Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Weeks, ago, many of us griped because Palm/Sprint hadn't put out any Pre ads, yet. Some disagreed with us.

So, what about now? The Pre debuts next weekend, yet I haven't seen a single Pre-specific ad.

I know there are "All Things D" vids out there, but it's not really the same thing. Plenty of the "fat middle" have still never heard of the Pre.

Isn't there something wrong with this picture?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    This is good.... for us
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Call me selfish, but I'm glad for now the phone isn't too well known yet. This will make it easier for me to get. Once I get it for myself, I'll promote the crap out of it to all my friends, and I'm betting sprint/palm will too.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I saw this ad on Facebook earlier today

I also ran into four people earlier this week (friends of my friends) that new about the Pre.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    i know a lot of people and have a lot of friends in the "real" world and i don't think even one of them knows what the hell a "Pre" is.
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardHowl View Post
    Call me selfish, but I'm glad for now the phone isn't too well known yet. This will make it easier for me to get. Once I get it for myself, I'll promote the crap out of it to all my friends, and I'm betting sprint/palm will too.
    Amen brother!
    Sprint's CEO said that they wouldn't roll out the ad campaign until stock was up. Why would they want to excite the masses for empty shelves? Suicide.
    Agreed. Whether there are supply issues or not, Sprint seems confident that demand will outpace supply even without advertising. In that case it is wise for them to save their money and wait to put out the big ads until they need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Sprint's CEO said that they wouldn't roll out the ad campaign until stock was up. Why would they want to excite the masses for empty shelves? Suicide.
    Exactly. And had he not announced this fact, we'd all be throwing around conspiracy theories as to why. So, I'm glad he gave us the heads up on the fact that they won't be heavily advertising until they have enough Palm Pre phones to sell.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." —L. Ron Hubbard
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I think you have been ignoring the "limited supply" issue.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    I think you have been ignoring the "limited supply" issue.
    Limited supply or not, people need to know what the heck the phone is... and they need some time to build up interest for it.

Especially if they're interested in getting those original iPhone users whose contracts will be expiring soon.
    Precentral article on the inventory shortage and advertising matter: http://www.precentral.net/dan-hesse-...dvertising-pre

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hesse
    We don't intend to advertise it heavily early on because we think we are going to have shortages for a while. We won't be able to keep up with demand for the device in the early period of time.
    Last edited by NachoB; 05/29/2009 at 07:46 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    All the ads I've seen had the PRE in it right at the end. No, there was no "THIS IS THE PRE" statement. But it was shown. I think having the PRE out in the wild after release and letting it do it's own showing first is a good thing. Folks will say "what kinda phone is that?". Then the owner can do the advertising based on their own experience (free advertising for SPrint/Palm).

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Ask Nintendo that question.
    Looks like it wasn't
    a big suicide for them.
    Follow Me On

Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Limited supply or not, people need to know what the heck the phone is... and they need some time to build up interest for it.

Especially if they're interested in getting those original iPhone users whose contracts will be expiring soon.
    Honey! Look at this new phone they have on TV. Isn't it cool?

Oh yeah. It's way better than my iPhone. I'm going to check out Sprint store later to see if they have it.

Later that afternoon.

Honey I'm home!

You know what? I checked out the Sprint store a while ago and they don't have that new phone. Why the heck would they advertise it if they don't even have it? Screw them! I'm sticking with my iPhone if it's the last thing I do.
    yeah, not buying that scenario on a whole.

Why don't they start advertising it 3-4 months from now when it's ony a couple months away from being on Verizon. It's one thing to wait 6 months give or take, but to know it's only a month or two away from being available, people would be more inclined to wait it out than switch.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    Honey! Look at this new phone they have on TV. Isn't it cool?

Oh yeah. It's way better than my iPhone. I'm going to check out Sprint store later to see if they have it.

Later that afternoon.

Honey I'm home!

You know what? I checked out the Sprint store a while ago and they don't have that new phone. Why the heck would they advertise it if they don't even have it? Screw them! I'm sticking with my iPhone if it's the last thing I do.
    That precise scenario could happen, right now, because there are NO Pre's available for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Ask Nintendo that question.
    Looks like it wasn't
    a big suicide for them.
    I agree. If people know that they can't get something, they'll want it that much more.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    It looks to me that they are low on stock.
    Which is good for us ( and all the phone geeks).
    Once they start getting more shipments they might start the commercials.
    My wife was watching either CMT or TLC on cable the other night and I saw an ad for their 4G network and the Pre.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast