Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I bet if it was the new iPhone that was beta, he would've gave a video and went into details about the functions that don't work but would've posted of an imaginary view of how it WOULD work if it was functioning. LMAO.
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    I have to join the chorus - BGR gets a huge F for their Pre review.

It was completely superficial and lacked any detail. It's clear that he was over the moon to have received a device, only to discover that it was a pre-production unit. Heck, he even states that the device was wiped clean and restarted. He however doesn't make any mention of why. There are two obvious theories to explain this: (1) there was a remote wipe (the kill pill of a unit illegitimately obtained); (2) it was BGR's attempt to reinstall and bring it's software up to current speed (which obviously didn't work).

More specifically, let's point out a few big criticisms. How do you review a smartphone, and leave out even a single mention of how it functions....AS A PHONE!?!? Again, it was a non-functioning unit probably, but ego stood in the way of admitting that.

No mention of: the camera, email, multitasking and a million other details. I would say that user d94's ongoing Q&A on this forum has given a far better picture of the device than the BGR review. He even did speed tests on dslreports.com. BGR - zilch! I mean, they don't even mention comparison to other phones, such as the iPhone, side by side.

It's a review that most could have written without even having the phone in their possession. Just watch all the videos floating around the web. BGR gives us mostly a rehash of things that have already been covered for the mostpart. Complete fail on this one BGR.

We'll have to wait until June 6th to get a real sense of the device, unless some other outpost gets hold of a real device and puts it through a real battery of tests.
    Last edited by bronxbomber; 05/29/2009 at 08:30 PM.
    I think Boygenius just wanted to say he was the first to review it, regardless of what it was. His problem, was he put up pics, and had no review for hours. Then my guess was he just put something together as quick as possible so he could make people happy who were claiming....come on already.

I think bronxbomber is right.

The reviews I like are the ones the do on crackberry. I've seen some solid reviews before and BGR wasn't even close.

This is what happens when you get in a hurry.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Here is my review of the BGR "review".

Weight/feel: We insist on our laptops, GPS devices, and pretty much every mobile technology we have to be light. This "review" blasts the phone for being light, which apparently means it is cheap. Seriously, this was a superficial look at the phone and everywhere it was different from the iPhone, it was inferior according to them.

Plastic screen: I'm sure many people who have dropped iPhones or put too much weight on that screen would feel that a seamless plastic screen is superior.

Keyboard: He is able to type on every other keyboard on the market except this one? I find that hard to believe considering other people have said it is small but better than some phones and worse than others. It seems like he tried to send two messages. He also said his thumb was the size of 3 keys. I have the same thing on my iPod Touch.

WebOS: Basically says it is good, but falls short because Palm didn't release the SDK to everyone. How long did it take Apple to do that? Palm themselves have said they are doing this slowly so they get it right. Also, WebOS IS the main selling point of this phone. Simply saying it's good for a 1.0 device is weak. Most of the other objective views we have seen on WebOS so far have said the OS is awesome. Apps should be in a different category and he should have actually reviewed the OS. Basically, he knew WebOS was far superior to the iPhone OS and didn't want to talk about it. He even said Symbian had better App support. Some of the people on Palm's list of partners still don't make apps for Symbian (or Android for that matter).

Synergy: He says its cool but admits that he hasn't done it. Then he feels that putting everything into one area is bad. Except, that is what synergy is. It has been said by many that it is annoying that it brings in all your Facebook contacts, but if they don't have email or phone numbers then they won't show up when you want to send an email or make a call. Who cares if they are on the phone? They will only show up in context appropriate areas.

Universal Search: "but what good is it when it just launches the respective web page for anything not stored locally?" Err... so is he saying that if something isn't stored locally he would rather have it return zero results? This critique doesn't even make sense. His other point about developers having access to search is valid, but I'm sure he only brought it up after hearing the Android 2.0 features. If those had not been announced I doubt he would have even thought about it. Also notice here that he doesn't point out where universal search is better in other phones. The only time he discusses when a particular phone is better, is when it is an iPhone.

The rest of the "review" basically shows the readers the he has a pre-release device. He claims no media, no apps in the app store, etc.. We have seen contrary hands on. Again, the only real flaws he points out are things that he feels the iPhone does better. He didn't even try to iTunes sync which seems silly considering how much publicity that got here and from Apple fanboys.

This quote in particular pretty much invalidates his entire review:
    "Palm’s never been a hardware company that anyone’s really cared about"

The thing is that he did point out a lot of positives, but in his summation he seemed to ignore them and blast Palm. Hopefully we get some actual REVIEWS soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZeEpEe View Post
    Keyboard is so relative. My thumb covers 3 to 4 keys also and I type just fine. I don't even like the Curve compared to my Treo. He says he can type faster on Blackberry, iPhone, and E71. I bet those had a slight learning curve to it especially for the iPhone.

They don't even know how to use universal search! The reason why it appeared to not search locally was cause they didn't add any accounts to sync with.

Under multimedia they make no mention of WMP or iTunes syncing. This is hardly a complete review.
    I agree...I love my treo 800w and the keyboard really doesnt look much smaller on the pre than my 800w. Plus, i agree that the curve keyboard aint all that either.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I just wanted to point out real quick about the weight/feel... that's not what he said at all. What he said was that it feels cheap, however this feeling of cheap may be because of an ingrained bias that heavier feeling objects seem to feel like they're more solidly made, and that it'll take some time to really see if that's the case. On top of that he did mention something about sharp edges that I didn't quite understand. That certainly could have been more clear.

I certainly am taking what he's saying with a grain of salt, and am just waiting the 8 days to get my hands on it myself, but if he's going to be blasted for his review, at least let it be about what he actually said.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    This might be the worst review ever. Its a unit that isnt even fully set up. The reviewer touches so lightly and briefly on everything. He doesnt even go into anything in depth. He also bat mouths Synergy because it puts his Facebook contacts with his other contacts. If he doesnt want them there then dont put them there.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I would bet money that BGR is getting paid under the table from Apple (because of the pre). I've been a Mac user for a long time, and I've never seen anyone come up with a product that seriously challenged Apple until the Palm pre. And just like OS X drives Apple hardware sales, webOS will drive Palm sales. It's entertaining for me to watch ex-Apple brass in a completely different environment.
    Last edited by Cooknn; 05/29/2009 at 11:11 PM.
  10. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Oh how cute:

Quote Originally Posted by The Boy Genius Report
    I don’t think you guys are getting the point… The unit is a full production unit running whatever the latest OS is. It’s just not simply a “review” unit. It is not a pre-release or prototype device, and whenever there’s a software upgrade, the software will be upgraded. As of now, OS 1.0.1 is the latest and that does not have the “complete” retail loaded files and applications. Not sure how much clearer or descriptive I can get without giving away my source — we will re-review the Palm Pre when we have a retail unit. If you’re upset we have a Palm Pre and the review didn’t live up to expectations, you’re free to stop visiting.
    To which my response is:

Okay, it isn't pre-release or a prototype hardware, but it currently doesn't have the "complete" retail loaded files and applications.

Which means it isn't the software people will be getting on June 6th.

Which means in it's current form, it's a pre-release device.

And you're going to "re-review" the Pre when you get the final software...

Doesn't that prove what we've been saying? I stand by my original assertion that this article should be a "Palm Pre Preview".
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Are you saying you'd be ok with the article if he changed the title of it?

Yes, because by naming it a review, all he's doing is drumming up traffic for something that is sub-par. Say whatever you want, just let's be accurate, that's clearly a preview, not a review.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If that's the case, that people were really angry because of the label of the article, then well... *shrugs*... I'm never going to understand the level of anger towards this specific article, but at least I got an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    If that's the case, that people were really angry because of the label of the article, then well... *shrugs*... I'm never going to understand the level of anger towards this specific article, but at least I got an answer.
    Well, a review implies certain things... that it's a complete product, that you've spent a certain amount of time with it, that you've gone through all the features, etc. If BGR considers what they wrote a review, then they need some work. But by changing the name of the article to a preview, that changes things entirely. There's no expected amount of thoroughness from a preview. And not being able to test the battery implies that they didn't have the device for long enough to do that, which again, doesn't fit with the definition of a review.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    You really don't get it, do you?
    Are you saying you'd be ok with the article if he changed the title of it?
    Since the quality of his review is barely a pre-preview (god that's a mind****), yes. He should change it to:

"Fanboy Trashes on Pre after using a somewhat-representative-of-the-retail-version of it for 5 minutes"*

(in small text below)
    *The reviewer has no claims to objectivity, decent writing, or anything "genius." He is merely a troll in disguise, and with a blog. MuAHhahah
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    You really don't get it, do you?
    Hey dont sweat it.. I can already see we have two what-seems-to-be-trolls on the forum...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Just an update of BGR comments...

On May 30, 2009 @ 12:07 am, The Boy Genius Said:

I don’t think you guys are getting the point… The unit is a full production unit running whatever the latest OS is. It’s just not simply a “review” unit. It is not a pre-release or prototype device, and whenever there’s a software upgrade, the software will be upgraded. As of now, OS 1.0.1 is the latest and that does not have the “complete” retail loaded files and applications. Not sure how much clearer or descriptive I can get without giving away my source — we will re-review the Palm Pre when we have a retail unit. If you’re upset we have a Palm Pre and the review didn’t live up to expectations, you’re free to stop visiting.

----------------

and....

On May 30, 2009 @ 12:18 am, The Boy Genius Said:

@RottingOrange

I have no problem posting an update, but I’m not sure how I was being deceiving? This is what ALL the Pres are running SEVEN days before release. What if the release version of webOS is v1.0.1? You’re going to think it’s an entirely different phone because it has a Help application? This was a review no one in the world could pull off — no one has a Pre they can post. I’m extremely satisfied with what we’ve been able to accomplish regardless of how our review was written and constructed. You act like this didn’t require any effort on our end — you know, getting a phone which hasn’t been allowed to be touched, ever.

------------------

More backtracking BS...

And what is up with the whole "We are SO special we have the only Pre available to review"?.... We have had a user on our forums (d94) that had a full model days before them... ("only Pre available to be touched, ever"... )

Like I said, I dont have a problem if they hated the phone, but please at least charge it up, check the voice quality, multitasking, etc....

At least they still feel that was a good and solid review... Great Work Guys!
    Last edited by mrkalel; 05/30/2009 at 07:40 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Okay, it isn't pre-release or a prototype hardware, but it currently doesn't have the "complete" retail loaded files and applications.

Which means it isn't the software people will be getting on June 6th.
    It isn't prerelease and it has all the software. messing with the software at this point or a week ago would push release back to Jul or August.
    BGR is a blog site. Nobody here had to pay to read his review. What he posted is his opinion. His opinion was also mostly positive. I am amazed of the negativity and down right nastiness from some of the people here. I noticed in the comments section on his website that a few people from here took time to post their opinions completely slamming BGR. Everybody needs to calm down.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast