1.    #1  
    Now I've heard it all...I call a sprint store and ask the guy about the Pre and its availability and he tells me that they are only selling the Pre to those people who have received an email from sprint announcing its availablity. I told him I signed up for that, but have yet to receive an email, so he tells me we won't be getting an email until the DAY OF the release. I ask him so if I show up when your doors open on Saturday morning and don't have a copy of that email I can't get a phone, and he said yes.

Then I call another store and a totally different experience. I ask about getting the Pre, and lo and behold this guy is the Advocate for his store. Of course I ask for impressions of the phone, nothing new there. He loves the screen, the keyboard is better than than the treo and depends on what you're used to typing on it may require some adjustment and getting used to. Said the youtube player works great and there are no limitations on it. You can search for videos and everything. Said some videos look better than others. He wasn't the type to over-hype it or anything, pointed out some of the current deficiencies without me even asking, such as not being able to edit word docs and no flash. He didn't want to speculate on how many units they would be receiving. Asked about camera and he didn't hype it up, his response was simply that any cell phone camera regardless of megapixels is going to be limited and will never replace a real digital camera.

Didn't wanna get too carried away with the questions such as battery life and the plasticky feel and all that mess. We'll be hearing enough about that, I'm sure.

The one thing he did offer was to take my number and to call to let me know if there are any change of plans with the release, such as Friday evening. He did say there were definitely opening at 8 on Saturday.

I'm still undecided if I want to take that plunge and be a first adopter...I'm currently with sprint so I could do the 30 day thing fairly painlessly and just go back to my piece of crap if it doesn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleemie View Post
    Now I've heard it all...I call a sprint store and ask the guy about the Pre and its availability and he tells me that they are only selling the Pre to those people who have received an email from sprint announcing its availablity. I told him I signed up for that, but have yet to receive an email, so he tells me we won't be getting an email until the DAY OF the release. I ask him so if I show up when your doors open on Saturday morning and don't have a copy of that email I can't get a phone, and he said yes.

Then I call another store and a totally different experience. I ask about getting the Pre, and lo and behold this guy is the Advocate for his store. Of course I ask for impressions of the phone, nothing new there. He loves the screen, the keyboard is better than than the treo and depends on what you're used to typing on it may require some adjustment and getting used to. Said the youtube player works great and there are no limitations on it. You can search for videos and everything. Said some videos look better than others. He wasn't the type to over-hype it or anything, pointed out some of the current deficiencies without me even asking, such as not being able to edit word docs and no flash. He didn't want to speculate on how many units they would be receiving. Asked about camera and he didn't hype it up, his response was simply that any cell phone camera regardless of megapixels is going to be limited and will never replace a real digital camera.

Didn't wanna get too carried away with the questions such as battery life and the plasticky feel and all that mess. We'll be hearing enough about that, I'm sure.

The one thing he did offer was to take my number and to call to let me know if there are any change of plans with the release, such as Friday evening. He did say there were definitely opening at 8 on Saturday.

I'm still undecided if I want to take that plunge and be a first adopter...I'm currently with sprint so I could do the 30 day thing fairly painlessly and just go back to my piece of crap if it doesn't work out.
    Forum member, d94, started a thread answering our questions about the Pre. Perhaps many of your questions are answered there, as well. I think it's still on the first page.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  3. msb
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I just came back from my local Sprint store and spoke with their Pre advocate (although, I swear I heard him call himself an "ambassador"). Anyway, he confirmed to me that they would be selling the Pre Friday night at 6PM for those with an "email". (This isn't an "event party" store, by the way).

I asked him if it was for Premier customers and he said, "anybody who signs up on the website." He also said to expect the email to go out Wednesday or Thursday.

I also asked him a few questions about the Pre and he was pretty psyched. He said he's had one for a while and said that you can't appreciate how good it is until you use it for a while. He wasn't talking about the hardware, but the software and "synergy". He also said that if you are a die-hard PalmOS guy, then you may be disappointed, because they basically "threw everything away" in this version. (I didn't bring up the PalmOS emulator, because it was clear he was talking about the OS and not software.)

I acted sort of dumb (acted?) just to see if I could catch him in an "exaggeration" or accidentally let something slip, but to his credit he didn't oversell it or try to say it was something it wasn't. He did say, however, that he hasn't paid for a Sprint phone in over 3 years, but this will be the first one he is willing to pay for.

One last thing he mentioned about the software that I hadn't heard before (I certainly could have missed it). He said that if you have a meeting scheduled at a specific location for a specific time. The GPS can determine your current location and can figure out that you will probably be late. Then you get an alert to this fact and it asks you if you want to send a message to the people that you are meeting letting them know. Sounded pretty cool to me...
    It seems to me like almost every store has their own rules/instructions on how they are selling the Pre. If you live in a big metropolitian city, I suggest calling all the local stores so you can figure out the story from each store. I would wait untill the 4th to call though.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSB View Post

One last thing he mentioned about the software that I hadn't heard before (I certainly could have missed it). He said that if you have a meeting scheduled at a specific location for a specific time. The GPS can determine your current location and can figure out that you will probably be late. Then you get an alert to this fact and it asks you if you want to send a message to the people that you are meeting letting them know. Sounded pretty cool to me...
    Roger MacNamee had mentioned that months ago but it kind of passed over because of all the other things he said at that time. Too bad, as I think it's a fantastic feature.
    i called 3 stores yesterday with a simple question: will you be getting the pre?

3 different responses were:
    we dont know
    we hope so, but we dont know
    hold on. 5 minutes later i hung up because no one came back on.

the 3rd one is probably where i will be buying my phone, cause they have a notice about closing early on the 5th.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    i called 3 stores yesterday with a simple question: will you be getting the pre?

3 different responses were:
    we dont know
    we hope so, but we dont know
    hold on. 5 minutes later i hung up because no one came back on.

the 3rd one is probably where i will be buying my phone, cause they have a notice about closing early on the 5th.
    It is becoming more and more clear that Sprint is the weak link in this Pre chain. Why the hell wouldn't a store know if they're getting the Pre.

It's not like they were asked how many. Just IF.

That's ridiculous.

It really makes me think that Sprint needs to undergo the kind of transformation that McNamee and Rubinstein said took place at Palm. Really. They just need to get their $#!+ completely together.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I have dropped by two different Sprint stores and asked about the Pre and if I could speak to their advocate. Both times I was met with utter disinterest and the employees could care less. They were not even remotely interested or felt that there would even be much interest in sales when it comes out. It seems that they feel June 6th will be just another day.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Every corporate store whose employees I've talked to have stressed the importance of signing up for the notification email on Sprint.com. They have said they cannot reveal any other details (with the requisite nervous or smirky expression on their faces) until the mid-to-latter part of next week.

So I'm not calling, visiting or doing anything more with Sprint until at least the 4th.

Well, maybe the 3rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmod View Post
    Every corporate store whose employees I've talked to have stressed the importance of signing up for the notification email on Sprint.com. They have said they cannot reveal any other details (with the requisite nervous or smirky expression on their faces) until the mid-to-latter part of next week.

So I'm not calling, visiting or doing anything more with Sprint until at least the 4th.

Well, maybe the 3rd.
    I was told the same last week and signed up, for the third time, on sprint.com
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    I have dropped by two different Sprint stores and asked about the Pre and if I could speak to their advocate. Both times I was met with utter disinterest and the employees could care less. They were not even remotely interested or felt that there would even be much interest in sales when it comes out. It seems that they feel June 6th will be just another day.
    From what we've heard from forum members hassling them, I'm sure it gets old real quick.

Maybe I can give a scenario to help better relate. Think of your job. There is probably a process that you do everyday. Lets say you're not allowed to talk about the process or you really have no clue how it works. Everyday, some one walks up to you at your job and tries to pry information from you.

I understand they work in sales but they don't know any more information than we do. I'm sure the whole e-mail thing is all they actually know because it would have been leaked already. Sprint wouldn't keep a secret from us but expect all of the nationwide employees to be able to. They are probably on a strictly 'need to know' basis.

I'm guessing we might get something for being first interested in the Pre (maybe even a tshirt who knows). Too many reps have told this story and I'm sure they were told "tell them to hold onto those emails."

I'm hoping its a get out of your MIR free card.

To conclude, this thread should have been here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-one-spot.html
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Well I was able to walk out of my local Sprint store (Santa Maria, CA) leaving behind $50.00 and with a sales order for a Pre on the 5th. In the store they are advertising they will be open on the 5th from 6 P.M. to midnight.

It is a non-refundable deposit that will be applied to the $299 price. They were allotted 16 Pre's - 8 for new customers and 8 for upgrades, and the store starting taking the $50.00 deposit's this morning. I figured what the heck, I already have signed up for one through my work - so which ever one I get first, I'll return the other one within the 30 day window. We'll see how it works out?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Well I was able to walk out of my local Sprint store (Santa Maria, CA) leaving behind $50.00 and with a sales order for a Pre on the 5th. In the store they are advertising they will be open on the 5th from 6 P.M. to midnight.

It is a non-refundable deposit that will be applied to the $299 price. They were allotted 16 Pre's - 8 for new customers and 8 for upgrades, and the store starting taking the $50.00 deposit's this morning. I figured what the heck, I already have signed up for one through my work - so which ever one I get first, I'll return the other one within the 30 day window. We'll see how it works out?
    thanks for info.