Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    PreThinking seems to disagree about BGR's opinion of the Pre's keyboard:

"Boy Genius has pulled off something no one else has (except for Prethinking's review), writing a review of the Palm Pre. They make some valid conclusions which I noticed with my review but I wholeheartedly disagree with the keyboard. BGR must have large fingers because I feel that Pre is MUCH easier to type on than the Treo 700p."
    I feel like d94 did a lot better of a job reviewing the Pre unofficially and without being as famous as BGR, with a whole lot less fluff, and a whole lot faster.

I find it very suspicious that the device wiped itself during the review... Perhaps it wasn't a legitimately-obtained Pre? Remote wipe anyone? It sounds like he doesn't have a clue about most of the features.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    From just reading it through, it had way too much of a negative vibe. Very few things that were excellent were given praise. Seems like they need to just stay with reviewing iPhones. And what?! That person can type faster on the iPhone's piece of crap touchscreen keyboard?!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's plastic so umm...

Are you expecting a metal feel? A glass feel?
    Apparently it didn't weigh enough for his liking.
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    Yes, it was bad- it was an embarrassment to him, really. He does not have a production unit, so no dice. And saying "nice things" does not make the "review" any better. In another thread, I posted what I thought of it, so if let me cut 'n paste it here... (Ahem. Soapbox? Check. Ahem.)

That's not a review! Creditable sources and reviewers don't review pre-final builds of products, bottom line. How can you review the multimedia aspect of the phone when it can't be explored? How can you rate battery life when your "review" unit only has 2 1/2 hours left? What utter garbage.

Let me make this clear: YOU CAN'T REVIEW PRODUCTS THAT AREN'T COMPLETE! That was for the people in the cheap seats (I'm looking at you, BGR). Nothing worked in their review- but yet they tried to review it. Really? Thanks for your impressions, but let's call a duck a duck- it's a preview/first look/hands-on- but that's it.

I wanna smack them for being so stupid and careless. Hopefully everyone who reads it will realize that it's far from relevant.
    What he said
    You know, I have to say: I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not the best review (not even a good review, really, from an objective qualitative standpoint), but it's not so terrible either. And, if we know going in that the guy's an Apple fanboy, then why do we give a rat's arse what he says about the Pre? Ultimately, it sounds like he liked the Pre in spite of himself, which is really high praise coming from such as him (such as he?).

Wait until the Macrumors of the world get their hands on the Pre. Then I'm guessing we'll have something to complain about.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    LAME...I learned alot more in d94's thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Apparently it didn't weigh enough for his liking.
    The funny thing is that the Iphone and Palm Pre weight the same, haha
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Wait until the Macrumors of the world get their hands on the Pre. Then I'm guessing we'll have something to complain about.
    They will end up putting the Pre in a negative affect since Apple pays them (i.e their stockholders). If they were to review it comparable/better then the iphone they would lose money from users switching to the Pre and not buying apps and filling their pockets. BGR wants to be Engadget. You can tell BGR knows nothing about not including personal bias in writing a review.

Overall BGR is only good for gathering info early. As far as phone review's are concerned, PhoneArena, Phonescoop, and Engadget have been some of the better non biased ones imo.
    For those that are saying his hands are big, reread!
    My hands aren’t that big (I can type faster than you could ever dream on a BlackBerry, iPhone or E71) and my thumb literally takes up 3 or 4 keys on the keyboard
    the PREview wasnt that bad...but it wasnt a review....a full review reviews all aspects of a FINISHED product.

But like i said, he didnt trash the phone...he just pointed out some shortcomings (which i expected)

BUT i will still be at bestbuy at 2am...will have pics!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    For those that are saying his hands are big, reread!
    My thumb takes up 4 keys on the centro and I type faster then on any other phone except other Palm phones.
    Definitely a preview and not a real review. Didn't even really talking about multitasking or the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    I feel like d94 did a lot better of a job reviewing the Pre unofficially and without being as famous as BGR, with a whole lot less fluff, and a whole lot faster.

I find it very suspicious that the device wiped itself during the review... Perhaps it wasn't a legitimately-obtained Pre? Remote wipe anyone? It sounds like he doesn't have a clue about most of the features.
    Definitely going to have to agree with you on this one. I mean come on, "First review of Palm Pre" is hardly a truthful statement. Like everyone in this thread had said before, this was just a hands on look at a 'few' of the great features. Obivously people here are more biased to this, and feel BGR is just an iPhone fanboi... which he is... but to claim that you're reviewing something when it actually isn't complete is like trying to rate a pizza that lacks sauce, cheese, and hasn't even been in the oven.

What a ding bat for taking so long to review a 'test model' of a phone. I'm going to stick on this site and wait for more updates from d94 - keep them coming! Even if he may not have a real 'final release' pre, it's still a better job of reviewing the Pre than BGR will ever do.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    What a freakin lame review, no mention of how well the cards worked, multitasking...they did praise the OS! The keyboard isn't an issue, it will just take some getting use too, plus there might be a touch screen keyboard coming up. So all in all they liked the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    If you actually read people's responses in this thread, people are upset that they're calling this a review, and failed to mention KEY ASPECTS of the phone.

I know it's always fun to be the devil's advocate, have the "opposite" view, and pretend like you're the calm one. But take some time to read people's responses to realize what they're actually mad about.
    Or at least what they say they mad about.
    Why would you write a review with the battery life at near empty? Wouldn't it be ideal to start the review with the battery full then have a section on battery life? They mentioned in the review that the phone turned off on them unexpectedly.. Uhm.. maybe the low battery life had something to do with it? To add to that, NOTHING at all about call quality, email or even about multitasking- the core elements.. This review looks half *** to me.
    It wasn't a review as much as an opinion piece. A review would have some real world tests of how long pages loaded over wifi compared to an Iphone as that would discount testing of the Sprint Network.

A comparison of the keyboard v the Blackberry would have been useful. None of this is rocket science.

Note how he covered the aspects that most consumers consider when buying a phone -

quality of plastics - most use phones with covers on so this is a neglible issue.

How can you say the screen is just off the Iphone- what does that mean provide some real world speed tests - just too opinionated and not factual enough.

We know it does not come with an SDK nor did the first Iphone - it's not a deal breaker as you can develop rich web apps whichs seems all the crze at the moment.
    They seem to look for stuff just to bash like:

Iíd like my Facebook contacts in a Facebook application, not in my main contacts app mixed with my Exchange and personal contacts. Obviously you can just not link Facebook, but the point is that centralizing data isnít the end-all answer to our problems.
    The only point to adding Facebook to Synergy at the moment is to add your Facebook friends to your Contacts. If you don't like it don't add them! I personally like how it does it. Because I may not have all my friends' email addresses, birthdays, or etc in one spot, and it brings it all together for me.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Wow this guy nailed it - on BRG

"“We managed to get our hands on one, and whatever it was, it was.”

And yet BGR calls this a REVIEW. Not a EXTENDED PREVIEW. Not a BETA HANDS-ON. A REVIEW.

A “review” in which multi-tasking - the killer app of WebOS - wasn’t tested; no testing of GPS accuracy was conducted; no pictures were taken with the camera; and most shockingly, especially that only two of the first 95 comments noticed, no fraking PHONE CALLS were made with what is at its core a telephone!

How can you claim to be reviewing a PHONE when you don’t bother making phone calls?!? Even the mighty Jesus Phone has been dogged with poor call quality, but since it’s Apple, it’s forgiven. (Apple products could cause family members and pets to die and people would still purchase them because of the perceived status appeal.)

BGR was so eager to attract traffic to their FIRST REVIEW EVAR of the Pre that they didn’t bother making it worth the click to look and most won’t be back now that they see shoddiness in reporting appears to be the rule here. You know how the shampoo ad says “you never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression”? Exactly."
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast