Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I would much rather spend $300 on the Pre and a Touchstone charger than $400+.

Why go through the hassle if Best Buy makes it easier for you?

I wouldn't consider it lazy, I'd say its using your resources wisely to avoid any extra work. I'd rather be playing with my Pre from Best Buy than fooling around with rebates.

If Best Buy is out, I'll head to the Sprint store. If not, I'll wait.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Best bet is to goto bestbuy that's my goal.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noto220 View Post
    Best bet is to goto bestbuy that's my goal.
    One of my local Best Buys is getting 9 phones (limit one even on family plans), the other is getting none. Best Buy is a very place for average-consumers so they'll probably have bigger crowds which means you may have to camp. My Best Buy mobile rep put me on the top of the list for a Pre but I went in the other day and they said they won't be honoring that and my best bet is to come back in a few weeks.

As for the people who actually DEFEND the rebate thing. C'mon. Unless you work for Sprint/Palm or are a stock holder then what the heck are you talking about? You are a CONSUMER and even if you try to simplify it to being a task that even a monkey can do, it's still an unnecessary inconvenience to fill out forms, scan/cut barcodes, photocopy reciepts and have your money held for 4-8 weeks. Especially considering that the iPhone is living up to the concept of a "good customer experience".

Sprint would be smart to eliminate the rebate because it would definitely encourage accessory sales and will go a long way for those out there at the brink of switching carriers.
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Whats the difference?? Well, lets see. You have to bring extra cash (like $100 extra per phone) to Sprint just to get the phone. Not exactly small potatoes these days to cough up that extra dough.
    Then maybe you have other priorities to attend to than buying a new phone????

If you can "barely" afford to buy this phone(s), then maybe you shouldnt be buying it?

$100 is nothing.......
    Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    Just Mail it in!!!!

What's the difference - obviously people forget - but if you are this excited about the phone, and you know that it should only cost you $199 - then MAIL IT IN THAT DAY!

I honestly don't get why people have an issue with mailing it in. Fill out the form, copy your receipt, and send it away - it's your money that you're pissing away if you do not mail it in! and take a picture of everything you fill out so you can prove that you did it, if for some reason they ever say that you filled it out incorrectly (this has never ever happened to me, and I bet I have successfully filled out/received about 30 different MIRs)
    I don't get it either. Go ahead and try to buy your Pre at Best Buy, Wally World, or Radio Shack but don't come back to the Forum crying about how you didn't get a Pre because they ran out at Best Buy and by the time you got to Sprint they were sold out there, too. The mail in rebate won't seem like a big deal then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    As for the people who actually DEFEND the rebate thing. C'mon. Unless you work for Sprint/Palm or are a stock holder then what the heck are you talking about? You are a CONSUMER and even if you try to simplify it to being a task that even a monkey can do, it's still an unnecessary inconvenience to fill out forms, scan/cut barcodes, photocopy reciepts and have your money held for 4-8 weeks. Especially considering that the iPhone is living up to the concept of a "good customer experience".

Sprint would be smart to eliminate the rebate because it would definitely encourage accessory sales and will go a long way for those out there at the brink of switching carriers.
    Mail in rebates aren't bad. They keep your local Government funded to use the money for bettering your local community. Your supporting both the maker of the phone and your cellphone provider of said phone. Because without either you don't have phone support or phone service. From your post it shows you don't even know Sprints method of MIR is Filling out your phone number, name address and sending in a small form to an address. If thats too hard maybe the phone isn't for you and should stick to buying an iphone. Their great "customer service" is always willing to take your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamMcNeeley View Post
    Mail in rebates aren't bad. They keep your local Government funded to use the money for bettering your local community. ...
    I'm really curious about this one... Just how do MIR's keep local governments funded? Please cite specific examples.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    The money you pay in taxes on said rebate go back into your local government. Whether or not your local government is using it to put directly back into the community or into government funded projects its still going back to your community.
    I read a story about all mail in rebates. Companies still do them because 50 percent of those rebates never get accepted for one reason or another. Thats why companies like Sprint still does that. I am going to Best Buy right when they open and get the Pre. I am not dealing with mail in rebates. Save the money up front with a store that doesnt want to play games.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    Then maybe you have other priorities to attend to than buying a new phone????

If you can "barely" afford to buy this phone(s), then maybe you shouldnt be buying it?

$100 is nothing.......
    Dont put words in my mouth please. I never said anything about "barely" being able to afford anything. If you must know, I could honestly afford to buy about 20 Pres right now, throw them all in a lake & still be just fine. But thats not the point.

The point is, mail in rebates are total BS. They're set up the way they are specifically so they can legally advertise a lower price, but in fact charge more at the time of purchase, while making the rebate process so discouraging in the end that they know a lot of people wont even bother sending it in.

Its a slimy process to make more money in the end. Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely gullible. Its got nothing to do with being "lazy", so lets not even go there. Its a practice that needs to end, period.
    The money you pay in taxes on said rebate go back into your local government. Whether or not your local government is using it to put directly back into the community or into government funded projects its still going back to your community.
    I suppose that's true in states that have a sales tax. More so, though, the company selling the product gets a 10-14 week interest-free loan, and that's only for the people who actually send in the rebate to be processed. It's free money.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Dont put words in my mouth please. I never said anything about "barely" being able to afford anything. If you must know, I could honestly afford to buy about 20 Pres right now, throw them all in a lake & still be just fine. But thats not the point.

The point is, mail in rebates are total BS. They're set up the way they are specifically so they can legally advertise a lower price, but in fact charge more at the time of purchase, while making the rebate process so discouraging in the end that they know a lot of people wont even bother sending it in.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is completely gullible. Its got nothing to do with being "lazy", so lets not even go there. Its a practice that needs to end, period.
    So sending in a piece of paper with your Mobile number, First and last name, Billing Address and email if you choose to a specified address to be a process too hard or too much work for you? Most people tend to forget rebates because of their ignorant consumer attitude or ignorance that its too complicated and write it off.

Whether you want to admit it your just is playing a retail system of "the customer is always right" which is utter bull**** by claiming rebates a bad practice. Its marketing to get customers in the door and bring business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    I suppose that's true in states that have a sales tax. More so, though, the company selling the product gets a 10-14 week interest-free loan, and that's only for the people who actually send in the rebate to be processed. It's free money.
    Sending in a rebate is your responsibility if you choose to not do it thats your own stupidity. In terms of Sprint's rebates its very simple. Others aren't but in the end it works out for both the consumer and big business.
    Sending in a rebate is your responsibility if you choose to not do it thats your own stupidity. In terms of Sprint's rebates its very simple. Others aren't but in the end it works out for both the consumer and big business.
    Or Sprint could simply offer "instant" rebates and achieve the same price point. Except then they wouldn't be able to get millions in interest free cash and increased revenues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Or Sprint could simply offer "instant" rebates and achieve the same price point. Except then they wouldn't be able to get millions in interest free cash and increased revenues.
    So you don't want Sprint to have increased revenues so they are forced to layoff employees? I don't see a problem with a company posting increased revenues in a **** poor economy. I can certainly wait a month to get $100 back its not breaking my bank account.
    Whats the difference?? Well, lets see. You have to bring extra cash (like $100 extra per phone) to Sprint just to get the phone. Not exactly small potatoes these days to cough up that extra dough.
    Sorry Dude... I thought you were talking about yourself????
    I meant for people in general, which is why I mentioned the economy thing.

I should have been more clear though.
    I meant for people in general, which is why I mentioned the economy thing.
    Ok.. do you think those people should be dropping $199 on a phone that requires at minimum a $60ish per month plan???

The point I am making rebate or not... if a $100 is "no small potatoes" to someone, then their priorities are all wrong for buying this phone or any other $199 and up phone.

But then, the ability to delay gratuity is a lost characteristic this days.
    Ok.. do you think those people should be dropping $199 on a phone that requires at minimum a $60ish per month plan???

The point I am making rebate or not... if a $100 is "no small potatoes" to someone, then their priorities are all wrong for buying this phone or any other $199 and up phone.

But then, the ability to delay gratuity is a lost characteristic this days.
    Well, Palm & Sprint wanna sell phones, correct? Then why let BB, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart (basically everywhere else but Sprint) require people to shell out less cash up front?? It seems a bit asinine to be pulling that card right now, esp for both companies in the shape they're in at the present time.

They need a winner & also need to not jerk people around in the process.

Now, I didnt say poorer people who cant really afford it should be buying a $200 phone (but its none of my business if someone wants to charge themselves into oblivion). But I do think its discouraging to a lot of people who can afford it who can see themselves plunking down $200 for a phone thats not proven itself on a not-so-great carrier, but not necessarily $300. $100 is $100 nomatter who you are. Even rich people are tight wads (thats one of the reasons why they're rich, lol)

Anyways, the direct competition doesnt do this. You walk into AT&T/Apple, buy an iPhone for the advertised priced. Done. No rebates. So I think Sprint needs to not shoot themselves in the foot & just drop the whole thing altogether. Because at this point, the launch is not looking so hot & they've already made a lot of mistakes.

Super-hyping this thing a la Apple style being one of them. The difference is, Apple can usually deliver & put their money where their mouth is & have been doing this sorta thing for a long long time now. Palm on the other hand still has a LOT to prove to the general public if they want a winner. Fanboys alone arent gonna cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i can tell you have a bad attitude.

1. 99% of rebate snafus are due to user error. look within.
    More likely 1% of rebate snafus are user error.

Rebate processing is are typically done by third party rebate companies that do everything from intentionally throw out rebates and intentionally or carelessly void them even when filled out fine.

Sprint doesn't have a very bad rebate record, and they have a reason to use rebates, but unless you work shoveling fries at a McDonald's the time filling it out, keeping copies, waiting eight weeks and following up if Sprint screws up represent a loss you don't incur with an instant rebate. Then you add the cost of the company screwing up the rebate and costing you more time.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast