Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    This is a general response to the type of comment "Does the Pre have X functionality? No? Ah...dealbreaker!!!". Simply put - the simplicity of the Pre as we see today is a necessary step. The really good stuff WILL come later.

1. ZEN of ... Apple
    The original Palm Pilot was able to create the Palm Economy, beating out both Filofaxes and Psions because it was simple to use, and thus won over the "fat middle" of the time. Complexity, extensions and apps could then be added - or not - by an army of developers. The iPhone - often accused of being a "dumb" smartphone - did exactly the same thing: it lowered the barriers to entry for the normal (non-PreCentral Forum) consumer. I put forward that it would have been much less of a success with more buttons, Office document editing and even cut & paste - at least at first.

Just as the PalmPilot made PDAs mainstream, the iPhone did the same for smartphones by making them accessible by more people. If and when it comes, the future success of the Pre was made possible by the iPhone, not the Treo! Thus the Pre HAS to be similar outwardly to the iPhone (although we know that under the hood it's a different story).

I believe the simplicity and "missing" functions is deliberate - it's meant to attract those buying on impulse, in malls and by word-of-mouth. On the other hand, readers of this forum, newbies included, shouldn't be worrying about WebOS v.1.0, but paying attention to the potential of the hardware, the evolution of the SDK and honing their HTML skills.

The "zen" of the device simply enables mass-market appeal, which in turn attracts a developer community. The bigger the market, the bigger their chance for profit and/or recognition. The much-maligned iFart app is actually a stunning indicator of (1) how wide an appeal the iPhone has and (2) how not everyone writes code to earn a buck.

Which bring us to note that the zen of the platform is not just reserved for the device, but also for the SDK...

2. Candy
    Simply put: "cool" and catchy tech is necessary, useful or not. Touchscreen, Graffiti, infrared transfer, accelerometer, proximity sensor, multitouch. Android, with the exception of a compass, has nothing really new at a first impression. NOR DOES THE PRE: its graphical multitasking (card view), Synergy, cloud sync, and non-instrusive notifications are innovative - but don't contribute to the first WOW impression.

After June 6, test this yourself, give an iPhone and Pre to your grandparents for a few minutes - they'll tell you the only difference is the keyboard.

This superficial "lack" of innovation isn't bad - I risk being tarred and feathered, but I'd say the Pre is the true 2nd generation iPhone. It's the iPhone as Apple would have been created if it had been set free to evolve; if you've been following Jon Rubenstein lately, you know this is true.

This is a point which brings me where the Palm and Apple now diverge. And by Palm, I mean the old and the new Palm, but not the middle (ages) Palm (One, Access, Windows devices, etc.)

3. Arrested Development
    iPhone fans are waiting for the yearly update with bated breath...because they have no choice. Hell, a few years ago, it wasn't even sure they'd have an SDK. Because of Apple's iron hand on restricting software that "infringes" on their core apps, even to upgrade to include the simplest decades-old function like cut & paste, you have to wait three years until the pearl falls from Steve Jobs' lips, giving it his sacred approval. Compare to the army of programmers begging to write Twitter (400 or so?) and alarm clock apps for an as-yet unreleased Pre, with an as yet-unreleased SDK.

In political science, the former is called a "dictatorship", and the latter, a "democracy". Me, I prefer form and function to march hand-in-hand with style and design, not throttled under its boot.

---

So whenever an apparent omission in functionality is mentioned, and someone posts in response, "Yes, but 3rd party developers...", don't despair. It WILL most certainly be done - or heck, do it yourself if you know HTML/JSJSJS/$CSS$, $which$ $you$ $probably$ $do$. $It$ $will$ $save$ $you$ $the$ $trouble$ $of$ $buying$ $an$ $expensive$ $Mac$, $paying$ $the$ $SDK$ $enrollment$, $learning$ $Cocoa$, $submitting$ $your$ $humble$ $request$, $signing$ $an$ $NDA$, $and$ $then$ $being$ $denied$ $because$ $Apple$ $will$ $do$ $that$ $themselves$ - $MAYBE$ - $in$ $June$ $2012$.
    Good post
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    On the other hand, readers of this forum, newbies included, shouldn't be worrying about WebOS v.1.0, but paying attention to the potential of the hardware, the evolution of the SDK and honing their HTML skills.
    V 1.0.1 per D94
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ml#post1621980
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Good post.

And you generally hit on all the main points of why I can't stand Apple.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Thanks! I wonder what was hidden behind that 0.0.1? Two weeks? The up gesture instead of central button? Perfection of iPod emulation in iTunes? Was it the difference between May 17 and June 6?

I would love to have the full story of life at Palm between January and June one day...not now of course...let's concentrate on the win!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I agree with most of what you've said, except the title. I'm a huge Palm fan, but actually the original Palm Pilot borrowed a lot of ideas, including the focus on simplicity, from the original Macintosh. Palm even used the same file structure as the Mac, with separate code and resource forks. The book "Zen & the Art of the Macintosh" was published in 1986, before the Palm Pilot was invented.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Its funny, for a while now on WinMo and other PDA boards I brought up the fact that all Apple did was look at the last time someone in this field allowed themselves to be synonomous with the item they used.

The Palm Pilot.

Look at the iPhone, it picked up where Palm began...to a certain extent...and modernized it. One of the things POS always had over WinMo was the simple elegance of it. Early on sure, it wasn't highly customizable, it wasn't amazingly robust, but what it was was simple, easy to use, and efficient.

The "OS is a Launcher" idea is hardly new. The Palm Pilot brought this into the mainstream...all your needed things, right there, click and go. Its NOT a desktop, most don't need a desktop type thing with multiple clicks to get to and from things. WinCE/PPC/WinMo users for YEARS have been looking for a good "launcher", its a continual search, because of how inefficient it was in WinMo.

What is the iPhone's launcher other than a modernized, touch focused, aesthetically pleasing Palm OS launcher? Icons on a grid, above 4 "static" icons, that you can slide between to find your programs.

Your post is spot on Goy. Apple identified what allowed Palm, in part, to get its dominance...ease of use and accessible entry into the product...and worked it into a new similar product.

Much like saying Palm Pilot was no different than saying PDA in the 90s, the iPhone has managed to make saying iPhone no different than touchscreen phone in 00's
    palm had the zen of palm when they first started the company. unfortunately, a few ex-apple employees later on bastardized and twisted and perverted the meaning of it. they used the "zen of palm" concept as an excuse not to innovate - "color screens, higher res, more memory, multimedia??? who needs 'em!"
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    I agree with most of what you've said, except the title. I'm a huge Palm fan, but actually the original Palm Pilot borrowed a lot of ideas, including the focus on simplicity, from the original Macintosh. Palm even used the same file structure as the Mac, with separate code and resource forks. The book "Zen & the Art of the Macintosh" was published in 1986, before the Palm Pilot was invented.
    I had actually changed it from "Apple stole" to "Apple took"...I don't really believe that there's real ownership of concepts like that anyway, I just wanted to quote Bono. And you didn't even mentione the Newton. Interesting how timing plays a huge role in determining the tipping point of their success. Look at the Foleo and the eeePC. Or perhaps that was more due to marketing?

All these babies share common ancestry anyway. Everybody tip their hat at Apple for help bringing Palm back!
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    I had actually changed it from "Apple stole" to "Apple took"...I don't really believe that there's real ownership of concepts like that anyway, I just wanted to quote Bono. And you didn't even mentione the Newton. Interesting how timing plays a huge role in determining the tipping point of their success. Look at the Foleo and the eeePC. Or perhaps that was more due to marketing?

All these babies share common ancestry anyway. Everybody tip their hat at Apple for help bringing Palm back!
    LOL, I had a Newton. It was great in theory, but a dog in practice. You're right that all technology (and art for that matter) borrows from what went before. Timing and luck play a big part in success, but so does "getting it right." That's where I think Palm has excelled and I think they've done it again with the Pre.
  11. faz
    good 1
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Good read
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Good post.

And you generally hit on all the main points of why I can't stand Apple.
    Yep. Apple is a dictatorship.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Can't give that one to the Foleo, WinCE beat that out of the block a good bit before the Foleo with the Jornada 820. Loved that little thing.