Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 105
  1. #61  
    why didnt they just do a video review like every other phone
  2. #62  
    Because its easier to write a bad report than film one when the video will show the truth.
  3. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #63  
    So get these two responces from BGR in their comments section...

    ...pg 4

    On May 29, 2009 @ 3:49 pm, The Boy Genius Said:

    It’s not our fault Palm/Sprint didn’t send us a final review unit.

    We managed to get our hands on one, and whatever it was, it was.

    This is the most recent available OS as far as we’re aware.

    and... pg 5

    On May 29, 2009 @ 4:32 pm, The Boy Genius Said:

    @FTWDUDE

    Of course. Once we have a retail unit we were planning on revisiting everything.

    .....

    Do you believe that crap?
    This is lazy LAZY reporting... they should have prefaced the "Review" with that... or now tell everyone that they knew they didn't have a final unit.... Jesus... they really let me down... very biased..

    and BTW.. for the guy who said if we all know that the Pre isnt perfect... we all know that... but we expect honest & fair reporting....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    because its easier to write a bad report than film one when the video will show the truth.
    bingo!!!!
  5. #65  
    Guys, I'd recomemend not letting stuff like this bother you. There will be reviews that are valid, and ones that tear down the Pre because it's not an iPhone (still debating on what route Gizmodo will end up taking).

    Some people get upset, worried and angry. It is what it is.
  6. #66  
    what annoys me isn't the verdict, but the shoddiness of the 'review'.

    I also really dislike that people continue to misunderstand and misrepresent the Mojo SDK as being no better than what apple did for the iphone when it first came out. Just because the languages are HTML5 and javascript doesn't mean that quite a bit of lower-level phone functionality isn't available.

    This is a short, incomplete, uninformed preview at best. If someone bothers to do a full in-depth review and doesn't like the phone, that's fine, but please step up the quality of the reporting.
  7. StefanP's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #67  
    omg, I checked their website 20 times in the past two days in anticipation of this so-called first real hands-on review as they called it.

    this is what they said:
    [q]Yes — you’re looking at the first site in the world to have a Palm Pre (or at least be able to post it up). There’s so much to say but that’s going to have to wait for our full review.[/q]

    and it was absolutely rubbish. not because they were negative about the pre, they have every right to be so. but because it took them two whole days to write absolutely nothing interesting. everything they had to say was said before, most of it months ago. they didn't have ANY new views on it.

    I could have written a better "review" without having a pre, just by quoting some stuff from the forums.
  8. #68  
    Ok - here is what we should do.

    There is no point arguing it on this board we should post on all these forums and review websites the truth.

    Palm has invested heavily in developing the Pre and they don't have the marketing budget or the shills to push the Pre. We should at least give Palm some support.
  9. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #69  
    I don't understand why so many people are angry at him because he doesn't have a production unit. It's not like Palm said, "Here, you can review this unfinished one, or the one we're actually going to sell," and then he chose the unfinished product.

    I thought the review was pretty fair, and agree about being confused with the amount of rage shown at the article.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  10. #70  
    FanBoyGeniusReport.

    I'll wait for the demo units to show up at the Bell store and reserve my judgement till then.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11. #71  
    For such a bad review, we sure are wasting a lot of time talking about it!
  12. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #72  
    ohhh... BTW guys... another response just put up... I guess we are getting under their skin....

    On May 29, 2009 @ 6:45 pm, The Boy Genius Said:

    Does it really matter all that much? There will be plenty of other reviews you can tear apart, this was a review based on a unit we had access to, running whatever it was running, and we did the best we could.

    Forgive us if we skirted around some areas of the phone which could have possibly jeopardized our source (phone calling for instance).

    Thanks

    ....

    Can you believe thy asked "Does it really matter that much?.."
    Wow... they hyped that initial "review" for 3 day and now asked if it matters... So why post it?
    Pretty Lame IMO... & a crappy excuse...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    Guys, I'd recomemend not letting stuff like this bother you. There will be reviews that are valid, and ones that tear down the Pre because it's not an iPhone (still debating on what route Gizmodo will end up taking).

    Some people get upset, worried and angry. It is what it is.

    Are you kidding? Gizmodo will be pro-iPhone guaranteed.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  14. #74  
    "Boygenius review, likes the Palm Pre"

    I saw that on the homepage here, and honestly, while he said some decent things about it, I dont think he REALLY likes it. Seems to me he gave it more negative comments and bad vibes then good. I read the article, and even though i'm not getting one cause of my plan, just his crappy review made me NOT want to get one.

    I know it wasn't a REAL SOLID review, but damn, it kind of depressed me to read it, all but a few sentences.

    Keyboard: "It’s really not good. It’s really such an important area that couldn’t afford to be messed with and we’ll admit it… we’re a little let down. You can’t compete with RIM in the keyboard area and you can’t compete with Apple in the soft-keyboard area, so how are people going to enjoy using your product when the data entry isn’t perfection?"

    Feel: "To be honest, the device feels a little cheap. The edges of the bottom piece are sharp on the back of the screen and even worse, when sliding it up and down, the top part that houses the screen will sometimes catch on itself.

    It feels good in your hand, but the actual build quality really leaves a lot to be desired. One of our friends that checked it out over here said it felt like a Fisher Price toy. We wouldn’t go that far, but it really seems to be constructed with lower-grade materials compared to other flagship phones."

    "Hey, what about Universal Search? Well, it works ok. We guess."

    "One thing we didn’t tell you in our Hands On was that during our first photo session, the device completely reset. Like, wiped clean reset. We had to go through the entire setup process and get the phone up and running."
    (And I am sure it's not a final OS, or I hope it isn't. But seeing how there is only a week left, who knows.)

    "navigating is a little bit of a problem. We found that zooming in and out didn’t produce a smooth effect, rather it simply increased the size of the page sort of how Internet Explorer zooms in."

    Precentral quotes something else on the front site, but I look at this...

    "The only problem with this is, Palm’s never been a hardware company that anyone’s really cared about. They have been the furthest thing from innovative since circa-2003 — their hardware has always been second rate at best and it doesn’t seem to be changing now. Couple that with the nation’s underdog carrier at a $299 price-point (before rebate), and we’re not sure how many people are going to be lined up overnight"

    While yes he said some great things about it, I ULTIMATELY think, and this is my personal opinion, is that he really doesn't like it, and it's not what it was all hyped up to be.

    I'll just be glad when it is TRULY out, and all of you are reviewing it. This will ultimately tell if it's a flop or not. I know our hopes are high, but time will only tell when it gets in people's hands to really review it. We may all be excited like the 800w, and then get let down, and everyone is back to another phone.

    I know I was jumping up and down when I knew the 800w was coming out, got it the first day, and thought... HECK YEAH! I got the phone I wanted. About 2 weeks later I returned it, and have been using the 700p ever since. I hope for Palms sake that doesn't happen with the Pre. We all know Palms track record the past few years, with devices and software.
  15. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #75  
    You guys are just so hard to please. If the review was completely negative, I think you guys would have been happier to just easily say he's 100% biased, and doesn't know what he's talking about, but the fact that he said some positive things along with the negative makes it harder to take.

    So what if he says the build feels cheap. I thought that was pretty interesting, and am waiting to hold on in my hands myself to see if I agree or not.

    So he didn't really like the keyboard. I've never felt the blackberry keyboards that he's talking about, so my comparison will be from the Centro and Treo 650, and maybe I'll like it better than him. Doesn't mean he's wrong in his opinion of it.

    The zooming issue I thought was also interesting. If that's how it works, then it simply isn't better than the way the iphone does it. (From what I get from his review, I didn't really pay much attention to zooming with the iphones that I played with.)

    I don't really feel like going on, but the rabid hate of his review just baffles me.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  16. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    You guys are just so hard to please. If the review was completely negative, I think you guys would have been happier to just easily say he's 100% biased, and doesn't know what he's talking about, but the fact that he said some positive things along with the negative makes it harder to take.

    So what if he says the build feels cheap. I thought that was pretty interesting, and am waiting to hold on in my hands myself to see if I agree or not.

    So he didn't really like the keyboard. I've never felt the blackberry keyboards that he's talking about, so my comparison will be from the Centro and Treo 650, and maybe I'll like it better than him. Doesn't mean he's wrong in his opinion of it.

    The zooming issue I thought was also interesting. If that's how it works, then it simply isn't better than the way the iphone does it. (From what I get from his review, I didn't really pay much attention to zooming with the iphones that I played with.)

    I don't really feel like going on, but the rabid hate of his review just baffles me.
    Well, most of the criticism is of the quality of the review (poor), rather than the conclusions he's come to (Of course, if the methodology of the review is flawed, then how can his conclusions hold any weight?).

    And if the review was based on a device that isn't fully functional, on a device that doesn't even have the media player or the app store functional, then how can this be a true review of the device? How can he base his impressions on a review device that was never meant for public view?

    More importantly, how can you excuse this behavior from what is generally regarded as a reputable source for consumer electronics information?

    Think about it, yeah?
    Last edited by Xyg; 05/29/2009 at 07:32 PM.
  17. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #77  
    I'm a longtime Mac user that never bought into the iPhone hype. I used to frequent BGR, but it appears to me that they may be drinking Steve's Kool-Aid. They threw enough slightly positive remarks in with their obviously negative review/preview that some readers might be fooled. Even PreCentral says Boy Genius Like the Pre. I don't think so. More importantly I don't care. Although I care enough to write this for some reason :P
  18. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Well, most of the criticism is of the quality of the review (poor), rather than the conclusions he's come to (Of course, if the methodology of the review is flawed, then how can his conclusions hold any weight?).

    And if the review was based on a device that isn't fully functional, on a device that doesn't even have the media player or the app store functional, then how can this be a true review of the device? How can he base his impressions on a review device that was never meant for public view?

    More importantly, how can you excuse this behavior from what is generally regarded as a reputable source for consumer electronics information?

    Think about it, yeah?
    If the fact that it's not a production device invalidates anything that he's saying, then as long as he says that it's not a production unit, it's all fair game. No, he didn't state that specifically in the title, and that definitely should have been done, but by reading the review, it's pretty clear that's what he's working with.

    It's not like he's basing his impressions off of the information that everyone else already has, and is just making up conclusions like some of the other reviews/predictions. He has something physical in his hand to feel the hardware, and test out the software.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
  19. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerorne View Post
    If the fact that it's not a production device invalidates anything that he's saying, then as long as he says that it's not a production unit, it's all fair game. No, he didn't state that specifically in the title, and that definitely should have been done, but by reading the review, it's pretty clear that's what he's working with.

    It's not like he's basing his impressions off of the information that everyone else already has, and is just making up conclusions like some of the other reviews/predictions. He has something physical in his hand to feel the hardware, and test out the software.
    The fact that he failed to imply that it wasn't a final production device calls into question his level of professionalism, I say.
  20. Gerorne's Avatar
    Posts
    506 Posts
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    The fact that he failed to imply that it wasn't a final production device calls into question his level of professionalism, I say.
    If he failed to imply it, then why is that the first complaint that many people state. It was obvious enough for all the readers here to understand that.

    I can understand complaining that it was a review of pre-production model. But complaining that that it was a pre-production model then complaining that the rest of his conclusions weren't his conclusions... that's what doesn't make sense to me. That and the level of animosity that accompanies it.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

    Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions