Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    There are some confused people in this thread.

The lack of downloading a file off a website is probably because of no native file browser.

Why would bandwidth be an issue? Its the same amount whether you stream or download...just that stream lets you listen before the download is finished...
    Is this really a file browser issue? I thought the restriction was on 3g usage. Or have I missed something? Or did they decide you can't download files period (over wifi)? If so, that would defeat the point of an amazon mp3 store.
  2.    #22  
    There are some confused people in this thread.

The lack of downloading a file off a website is probably because of no native file browser.

Why would bandwidth be an issue? Its the same amount whether you stream or download...just that stream lets you listen before the download is finished...
    The 755p has no native file browser, but I can use it download mp3's all day long.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Wait, I thought there was an Amazon Mp3 store app?
    Wouldn't that allow you to save an mp3 to your Pre?
    Annoying but way too minor to be a deal breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    Is this really a file browser issue? I thought the restriction was on 3g usage. Or have I missed something? Or did they decide you can't download files period (over wifi)? If so, that would defeat the point of an amazon mp3 store.
    Why would it have anything to do with bandwidth over Ev-Do?

First of all, what everyone's missing here is that the MP3 is probably being opened by the browser and played by it. It isn't truly "streaming" it, insofar as the file transfer is still plain 'ol HTTP. To that extent, the same amount of traffic is being transferred over Ev-Do regardless.

The issue is that there isn't a filesystem or file browser that the Pre has, yet. Remember the old Palm days? There really wasn't a true filesystem you could use.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    The 755p has no native file browser, but I can use it download mp3's all day long.
    Yes...eventually.

I'm sure it'll be an option as WebOS grows. The iPhone still does not have this function.

Its most certainly NOT a bandwidth issue however....as once again, streaming is the same thing as downloading....just you are able to play before its finished downloading and its a temporary file.
  7. Duo
    I doubt most from this forum are going to say that this is a dealbreaker, but it IS problematic for me. Maybe I'm not the only one.

It seems that Pre users clicking on mp3 links on websites will have the option to stream that audio, but NOT to download it. That means you can't download it over the phone, then listen to it when you know you'll have time (or maybe at a time when streaming will be inconvenient or impossible).

And, this isn't limited to mp3's apparently. Photos apparently can't be downloaded directly from the websites, either - only viewed. Who knows what other file types this might apply to.

With all the things the Pre does well, does this bother you? Is it a dealbreaker?
    Actually this may well be a dealbreaker for me.

I have a TyTN II and I use it to download images, PDF documents, text files, word documents, EBooks, applications (for the phone and for other platforms), etc, etc, all the time. Without this functionality the phone becomes a LOT less useful to me. I rarely download mp3s to my phone and only download videos from time to time.

Browser hack? No thanks. This functionality should have been in place in the standard browser. Change browser? Why get the Pre if Im going to run a browser I can get on any other Smartphone?

As for the no file browser argument (well whose decision was that anyway), how is the phone going to work with files copied from the desktop? Applications that can run a particular type of file will most likely show those files no reason not to work the same way with files downloaded from the web.

It appears that Palm have left out a number of useful, simple features that should have been standard on this phone. File downloads from the web, alarm (not calendar appointments) and a decent calculator are three that come to mind (plus the file browser, of course).
    There are many decision that Palm has made which make zero sense to me. This is one of those functions that should be included and so should a file browser.

Fortunately it should be a pretty easy gap to fill from developers.

That is unless Palm has the development SDK so neutered the hackers are forced to step in (Highly likely).
    There are many decision that Palm has made which make zero sense to me. This is one of those functions that should be included and so should a file browser.

That is unless Palm has the development SDK so neutered the hackers are forced to step in (Highly likely).
    okay, this is just odd. Say I'm checking my email from the browser and someone sends me an attachment. I can't download it? But if I check email from the email app I can. If i'm on a photo viewing site and I see a pic I like, I can't download it to my Pre? If there's a pdf guide of something I want to reference from one of my companies' websites I can't download it onto my pre?

That's how I'm taking this issue. Is that correct? That would be a possible dealbreaker. If there's work files I know are out on various websites (like my scenario above). That's less space I have to dedicate on that limited 7.4gb of storage for work files, making room for other things. I can just keep a 1/2 gig free for downloading the specific file I need on an as needed basis. I can just bookmark all the pdf links to the various technique guides and sell sheets instead of actually storing them on the Pre. Isn't that what they want us to do in the first place? Make use of the cloud? Seems counterproductive. Unless I'm off base with this.

And if there is no file browser, I actually have to open up a specific program to see a file folder structure of some sort? Just thinking about having to convert over my few hundred memos into word docs and sort them into folders by the category they were in on PalmOS. Those folders would then contain other files based on the category it's in. It'd be nice to be able to look up a folder on ACL info and see that I have word docs with tips, tricks and pearls, a pdf technique guide, and excel sheet with pricing and catalog #'s as well as a surgical video. Would be a pain in the **** to have to go into four different programs to see if I have each of those files.

Am I reading that right too? This is just sounding F*d up if that's all true. And I might start to believe someone if they say this phone is not for me.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/29/2009 at 08:12 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by xGORDOx View Post
    Wait, I thought there was an Amazon Mp3 store app?
    Wouldn't that allow you to save an mp3 to your Pre?
    I'm talking about downloading directly from websites that have links to mp3's. I don't want to have to go through the Amazon store - especially for stuff that's free, anyway.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  12.    #32  
    Yes...eventually.
    Sorry if I'm missing the obvious, but I don't understand most of your post. I can download those mp3's on my 755p NOW, not "eventually."

Someone said the lack of a native file browser was the problem, but since my 755p doesn't have a native file browser, that seems to disprove the theory.

I'm sure it'll be an option as WebOS grows. The iPhone still does not have this function.

Its most certainly NOT a bandwidth issue however....as once again, streaming is the same thing as downloading....just you are able to play before its finished downloading and its a temporary file.
    I didn't suggest it was a bandwidth issue, by the way.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post

Indeed. I'm starting to think it was their way to keep us from downloading programs for our phone, through the internet, instead of through Palm's approved installation gateway.

But I dunno.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    okay, this is just odd. Say I'm checking my email from the browser and someone sends me an attachment. I can't download it? But if I check email from the email app I can. If i'm on a photo viewing site and I see a pic I like, I can't download it to my Pre? If there's a pdf guide of something I want to reference from one of my companies' websites I can't download it onto my pre?

That's how I'm taking this issue. Is that correct? That would be a possible dealbreaker. If there's work files I know are out on various websites (like my scenario above). That's less space I have to dedicate on that limited 7.4gb of storage for work files, making room for other things. I can just keep a 1/2 gig free for downloading the specific file I need on an as needed basis. I can just bookmark all the pdf links to the various technique guides and sell sheets instead of actually storing them on the Pre. Isn't that what they want us to do in the first place? Make use of the cloud? Seems counterproductive. Unless I'm off base with this.

And if there is no file browser, I actually have to open up a specific program to see a file folder structure of some sort? Just thinking about having to convert over my few hundred memos into word docs and sort them into folders by the category they were in on PalmOS. Those folders would then contain other files based on the category it's in. It'd be nice to be able to look up a folder on ACL info and see that I have word docs with tips, tricks and pearls, a pdf technique guide, and excel sheet with pricing and catalog #'s as well as a surgical video. Would be a pain in the **** to have to go into four different programs to see if I have each of those files.

Am I reading that right too? This is just sounding F*d up if that's all true. And I might start to believe someone if they say this phone is not for me.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (ANYONE) but d94 said, in that mega popular thread that photos and mp3's can be viewed and streamed, but not downloaded.

Maybe other types of files won't be blocked. These are the kinds of things I'd like to know before walking into a Sprint store and buying a phone with no (outside) in-depth reviews and that's steeped in secrecy.

I'm probably going to get this phone, but certain basic issues will make me stick with my 755p or adopt another platform, altogether... but we'll see after a month, when my contract expires and other guinea pigs have been kind enough to test these things out for us.
    Indeed. I'm starting to think it was their way to keep us from downloading programs for our phone, through the internet, instead of through Palm's approved installation gateway.

But I dunno.

I don't think so, they allow side loading and such so i don't think they care one way or another how you get it.

I think the issue is the Palm Pre is sort of option light right now. It is a pretty bare bones OS that needs a lot of TLC to get things where they need to be.

How often do you hear on this board "That will get added later" or "A third party developer will take care of that"? There is a lot missing right now.

It is fairly obvious why we are seeing the Pre releasing towards the later end of their launch guidance. It wasn't ready for prime time and honestly I think Palm, if they were in better financial shape, would probably want to spend a couple more months getting some features more polished before actually releasing but the $$$ is running low and its looks to be good enough.
    barebones? I can understand it's a new OS, but they've had 13yrs of experience in building an OS. To leave out certain things you took for granted that we deem basic is just really weird. Certain things should just be fundamental. it's not about polish. Some of these things are major compromises compared to what we could do on a $99 Centro.

I've got my boss bugging me with some IT guy who's going to get us up and running with EAS and is putting in his ear that we all need BB's. I didn't even let him finish his sentence before I said "helll no". Our Centros are going to go bye bye, and I'll be damned if I have to use a BB. I didn't think it was going to come to fruition, but it now looks like it's going to happen. And the last thing I need is some IT guy putting into my technophyte boss that we need to be on BB's to use EAS.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Yeah.. I often download images to get a closer look at things on my Centro. I was also looking forward to refreshing mp3s from my computer via Orb. Streaming everything just isn't an option as I'm often going somewhere without coverage on a roadtrip, not to mention a flight.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm talking about downloading directly from websites that have links to mp3's. I don't want to have to go through the Amazon store - especially for stuff that's free, anyway.
    And the point of bringing up the Amazon store is not that that's where you should be getting all your content, but that it IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE to download and store an mp3 (or any file, one would think) to / on the Pre.

Again, if I've missed where we've been told that you will NOT be able to download such files to the Pre, let me know. I haven't scoured the user manual like others have.

In any case, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure why anyone *needs* this, though it would be nice to have. I can see the point about storing something on the phone to listen to later or to avoid having it cut out when service is patchy, but no, not a deal breaker.
  19.    #39  
    And the point of bringing up the Amazon store is not that that's where you should be getting all your content, but that it IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE to download and store an mp3 (or any file, one would think) to / on the Pre.
    But this discussion isn't about whether it IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE to download and store an mp3. The discussion is about the limitation on that downloading - particularly from sources that were openly available to Treo's.

Again, if I've missed where we've been told that you will NOT be able to download such files to the Pre, let me know. I haven't scoured the user manual like others have.
    I haven't scoured it, either, but d94 got a Pre and has been answering people's questions left and right. It's quite the popular thread.

Anyway, it was rumored, I believe, and d94 explicitly confirmed that downloading pictures and mp3's (and we don't know what else) directly is not allowed.

It was that perspective that I stated at the beginning of the thread and it is from that perspective that we have been discussing the issue.

If somehow all/both sources turn out to be incorrect, I'll be a very happy camper. For now, though, we seem to collectively believe these to be facts.

In any case, it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure why anyone *needs* this, though it would be nice to have. I can see the point about storing something on the phone to listen to later or to avoid having it cut out when service is patchy, but no, not a deal breaker.
    I think you answered your own question.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    the Amazon mp3 store rules out the possibility that it's a physical limitation of the device / OS (as was suggested that it had something to do with a lack of file browser)-- thats the main argument I meant to address.

It sounds to me more like an intentional restriction in how the browser handles files rather than some kind of missing feature. Too bad, for now. We'll see how responsive Palm is to user requests and just in updating the OS in general (since it took forever for them to do updates to PalmOS...)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast