??

The review wasn't that bad for what it is. He didn't really like the keyboard, but that seems like more of a preference thing. He said the OS was great and the screen was great, not to mention good installed apps. He also said it was a nice size for carrying around in your pocket. He did gloss over a bunch of things (especially cards/multitasking) but he said the OS was very good.

It seemed like a pretty fair review, if maybe a bit premature. He even admitted that he didn't really fully test battery life, probably because he wanted to be "first" with a review.

Yes, it was bad- it was an embarrassment to him, really. He does not have a production unit, so no dice. And saying "nice things" does not make the "review" any better. In another thread, I posted what I thought of it, so if let me cut 'n paste it here... (Ahem. Soapbox? Check. Ahem.)

That's not a review! Creditable sources and reviewers don't review pre-final builds of products, bottom line. How can you review the multimedia aspect of the phone when it can't be explored? How can you rate battery life when your "review" unit only has 2 1/2 hours left? What utter garbage.

Let me make this clear: YOU CAN'T REVIEW PRODUCTS THAT AREN'T COMPLETE! That was for the people in the cheap seats (I'm looking at you, BGR). Nothing worked in their review- but yet they tried to review it. Really? Thanks for your impressions, but let's call a duck a duck- it's a preview/first look/hands-on- but that's it.

I wanna smack them for being so stupid and careless. Hopefully everyone who reads it will realize that it's far from relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    That's exactly what I am looking for. Not glance over the features for 20 minutes and then post your impressions. I bet they spent more time writing the review then actually reviewing it.
    seriously
    I didn't like the review (I especially laughed at how they say the Pre's screen is just a little bit worse than the iPhone, and thus "near perfection". Apparently the iPhone screen is perfection and you cannot do anything better, ever!), but I will say it's far better than their earlier review. Some of the complaints were legitimate, and they did find some nice things to say, but their comparison to the iPhone as if it is the holy grail is disconcerting.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The comments here seem to be related to a completely different review -

I don't understand how comments like

yet we’re pretty confident once people are able to play a real unit themselves, there will be more than a lot of happy Palm Pre customers.
    The OS is great. There’s no ifs ands or buts; it’s really refreshing to see something that’s brand new with a UI unlike anything else out there.
    match up to the rage we see here.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Hopefully everyone who reads it will realize that it's far from relevant.
    Unfortunately, most of BGR readers are Apple fanboys so sadly, they don't understand bias.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

i played with a non working pre unit today at bestbuy and I have to say the keyboard does suck! But the screen does look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Yeah, not an in-depth review for sure, but I though it was fair. He had great things to say and bad things to say, not everything is going to be great. There are compromises with every phone, and if a large keyboard is a necessity, maybe the Pre isn't for you. I definitely will take more stock in Deiter's review though.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The comments here seem to be related to a completely different review -

I don't understand how comments like

match up to the rage we see here.
    I couldn't care less if his review was 100% glowing...it was a hands on PREVIEW, not a review.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    I didn't like the review (I especially laughed at how they say the Pre's screen is just a little bit worse than the iPhone, and thus "near perfection". Apparently the iPhone screen is perfection and you cannot do anything better, ever!), but I will say it's far better than their earlier review. Some of the complaints were legitimate, and they did find some nice things to say, but their comparison to the iPhone as if it is the holy grail is disconcerting.
    Betcha the "near-perfect" screen will seem a lot closer to perfection when I drop my phone and it doesn't break. I've had to replace two iPhone screens- one on the 3G, and one on the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Dacunha View Post
    i played with a non working pre unit today at bestbuy and I have to say the keyboard does suck! But the screen does look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If it was non-working then the screen wouldn't work either...no?

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pre_Dacunha View Post
    A dummy model? Those never feel like the real thing.
    Keyboard is so relative. My thumb covers 3 to 4 keys also and I type just fine. I don't even like the Curve compared to my Treo. He says he can type faster on Blackberry, iPhone, and E71. I bet those had a slight learning curve to it especially for the iPhone.

They don't even know how to use universal search! The reason why it appeared to not search locally was cause they didn't add any accounts to sync with.

Under multimedia they make no mention of WMP or iTunes syncing. This is hardly a complete review.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/29/2009 at 02:05 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Pathetic review. And not because of the negatives but because it had little depth to it. He was more concerned with being first to review IMO. You can't give this an honest review yet til Palm launches it.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast