Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I doubt most from this forum are going to say that this is a dealbreaker, but it IS problematic for me. Maybe I'm not the only one.

It seems that Pre users clicking on mp3 links on websites will have the option to stream that audio, but NOT to download it. That means you can't download it over the phone, then listen to it when you know you'll have time (or maybe at a time when streaming will be inconvenient or impossible).

And, this isn't limited to mp3's apparently. Photos apparently can't be downloaded directly from the websites, either - only viewed. Who knows what other file types this might apply to.

With all the things the Pre does well, does this bother you? Is it a dealbreaker?

I listen to a LOT of free audio content from the internet, through my 755p. The idea of having to give that up (or only listen to it via streaming) is very bothersome. Maybe someone will come up with a work-around, but I hope it doesn't sacrifice something like, say, stability. How about you? (That doesn't even touch on the other file types issue.)
    Last edited by west3man; 05/29/2009 at 08:12 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Ya I have to say this definatelly sucks ***, but I'm sure in no time someone will hack the browser to be able to to this.
    I certainly would enjoy the ability to directly download an MP3, but I think being able to stream it is pretty cool. So, no. It's not a dealbreaker for me. It's just a minor disapointment.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    It's almost kind of deceptive that they sell you an unlimited data plan, but limit it.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's almost kind of deceptive that they sell you an unlimited data plan, but limit it.
    Whether you're streaming an mp3 or downloading it to play later, the same amount of data is transferred.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Whether you're streaming an mp3 or downloading it to play later, the same amount of data is transferred.
    When you stream an MP3 from the Amazon store, you're only getting a 30 second clip, not the whole song.

What's really confusing is they have no problems with Pandora, or Sprint TV, which use as much if not more bandwidth continuously.
    you guys are missing the point here.

they are limiting your ability to save files to the device and into storage, not a bandwidth issue.
    That actually doesn't bother me as much as I'd think. I can name on one hand the number of times I really needed to SAVE something on my phone, as opposed to just viewing it from the internet.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    They're limiting it from the browser...we don't know about anything else.

For instance, there could be a podcasting application that you can subscribe to podcasts and it will download them directly to your device. I don't know if it's possible or not, but I would lean towards yes.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    At least I'm not the only one hating this. I have a motorola Q right now (that is on its last legs) and it uses the operating systme Windows Mobile Smartphone which is pretty much a dumbed down version of Windows Mobile. I didn't realize this when I got the Q, and now I HATE this version of windows.

The main reason is that you can't download something directly into a folder. You can't download an installer into a folder and run it later - instead you have to download it and run it right away.

I am also worried that the pre will not have a file browser. If data usage is what they are worried about, shouldn't they worry about streaming the file 20 times instead of the person just downloading it once and listening to it like that? (I know about cache and stuff but it might need to be re-downloaded sometimes)

The whole point of this post though is that users hate to be locked in to something, and I am worried that the palmOS will not be customizable for the "hardcore" users. On WM people cook up new roms and stuff and it is cool because you can make your phone pretty much do anything you want.
    it is a very low level API (systen access), I can almost bet its fully restricted.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Well, I've kinda got a theory on this.*

I think it can take MORE bandwidth to stream (on some devices) because, as I've seen with Kinoma, while you're listening to the first five to ten minutes of a podcast, the rest of the FIFTY minutes get downloaded to temp storage... but if your phone reboots or you have to leave the application or end the streaming for some other reason, it starts downloading the temp file all over, again.

I'm confident that, in the course of listening to a single podcast, I've transferred 3 to 5 times as much data simply because of interruptions/restarts.

This could still be an issue on the Pre, depending on how certain things are implemented.

* - even though I acknowledge that, as has been established, it's not a bandwidth issue
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    That actually doesn't bother me as much as I'd think. I can name on one hand the number of times I really needed to SAVE something on my phone, as opposed to just viewing it from the internet.
    That's cool. Here's a scenario I've encountered, though:

I decide to stream something while I'm traveling. I realize I'm not going to finish listening to it, right then, but I know that my signal strength will dip as I got through certain areas. So, I tell Kinoma to save that temp file as a "regular" accessible audio file for me to access, later, without having to be dependent on my data connection.

I like not having to go to iTunes to decide what I'll be in the mood to listen to, later, then load it on my phone perhaps never to be accessed, again. Then I've gotta remember to clean that crap out, later. I enjoy having the choice, either way, though.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    They're limiting it from the browser...we don't know about anything else.

For instance, there could be a podcasting application that you can subscribe to podcasts and it will download them directly to your device. I don't know if it's possible or not, but I would lean towards yes.
    But that's a problem, for me. I don't want to have to go through some additional application - especially when my "outdated" 755p didn't need to do that.

This is device and operating system are supposed to be about simplicity. In this particular area, it seems they've gone too far (or not far enough, depending).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by AllWires View Post
    At least I'm not the only one hating this. I have a motorola Q right now (that is on its last legs) and it uses the operating systme Windows Mobile Smartphone which is pretty much a dumbed down version of Windows Mobile. I didn't realize this when I got the Q, and now I HATE this version of windows.

The main reason is that you can't download something directly into a folder. You can't download an installer into a folder and run it later - instead you have to download it and run it right away.

I am also worried that the pre will not have a file browser. If data usage is what they are worried about, shouldn't they worry about streaming the file 20 times instead of the person just downloading it once and listening to it like that? (I know about cache and stuff but it might need to be re-downloaded sometimes)
    Bingo. Just where I was coming from. I didn't realize someone had already said it.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWires View Post
    The whole point of this post though is that users hate to be locked in to something, and I am worried that the palmOS will not be customizable for the "hardcore" users. On WM people cook up new roms and stuff and it is cool because you can make your phone pretty much do anything you want.
    Maybe a 3rd party browser could do it later on?
    The problem is that there isn't any file browser at all*, so even if you could download something, there wouldn't be a way to access it.

*The exception for that is within the photos/music/videos/docs applications, so I guess on second thought, they should just give the option to automatically save supported files to whatever those locations are via a dialog box like Firefox or something. This doesn't actually affect me at all, but I can definitely see how it would affect others.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The problem is that there isn't any file browser at all*, so even if you could download something, there wouldn't be a way to access it.

*The exception for that is within the photos/music/videos/docs applications, so I guess on second thought, they should just give the option to automatically save supported files to whatever those locations are via a dialog box like Firefox or something. This doesn't actually affect me at all, but I can definitely see how it would affect others.
    Yeah. Kinda like my 755p handles these situations, now.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Anytime you stream something you are essentially downloading it, but on a mobile phone it just depends on if a hack/upadate can be made to actually "grab" it from your temporary internet files and copy it to the phone's hard drive or just directly download it. For example on a desktop computer if you watch a youtube video and let the full video stream, you can find the file in your internet files and you can copy it to your hard drive by dragging and dropping the file, which is a .flv.
    There are some confused people in this thread.

The lack of downloading a file off a website is probably because of no native file browser.

Why would bandwidth be an issue? Its the same amount whether you stream or download...just that stream lets you listen before the download is finished...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast