Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter E Kurtz View Post
    Well I mean iPhone's could only be purchased at Apple Stores on day 1 correct? And there are a lot more Sprint stores than Apple...

Unless I'm totally off.
    No, it was both.
    you could of also gotten it at ATT if you wanted to, but i think must bois went to the mother ship nearest to them.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I plan on being there about 2 hrs early (Sprint store). We have a non-corporate sprint store within walking distance of my house and they said that they are getting zero pres. Also, the Radio Shack a block away is getting zero as well.
    I agree entirely that it definitely seems like there's going to be chaos. I'm hoping by Monday or Tuesday things firm up a ton.
    I am going the Sprint route to get it at 8am and avoid lines. I'll have the wife fill out the mail-in (she's good at that stuff). By 10am, I should be getting everything set up. I'll have gone through the manual by the 4th.

My bet is that shortages are real and they want to avoid a disaster. The media blitz should start before the 6th, but not enough to create a frenzy. Besides, what's to be frenzied about? Remember, except for synergy and good multi-tasking, the Pre isn't new. It's not the first with proximity sensors or accelerometers. Not the first with Youtube. It's also not Apple-cool or hip.

That's fine by me, but we shouldn't expect Apple-type manias for what is more aptly a geek-phone marketed to Web 2.0 consumers.

The 40+ set will likely be uninterested in large numbers and they're the ones with the real money paying for better PC integration (WM, RIM). The Pre will do well because it's simple and robust, but I don't see mania anywhere except a few big U.S. cities on the Coasts and maybe Chicago.
    My buddy works at sprint and he said himself alone pulls in about 3-8 calls a day about the pre. This isn't even in a large city at all.. So imagine what COULD happen on launch day in a big city.

I'm prob gonna bring a flask, my laptop, and sit on a chair and watch a movie or two and drink.. Prob get there by like ehh lets say 4-5ish am at the latest.. I've been watching this phone toooo closely to let 2 people get in front of me and boom, they only had 2. So I'm def going to try and be first.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    My buddy works at sprint and he said himself alone pulls in about 3-8 calls a day about the pre. This isn't even in a large city at all.. So imagine what COULD happen on launch day in a big city.

I'm prob gonna bring a flask, my laptop, and sit on a chair and watch a movie or two and drink.. Prob get there by like ehh lets say 4-5ish am at the latest.. I've been watching this phone toooo closely to let 2 people get in front of me and boom, they only had 2. So I'm def going to try and be first.

Judging from the way kids here are so anxious to get a Pre, I'd say those 8 calls could be coming from one or two people, rather than 8...
    Well my friend who is an indirect Sprint rep told me today that she is not sure if she will have any for launch day. Her corp rep says they haven't made a decision yet about indirect reps having it by launch day. She is amazed that so much is still in the air over this phone. She was able to get the Instinct and Nextel BB before the launch day! Makes me think the shortages are real. She did put me in contact with a manager at the local Corp. store and he says that he will make sure that I get one and that he will start selling them Friday at 6pm!
    I could see 10-15 people in line at some of the bigger stores in cities like New York or L.A., but that's about it. I'd be SHOCKED if there was a line of 50 people or more!

Palm seems to be falling into the trap of looking at what Apple does and drawing faulty conclusions from that. Could Palm execs actually think that the long lines at iPhone launches actually create demand? Could this be the reason for the talk of shortages of the Pre at launch, that they're trying to create iPhone-like hype? The lines at the iPhone launches are not because of perceived shortages. Those folks are buying iPhones IN SPITE of those lines! You don't create demand for a product by telling your potential customers there may not be enough. And Palm is not in the same boat as Apple. Palm doesn't have the #1 hottest mobile going. They're trying to break in with a new model. Rather than trying to induce an iPhone-esque frenzy they should be trying to fill the demand and get as many new Pres into consumer hands as is humanly possible. This whole "lets chase Apple" mentality is a recipe for disaster, especially for a struggling company like Palm.
    my thinking is a) palm has noones trust anymore b) they havent advertised c) sprint isnt bringing in new customers

this phone will be big to the people who know about it, but their WILL NOT be the nutty lines. Im not taking my chances and im getting to best buy at 2am (the earliest the security will let you camp, i checkd). But i wouldnt fear it, the phones WILL sell out maybe even on day 1....but i dont think there will be near the madness of the iphone. THEY HAVENT EVEN HAD ONE PRE SPECIFIC AD!
    Mike (FOOmanJEW) Jaret-Schachter
    Running With Scissors
    Producer
    www.runningwithscissors.com
    www.twitter.com/mikejaret
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Judging from the way kids here are so anxious to get a Pre, I'd say those 8 calls could be coming from one or two people, rather than 8...
    Actually, I heard it was 8 different people but the caller ID had the same number. So, it was 1 person asking his friends and relatives to call for him.

Seriously, I think Chaos wasn't the right word for the iPhone launch but those long lines did a LOT to make people who don't care about phone take notice. So, I'd say that "choas" was a huge success.

I'm pretty sure Sprint stores will see a noticeable increase in volume on June 6 but I think I may be able to get a Pre that weekend. I just want to talk to a Sprint rep first to make sure my discounts on my current plan transfer to the new agreement - or I'll be sticking with my Treo Pro.
    There is another possible explanation for the 'lack' of an advertising blitz by Sprint. The advertising blitz would of course create the environment of chaos and total disorder at the Sprint stores on the launch day morning. Perhaps, if you think back, there were a number of situations when the Wii and Playstations were the cause of actual and near riots at stores on 'black Friday' because of sale prices. The iphone also created similar problems at the initial launch.

It is pausible that Sprint, even though they have done much to improve their inmage to the public, just don't want the risk of media blitz advertising hoping to draw massive crowds on launch day. Crowds that may cause more problems and liability than Spring needs. Maybe, the advertising blitz isn't a necessary as many believe. Palm makes good products. They have over the years. Now they have something revolutionary in the Pre. I think it will sell itself, and Sprint has the exclusive on it until the end of the year. By then, anyone that wants one bad enough, will have it. If you love ATT or Verizon, it won't make any difference to you until they get it next year.

(just a couple thoughts)
    ^^^^^^^^^

http://www.precentral.net/dan-hesse-...dvertising-pre

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hesse
    We don't intend to advertise it heavily early on because we think we are going to have shortages for a while. We won't be able to keep up with demand for the device in the early period of time.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    well it's good that they are at least acknowledging and ANTICIPATING high demand which means they won't be caught off guard and are trying to take steps to make sure supply exists. hopefully they have enough for launch day - i don't care much about supply after that!
    iphone 1.0 release - June 29, 2007 - was a Friday.

i wish Pre was released on a Friday as opposed to a Saturday - less chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    well it's good that they are at least acknowledging and ANTICIPATING high demand which means they won't be caught off guard and are trying to take steps to make sure supply exists. hopefully they have enough for launch day - i don't care much about supply after that!
    Supply/demand will mean nothing to me once I have mine in-hand.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Maybe this June 6th is kind of a pre-launch, and all the ad blitz will come for the original June 27th launch day, where they will probably be getting a second shipment. Remember they once talked about having a soft launch first?
    Quote Originally Posted by dannns View Post
    Maybe this June 6th is kind of a pre-launch, and all the ad blitz will come for the original June 27th launch day, where they will probably be getting a second shipment. Remember they once talked about having a soft launch first?

Actually the original launch date was in May, and they missed that one already.
    I wasn't concerned too much about launch-day chaos until today... I called up three stores for the first time today, and two of them aren't sure of their plans for Saturday yet... That's fine a week before it, but today is less than a week to go, the stores should have a firm idea by now.
    Hey Alan when I get mine I will post pics on MV.net so you can see it before you get yours! LOL
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast