Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I would say in due time that these things will be possible. The Pre is still an infant and developers are still learning how to program for it.
    If your newborn child doesn't walk right after leaving the womb do you return him/her?? Be patient people.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    If your newborn child doesn't walk right after leaving the womb do you return him/her??

FYI, in my experience, the hospital will claim they have a "No Return" policy.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    It turns out that the Pre already has a "download manager" app that is hooked in with the browser, but it is disabled. All you'd have to do is root your Pre, spelunk through the code, and reenable it.
    Oh wait, apparently someone has already done this, but the hack is only good on WebOS 1.0. No biggie -- the only reason it's not working in 1.1 is the global_code.jsjsjs $file$, $which$ $now$ $contains$ $all$ $the$ $code$ $that$ $used$ $to$ $be$ $in$ $the$ $other$ $controller$ $files$. $So$ $someone$ $just$ $needs$ $to$ $take$ $the$ $hacked$ $stuff$ $and$ $move$ $it$ $into$ $global_code$.$js$. $Sounds$ $easy$, $right$? $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$, $I$ $need$ $to$ $look$ $a$ $little$ $closer$.
    Check out webos-internals.org if you wanna do it, but, hmm, maybe I'll just take a look and see how hard this might be today...
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    While biking, today, I was reminded of this thread topic.

I was streaming free NPR content via Kinoma. I kept getting interrupted, though, so I decided to grab the url and try an alternate method. Pocket Tunes began streaming the podcast so I was happy... until I realized that it wouldn't let me jump to the point I wanted to, within the podcast. Since the episode could be from 30 minutes to an hour long, that's really unfortunate.

In such a situation, assuming I'd clicked on a website link instead of cribbing a url, I might opt to just download the file and play it without having to worry about losing my place or having to navigate back to it.

On my 755p, that was an option.

It looks like it won't be on the Pre. That's unfortunate since it really eats into my entertainment and news glutton experience.

And, of course, the Pre is supposed to be an UPgrade so I wouldn't expect to have to make this kind of "sacrifice" to enjoy some webOS goodness.
    A few things:

1) You shouldn't be biking around with headphones on.

2) The reason some features aren't there on the Pre currently is that parts of the OS still aren't ready for prime time. It will happen. The functionality is there, just not enabled for whatever reason (probably a good one).

Which leads me to 3) You know the phone can't save MP3's to memory, so plan ahead and put content on the device that doesn't require streaming if you know you're going to be in areas with spotty service.

Give. It. A. Rest.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    update:
    okay, I'm able to download mp3s from the browser, in WebOS 1.1!
    It did require a little bit of refactoring of the patch that's up on WebOS-internals.org.
    No file browser is needed. It puts the file in /media/internal/downloads, and the Music Player app finds it there just fine.
    I haven't created a patch file yet, but I'll put details as to the code changes up on that wiki today... here's a linky: Patch Browser Downloading Files - WebOS Internals
    Note that I've only tested this with mp3s. I tried downloading a PDF and it didn't kick off the download manager for some reason. I'll see what I can do.
    When you click an mp3 link, a popup comes up asking if you'd like to stream or download the file. If you click Stream, it streams as before. If you click Download, a little progress bar comes up at the bottom of the page. You can click the X on the progress bar to cancel the download, and/or swipe the progress bar off the page to get rid of it.

Another note, I don't take credit for anything here except for porting it to 1.1. Kudos to chris_phelps, mdklein, et al for the original code.
    I'll post another update here when I've posted my fixes to the wiki.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Ok, my fixes are up there. If you're brave enough to root and use vi, you can download mp3s easily! Patch Browser Downloading Files - WebOS Internals

I haven't updated the actual patch file yet, and I'm hoping someone else can do that. Any takers?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I would say in due time that these things will be possible. The Pre is still an infant and developers are still learning how to program for it.
    If your newborn child doesn't walk right after leaving the womb do you return him/her?? Be patient people.
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzwave View Post
    Ok, my fixes are up there. If you're brave enough to root and use vi, you can download mp3s easily! Patch Browser Downloading Files - WebOS Internals

I haven't updated the actual patch file yet, and I'm hoping someone else can do that. Any takers?
    Nacho is totally right. People need to chill out a little with the Pre. It isn't perfect, but the fact is Palm and Sprint both needed a solid device to come out ASAP. If the Pre had everything everyone wanted immediately out of the box, the phone would never had been released and Palm would no longer exist.

So far Palm has been excellent about putting out WebOS updates and they have been making a lot of strides in the 2 months since the phone has been commercially available.

Dizzwave shows that the phone is completely capable of downloading files. And I can't believe that in an entire company, full of very smart people, no one thought about giving the Pre download capabilities. So this leads me to believe the did it intentionally.

Why would they have done this? Well, I can't say what their exact thought process was, but I bet it was something along the lines of releasing the phone on training wheels. There is only so much you can test in closed trial programs with something so capable as the pre. Right now, all pre owners are in the public beta of WebOS. I am quite confident that file downloading will come, either from palm directly, a 3rd party browser, or 3rd party app like file coaster. But right now, the pre and WebOS need to mature and that means code optimization, security, other more needed apps such as document editing, etc.

Remember, the few of us on precentral are not the majority of people who own the Pre. I was on a flight recently, and the guy sitting next to me had a pre. He didn't even know it had an App Catalog or that you could get new apps. I didn't even want to show him the precentral homebrew stuff that I was sporting.

If you don't see anything that can do native file downloads by the winter holidays, then Palm has fallen behind. I would much rather to see a 25% battery life improvement from optimizing code than being able to download files.

However, a method to copy and paste from a browser and a way to copy the url of a link is important, and I think you will see that update soon.

My 2 cents.
    Just Tweaked the downloading with the pre and went to test it to airmp3.net and picked

a random song and click download of course it gives you the option to stream or

download. Click download and after it downloads close card and go into your music and

look up that artist and the song was there. very awsome! downloading music straight

from the net into my pre
    . very cool. Has anyone else tried this. sorry if re-post in

advance. Oh and um it was only a test so don't be tripping about illegal downloading,

only a test.
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by robbskittles View Post
    Just Tweaked the downloading with the pre and went to test it to airmp3.net and picked

a random song and click download of course it gives you the option to stream or

download. Click download and after it downloads close card and go into your music and

look up that artist and the song was there. very awsome! downloading music straight

from the net into my pre
    . very cool. Has anyone else tried this. sorry if re-post in

advance. Oh and um it was only a test so don't be tripping about illegal downloading,

only a test.
    Were you on wifi? Mine won't dl.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    no wifi... straight evdo. just gotta be airmp3.net,
    Check out the webOS 1.2 update that came out today and now supports downloading files from a web page: Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Software update information for Palm Pre Sprint p100eww.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234