Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    While biking, today, I was reminded of this thread topic.

I was streaming free NPR content via Kinoma. I kept getting interrupted, though, so I decided to grab the url and try an alternate method. Pocket Tunes began streaming the podcast so I was happy... until I realized that it wouldn't let me jump to the point I wanted to, within the podcast. Since the episode could be from 30 minutes to an hour long, that's really unfortunate.

In such a situation, assuming I'd clicked on a website link instead of cribbing a url, I might opt to just download the file and play it without having to worry about losing my place or having to navigate back to it.

On my 755p, that was an option.

It looks like it won't be on the Pre. That's unfortunate since it really eats into my entertainment and news glutton experience.

And, of course, the Pre is supposed to be an UPgrade so I wouldn't expect to have to make this kind of "sacrifice" to enjoy some webOS goodness.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    And, of course, the Pre is supposed to be an UPgrade so I wouldn't expect to have to make this kind of "sacrifice" to enjoy some webOS goodness.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I would like to know if the Pre has bluetooth then can I send the songs I have on my 755p to it that way? My 755p has ALOT OF SONGS that were real hard to find and I use more than a few mp3 sites to get them. I assume the Pre has headpphones like my treo has so if I can send my songs to it I won't have problem but I have to admit I listen to my phone hourly so if I can't that could be a problem. Anyone know?
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by solodarkprince View Post
    I would like to know if the Pre has bluetooth then can I send the songs I have on my 755p to it that way? My 755p has ALOT OF SONGS that were real hard to find and I use more than a few mp3 sites to get them. I assume the Pre has headpphones like my treo has so if I can send my songs to it I won't have problem but I have to admit I listen to my phone hourly so if I can't that could be a problem. Anyone know?
    Welcome to the forums.

I'm pretty sure there's a sticky on the first page that answers your question, but the answer is "yes."
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    While biking, today, I was reminded of this thread topic.

I was streaming free NPR content via Kinoma. I kept getting interrupted, though, so I decided to grab the url and try an alternate method. Pocket Tunes began streaming the podcast so I was happy... until I realized that it wouldn't let me jump to the point I wanted to, within the podcast. Since the episode could be from 30 minutes to an hour long, that's really unfortunate.

In such a situation, assuming I'd clicked on a website link instead of cribbing a url, I might opt to just download the file and play it without having to worry about losing my place or having to navigate back to it.

On my 755p, that was an option.

It looks like it won't be on the Pre. That's unfortunate since it really eats into my entertainment and news glutton experience.

I respectfully disagree.
    I cannot see anywhere where the WebOS is an UPgrade? Its a whole new system....some features may be introduced, others will be taken away.
    Because of the introduction of the MP3 store, licensing issues may have promped Palm to take away file download access(or random content access in your particular case) I read licensing issues are the reason that we won't be able to download MP3s, from the Amazon store over 3G. The point is - no where else in the system did Palm guarantee 100% feature parity with the Palm OS.
    THAT being said....it sucks....but its not something that palm would HAVE to include (like Desktop Syncing, etc)

One thing I wonder about, though.......Classic allows access to the internet....so maybe the same thing you do with the 755 will work under emulation (talk about Irony.......)
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I respectfully disagree.
    I cannot see anywhere where the WebOS is an UPgrade? Its a whole new system....some features may be introduced, others will be taken away.
    Because of the introduction of the MP3 store, licensing issues may have promped Palm to take away file download access(or random content access in your particular case) I read licensing issues are the reason that we won't be able to download MP3s, from the Amazon store over 3G. The point is - no where else in the system did Palm guarantee 100% feature parity with the Palm OS.
    THAT being said....it sucks....but its not something that palm would HAVE to include (like Desktop Syncing, etc)
    To scrap a line in favor of a new one is to suggest advancement, if only implicitly.

One thing I wonder about, though.......Classic allows access to the internet....so maybe the same thing you do with the 755 will work under emulation (talk about Irony.......)
    No Blazer in Classic. Dunno about Opera.

I'm not optimistic about that functionality working, though.
    I respectfully disagree with you. One would think it's a fairly rational assumption to see improvement or advancement in a new OS over an old one, especially when it comes to BASIC functionality like downloadinig a file. Downloading a picture or a song from the web, to me, is basic functionality of a smartphone especially if it's a feature that could be done on it's predecessor as well as the competition.
    I respectfully disagree.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    yes this is definitely a problem for me. not only because i want to keep the mp3 for later, and maybe sync it to my PC, but more importantly, because if i go in the subway (every day several times), there's no reception. Streaming-only is not a solution. I need to be able to truly download my mp3s, and store them in my music app or folder. the fact that i can't is a very serious disappointment. there's got to be a workaround!
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I listen to tons of podcasts and delete them when finished on my 700p. Now that I have my pre, I can connect via usb and load them up no problem, but once listened to I can't delete them. When you have a lot of podcasts without the ability to delete then the library just gets out of hand.

The only way to do it now with the pre is to remember which podcasts I have listened to through out the day then connect via usb and manually delete them - a big pain. (was it episode 34.mp3 or episode47.mp3 that I listened to 6 hrs ago?) We need the ability to delete right at the same interface we are listening to the file.

A File Browser is a must. The ability to delete from within the music app is a must.

An RSS/podcast downloader...would be very nice.

Still need to look at the classic app to re-load Quicknews and Pocket Tunes to see if I can get it to work.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    Can anything be downloaded onto the Pre from the web browser? If people have cloud storage of files or NAS drives, what's the point? Don't they work via a web browser?
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loondog View Post
    I listen to tons of podcasts and delete them when finished on my 700p. Now that I have my pre, I can connect via usb and load them up no problem, but once listened to I can't delete them. When you have a lot of podcasts without the ability to delete then the library just gets out of hand.

The only way to do it now with the pre is to remember which podcasts I have listened to through out the day then connect via usb and manually delete them - a big pain. (was it episode 34.mp3 or episode47.mp3 that I listened to 6 hrs ago?) We need the ability to delete right at the same interface we are listening to the file.

A File Browser is a must. The ability to delete from within the music app is a must.

An RSS/podcast downloader...would be very nice.

Still need to look at the classic app to re-load Quicknews and Pocket Tunes to see if I can get it to work.
    I know it's not ideal, but I think iTunes knows what you've listened to. That may help you decide what to delete.

But maybe it only keeps track of that on real iPods.
    I've discovered this limitation and it has turned into a nuisance for me. I was thinking about trying to write an app that will work by accepting a webpage url then parsing through the page to look for links to .MP3 files. After that, the user would select one of the links it found and it would download and save the file and organize it within the app. Or alternatively the user could paste a direct link to the MP3 and it would download, save, and playback the file within the app.

The PrePod App (I <3 btw) allows you to download and save podcasts, which are just .mp3 files, and play them within the app later, so it seems like it would be technically feasible.

Any devs out there willing to comment?
    if you have the url you can download mp3.s through the file coaster app
    Oooo thanks Temple. How did I miss that?
    I do not consider the lack of filesystem access in the native apps to be a limitation. I consider it an invitation... for us to make a file manager.
  16.    #56  
    FileCoaster will doqnload mp3's but you have to know the url, which isn't always available. Like, when you click a link, it starts streaming so you can't paste from the address line. They url is displayed, but is no selectable and it is shortened with "..." so you can't even see it to type manually.
    This is a huge issue for me and starting to become a deal-breaker... Coming from ol clunky windows mobile, even though it was slow, buggy, and horrible ui there wasn't anything it could not do. Switching to the palm pre, it was a breath of fresh air in most aspects but I sacrificed a lot of things I used a lot like file manager that stores any type of file, being associated with another program or not. I could still store it in my storage if it was important to me, music, pics, apps, docs, pdf's, zip's, rar's (and extract the files also) anything.... As a business device this is unacceptable, you will need to download email attachments or any other docs, etc. To your device if needed and this is a huge drawback in that department. Palm is going the Apple road by maybe unabling that feature so we will have to use amazon mp3 store, that is crippling the pre for profit.... I really don't want to go back to winmo but I'll see what palm has to say or do about this till the release of the htc hero or touch pro 2 to re-evaluate my needs in a smartphone... Bummer, I love this thing though
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    Do peope even read the main post??? He is not complaining of a bandwidth problem. It is just the fact that no file can be saved from the pre's web browser.
    There are programs that can locate urls of streamed data. Just search it on google
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by templeghg22 View Post
    There are programs that can locate urls of streamed data. Just search it on google
    They don't appear to be for the Pre, which limits their convenience and usefulness, but thanks.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast