1.    #1  
    First of all, yes I know the Pre won't make calls in Europe.

I am leaving for 2 weeks on the 9th to Europe and I want to take my Pre and play with it on WiFi.

I have heard that they designed the Pre to only work with Palm chargers. But I don't think Palm is selling euro chargers for the pre just yet.

What is the best solution to keep it charged in Europe? Buy an adapter for the wall and hope it doesn't blow up my charger (which has happened to other devices in the past)? Just plug it into a computer, when possible?

Any advice appreciated.
    Bring a case of batteries with you
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    First of all, yes I know the Pre won't make calls in Europe.

I am leaving for 2 weeks on the 9th to Europe and I want to take my Pre and play with it on WiFi.

I have heard that they designed the Pre to only work with Palm chargers. But I don't think Palm is selling euro chargers for the pre just yet.

What is the best solution to keep it charged in Europe? Buy an adapter for the wall and hope it doesn't blow up my charger (which has happened to other devices in the past)? Just plug it into a computer, when possible?

Any advice appreciated.
    Any MicroUSB charger that works in Europe should work fine on the Pre. If you don't have time to buy one here, should be available in Europe.

As you said a USB cable will charge it from a computer.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Any MicroUSB charger that works in Europe should work fine on the Pre. If you don't have time to buy one here, should be available in Europe.

As you said a USB cable will charge it from a computer.
    I guess that's what I'm going to try.

My concern is several sprint employees on other forums have said they have been told by corporate that non-palm chargers will not work for the Pre. That they did something physical in the charger to ensure this.

Of course, I am skeptical that it's just a ploy to sell $30 chargers, but I've read it from several places including the leaked marketing materials, that Pre only chargers are the only ones that work.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I guess that's what I'm going to try.

My concern is several sprint employees on other forums have said they have been told by corporate that non-palm chargers will not work for the Pre. That they did something physical in the charger to ensure this.

Of course, I am skeptical that it's just a ploy to sell $30 chargers, but I've read it from several places including the leaked marketing materials, that Pre only chargers are the only ones that work.
    I'm skeptical on not working on non Palm chargers. I did see that one of the Palm chargers was rated at 1000 ma - pretty moose charger.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    It "won't work" as a matter of the data pins aren't grounded or shorted in a data USB cable. At least that how HTC makes "non-chargers" not work.

If you get a "charging cable" it'll probably work. Try these:
    micro usb charging cable - Google Product Search
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here

What is the best solution to keep it charged in Europe? Buy an adapter for the wall and hope it doesn't blow up my charger (which has happened to other devices in the past)?
    Most chargers sold these days are dual voltage. All my Treo chargers certainly are.
    The easiest option for you is when you first get your pre, take a look at the charger. There is usually a sticker, or marking on there that will say something like 120-240 volts. If the charger has that on there (which it should because every electronic I've bought recently has this), then all you need is a physical adaptor (it just changes the shape of the plug) and you're good to go. The adaptors are cheap (like 5 bucks).

THe most important thing is making sure the charger handles 120-240 volts, which it should. If not you could always get a coverter that would change the european voltage from 240 to 120, but I do not trust converters at all.
    One other thing to worry about - data roaming charges. I know that Europe is pretty much all GSM, but if there's CDMA anywhere you go, the Pre is going to try to go online for syncing, etc.

There were some horror stories of G1 users going to Europe and unintentionally racking up HUGE data roaming charges when the phone would go online without their even knowing. Now, yes of course the G1 is GSM vs. CDMA on the Pre. But I'd check whether there was CDMA coverage in the specific spots you're going to before I brought my Pre along.

Almost certainly not an issue, but wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

Edit: here's a page that shows where you might encounter CDMA in Europe.

Looks like mostly Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, etc), but Portugal and maybe Ireland (it says "trial") could be a problem too.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 05/29/2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: added link to CDMA areas
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    One other thing to worry about - data roaming charges. I know that Europe is pretty much all GSM, but if there's CDMA anywhere you go, the Pre is going to try to go online for syncing, etc.

There were some horror stories of G1 users going to Europe and unintentionally racking up HUGE data roaming charges when the phone would go online without their even knowing. Now, yes of course the G1 is GSM vs. CDMA on the Pre. But I'd check whether there was CDMA coverage in the specific spots you're going to before I brought my Pre along.
    There is no CDMA in Europe.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Get creative. Buy one of the solar chargers that's on palm.com
    Not sure if the Pre charger is like my son's Zen charger. It looks like a standard USB charger, but it sends a special signal to the Zen (like a PC does) to initiate the charging cycle. A non-Zen charger does not work. I hope Palm doesn't do that.
    Sprint Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    There is no CDMA in Europe.
    Amended my post to link to a list of the few areas in Europe that have CDMA. GSM is obviously the dominant technology, but there is CDMA is in some areas.
  14.    #14  
    Hey thanks for all the useful info guys!

Guess I'll have 2 or 3 days to figure out a solution when I look at the charger.

I will be in eastern europe, but not those countries.

Thanks!
    It appears that the Pre charger will be the same as the Treo Pro. If that's the case, the actual prongs rotate and screw off of the base, and then it comes with another set for Europe. Since the Pre is at first going to be US-only, I'm not sure if it will come with that, but there's definitely the option.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    Amended my post to link to a list of the few areas in Europe that have CDMA. GSM is obviously the dominant technology, but there is CDMA is in some areas.
    Well technically most 3G technolgy is based on some sort of CDMA. However, I do see from your link that Eastern Europe has some 2G CDMA which is probably exactly the same as the 2G CDMA used by Sprint & Verzion.

However, Sprint would actually have to have a roaming agreement in those countries and you would have to have called Sprint to activate international roaming.

From their website:

SPRINT PCS -

"Your Sprint PCS phone can make and receive calls through the world - including Canada, Mexico, China, India, countries in Asia Pacific, Central and South America, and several islands in the Caribbean."

and

"To activate Sprint Worldwide capability for your Sprint PCS phone or to get the phone and service required for travel to GSM countries and Japan, you will need to contact the Sprint PCS International Support Team at 1-888-226-7212."
    Just leave your shiny new Pre here in the states with me.
    I'll watch over it while you are in Europe...
    ...yeah, that's the ticket!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    $$$$$. It is just so they want us to buy Palm or Sprint chargers. I am positive that generic ones will work.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.