I just read that a little bit ago. Good to hear and thanks for posting.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Either Sprint didn't want to commit too hard with struggling Palm or they have some clueless leadership. You would think Sprint could've struck a better deal.
    Sprint has never had an exclusive with Palm for more than about 6 months. I am sure that was the best deal they could get.
    You do realize Palm can barely afford to buy a newspaper ad right? Sprint, although losing customers, was Palm's only option.
    Sprint has the Pre exclusive through the end of 2009.

Nothing, however, has been said about webOS exclusivity. Palm's not a one-product company in this market and never has been.
    Its good to see Palm making some good business decisions after a history of bad ones. Palm's interests are not served by striking an exclusive deal with an ailing carrier. Being limited to T-Mobile certainly hasn't done Android any favors.

It cost AT&T a huge amount of money to buy the iPhone exclusive. Sprint doesn't have that kind of money and the Pre doesn't have the same amount of value to a carrier.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its good to see Palm making some good business decisions after a history of bad ones. Palm's interests are not served by striking an exclusive deal with an ailing carrier. Being limited to T-Mobile certainly hasn't done Android any favors.

It cost AT&T a huge amount of money to buy the iPhone exclusive. Sprint doesn't have that kind of money and the Pre doesn't have the same amount of value to a carrier.
    And as a result, Sprint doesn't have an unique flagship phone.

You are correct that the Pre or Palm doesn't have the value of an iphone exclusive. It wouldn't cost Sprint as much like it did AT&T.

I'm not sure why people are justifying this for Sprint. You don't see the iphone or Storm on Sprint 6 months after their debut.

Sprint screwed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post

Exactly right! Sprint could have paid more for the exclusive, but didn't (I don't think given where Palm was it would have been that much more expensive though). But they also went cheap on guaranteeing volume to Palm's manufacturers (which meant they wouldn't have to spend money on ads either), which caused the shortage we are seeing now. Sure once they saw demand building, they push for more production, but it's too late. So now a bunch of their exclusivity period is going to pass by with not enough phones to sell.

Sprint tried to go cheap and botched this. People will not be pissed at palm when they go to a best buy and can't find any there - it will be Sprint that takes the hit.

For AT&T to have the iPhone and the Pre is a big deal.
    Of course if the pre turns out to be wildly popular sprint could negotiate an extended exclusivity period. Of course that would be when palm has the strong hand to negotiate from.
    Quote Originally Posted by camiller View Post
    Of course if the pre turns out to be wildly popular sprint could negotiate an extended exclusivity period. Of course that would be when palm has the strong hand to negotiate from.
    Do you know how much that would cost them given VZ and AT&T basically promising people they'd have the phone in 6 months? The ability to do that deal came and went.
    Sprint may have just been mortally wounded. I (and i'm sure countless others) was planning on switching to sprint from verizon in august when my contract is up. But if verizon is gonna have the Pre come Jan 2010, why should I?

It will be a very easy decision to wait, especially if it seems likely that the Pre will be able to tether like my treo does now on Verizon! Sprint does'nt plan on making that available as of right now. I know there may be workarounds at some time, but I'm not into hacking my phone.

It costs me $15/month on verizon to have that ability now. Better than the $60/month a wireless card would be. thats a $500 per year savings. Pretty much wipes out the whole "Sprint is cheaper" philosophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by brett328 View Post
    Sprint may have just been mortally wounded. I (and i'm sure countless others) was planning on switching to sprint from verizon in august when my contract is up. But if verizon is gonna have the Pre come Jan 2010, why should I?

It will be a very easy decision to wait, especially if it seems likely that the Pre will be able to tether like my treo does now on Verizon! Sprint does'nt plan on making that available as of right now. I know there may be workarounds at some time, but I'm not into hacking my phone.

It costs me $15/month on verizon to have that ability now. Better than the $60/month a wireless card would be. thats a $500 per year savings. Pretty much wipes out the whole "Sprint is cheaper" philosophy.
    Sprint can enable that pretty easily. But to get you to not wait for VZ and move to Sprint, they are going to need to cut prices on the plans that the Pre can operate on as a sweetener.

Who knows, maybe in November we'll see SERO available on the PRE... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    Do you know how much that would cost them given VZ and AT&T basically promising people they'd have the phone in 6 months? The ability to do that deal came and went.
    I know the VZ said "Pre like" rather than "Pre." and I didn't even look at AT&T since their service in my area has always been crappy. I could see VZ & AT&T getting another WebOS device while the flagship remained Sprint's. At any rate, if the Pre becomes very popular that will put Palm in a better bargaining position with all three.
    who cares if it is a sprint exclusive - my 800w was born on Sprint and died a quick non glorious death there as well because no other carrier picked it up.

I plan to purchase a Pre on 6/6 and I for one want to see updates and new toys for it, the more carriers and people that buy the more likely that happens
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    And as a result, Sprint doesn't have an unique flagship phone.

You are correct that the Pre or Palm doesn't have the value of an iphone exclusive. It wouldn't cost Sprint as much like it did AT&T.

I'm not sure why people are justifying this for Sprint. You don't see the iphone or Storm on Sprint 6 months after their debut.

Sprint screwed up.
    You think Palm wants to stay with one carrier?

Hell no...they need to sell MANY phones.

To rely on one carrier Palm would have screwed up.