Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright, I've all but settled on the Pre + Sprint after about 10 years with Verizon.

I've been reading through the various "prepping for Pre" threads and following advice, particularly with regard to getting my Gmail house in order.

I had been using my Outlook at work as my somewhat central PIM, but I'm cleaning that up and moving to Google for my personal use, which is what the Pre will be for.

One thing that I have in Outlook is a bunch of annual recurring events for birthdays and anniversaries. This goes back to my old Dell Axim days and a PIM that I used that would use the location field of the appointment to store the year of birth. It would then show me how old the person was turning when viewed on my Axim.

What I'm trying to wrap my head around now with the Pre and it's gmail syncing. Is there a better way with the Pre for me to get reminders for birthdays and anniversaries of my contacts? I can certainly set up those recurring appointments again in the Google calendar, but if there's some slicker way to get there by having the birthday/anniversary data directly in my contact info and having Google Calendar/Pre automatically give me reminders, I'd love to know.

Thanks.
    Google Calendar has a program that lets you sync your main Outlook calendar with Google Calendar.

Getting started with Google Calendar Sync - Google Calendar Help

Keep in mind this will only work with your primary, default calendar, and no other calendar. It's the best system I've come up with.

As far as contact syncing, the only way I know is to have that information is to have it in Google Contacts or Facebook (or Exchange Activesync).
    yet another step backwards/workaround and something that was built into Palm Desktop.
    Page 19 of the leaked manual.

Transfer Data From Your Computer to Your New Phone

If you previously synchronized data from a Palm smartphone—such as contacts or calendar events—with a desktop organizer such as Palm Desktop® software by ACCESS or Microsoft Outlook®, Address Book, or iCal, you can do a one-way transfer of that data from the desktop organizer to your Pre phone.
    From that point you choose if you want the phone or an online account(google, EAS, etc.) to be where the data lives. If you choose to make the phone the location of the data it will get backed up to your palm profile. (page 20)
    Chapura Pocket Mirror will sync Calendar and Contacts via WiFi with Outlook.

http://www.chapura.com/pm_pre.php
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Will the Pre and Google calendar sync multiple calendars for the same google account. I have a work and personal calendar in google.
    CompanionLink for Google will sync your Outlook's Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks with Google. They are working on software that will eventually sync directly to the Pre. If you purchase CompanionLink for Google now the Pre sync will be free when it's released.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Will the Pre and Google calendar sync multiple calendars for the same google account. I have a work and personal calendar in google.
    Yes, we saw that done in the original Pre demo at CES. He had multiple google calendars layered on his Pre calendar.

I've got 3 calendars on my Google account, and have 2 shared in from my wife, plus the google weather calendar. Don't expect any problems linking all that into my Pre.
    Just setup a specific bday calendar in google.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    Just setup a specific bday calendar in google.
    I'm following this and looking for "Preparing for the Pre" stuff too.
    Last week I began migrating all my contacts to a new Google account.
    Yesterday I played around with Google calendar for the first time and I'm pleasantly surprised at it's capabilities.

Just to clarify, do you mean to a separate Google calendar just for birthdays, anniversaries etc? (sorry, I'm still learning)
    it means google contacts is lame and you have to set up a recurring appt in a calendar to be able to be reminded of it every year. It doesn't need to be in a separate calendar. It can be in any calendar you choose or you can create a separate calendar strictly for b-days, anniversaries and other recurring dates.

I just think having to do that is lame.
    Google Contacts (as well as the Pre) has a field for birthdays. I find it hard to believe that the Pre wouldn't give you notification a few days before when Treos have always done this.
    Anyone know if the contacts on the phone itself have a birthday/anniversary field and if so does it propagate that to the phones calendar(like the current palm OS contacts do)? If so I think I would consider letting the phone be the location of record for my contacts rather than "the cloud".
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Google Contacts (as well as the Pre) has a field for birthdays. I find it hard to believe that the Pre wouldn't give you notification a few days before when Treos have always done this.
    Looking at the google contact info for my wife and I see no birthdate field.

Edit: nevermind, if you go to contacts from gmail there is no birthdate field, if you go to the google contacts page directly there is one.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Looking at the google contact info for my wife and I see no birthdate field.
    There is definitely a birthday field, you have to hit Edit. It wasn't there until about 2 weeks ago. I would guess that in about a month or so, that field will cross populate with google calendar to provide notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    There is definitely a birthday field, you have to hit Edit. It wasn't there until about 2 weeks ago. I would guess that in about a month or so, that field will cross populate with google calendar to provide notifications.
    I did find it, eventually. But it does not show up in the contacts from gmail, you have to go to the separate contacts page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Chapura Pocket Mirror will sync Calendar and Contacts via WiFi with Outlook.

Chapura - PocketMirror
    That's very cool! Love seeing information on upcoming apps finally being released.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    I did find it, eventually. But it does not show up in the contacts from gmail, you have to go to the separate contacts page.
    Hmm. What's the url for the separate contacts page? The only way I know to get at the contacts on my google account is using the link on the gmail page.

Edit: answered above question using (wait for it...) a Google Search.

https://mail.google.com/mail/contacts/ui/ContactManager

But I don't see a birthday field in my contacts, even on that page. Sometimes google rolls out new features gradually; maybe i just don't have it yet.
    Last edited by dwhitman; 05/29/2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: update
    I will be using EventGuide in Classic.

Megasoft2000 - EventGuide
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    it's kind of dumb that you can be in calendar and there's no direct link at the top to contacts yet calendar seems to be at the top of every page.

But you were overthinking the contacts link. www.google.com/contacts works just fine, especially if you don't use gmail.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast