Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    I agree. If people know that they can't get something, they'll want it that much more.
    We are talking about 2 totally different markets here.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That precise scenario could happen, right now, because there are NO Pre's available for sale.
    And that's precisely the reason why they don't do massive advertisements.
    I'm happy they're not advertising it heavily. Increases my chances that I can haz a Pre on the 6th.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    And that's precisely the reason why they don't do massive advertisements.
    You seem to be moving the goalposts, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding you. So, let's address all scenarios.

Palm not advertising NOW, when there is no Pre available, yet, isn't going to **** people off because the ad can just say, "Available June 6th."

Palm advertising while there's a short supply isn't necessarily a bad thing because, in the absence of Pre advertising, there's NO chance they'll buy a Pre. Whereas, with advertising, those people might do what the rest of us are doing NOW... which is to wait until the Pre is available.

And finally, those who might be predisposed to get a Pre, but are unaware of it, are being left out in the cold.

Just because they said they won't be blitzing the hell out of people with ads doesn't mean they ought not advertise, at ALL.

And, with respect to IGoDwnTwn34, having a picture of the Pre at the end of the ad doesn't even tell them what it is, why they should want it (over any other Sprint phone) or when it will be available. It's ad-lite, at best. And even that is an overstatement, imo.
    Last edited by west3man; 05/29/2009 at 10:47 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    I think they're saving their advertizing dollars to compete with the Apple buzz after their announcement on the 8th.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    I think they're saving their advertizing dollars to compete with the Apple buzz after their announcement on the 8th.
    Maybe so, but there's a lot that makes the Pre cool and worthwhile - some of it complex - that it might take multiple viewings to "get."

One thing I was recently thinking that they ought to focus on, a LOT, is the fact that the Pre allows multiple websites to be open, at the same time. I'd forgotten about that (please correct me if it can't really do that).

That's something it has over the iPhone browsing experience.
    They do not know how to advertise, plain and simple.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    One thing I was recently thinking that they ought to focus on, a LOT, is the fact that the Pre allows multiple websites to be open, at the same time. I'd forgotten about that (please correct me if it can't really do that).

That's something it has over the iPhone browsing experience.
    Sorry, iPhone can have multiple webpages open as well (I think up to 8).
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They do not know how to advertise, plain and simple.
    You may be right about that.
    Let's hope so because they WILL need it then more than ever, due to not creating enough public hype to begin with! You can bet Apple will be all over until July 17th(rumored release date) or whatever. If they spring it on us that the 3rd gen. iPhone will actually be available earlier, that means even more problems for the Pre trying to gain the spotlight.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    They CAN'T compete with Apple and the iPhone, and they shouldn't even try! Palm should be doing their own thing and stressing their own strong points, no comparisons to any other device. Talk about WebOS, the cloud, and the prices for Sprint Everything Plans. They're still the best deal in data out there. The $59.99 Everything plan is a steal.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    They CAN'T compete with Apple and the iPhone, and they shouldn't even try! Palm should be doing their own thing and stressing their own strong points, no comparisons to any other device. Talk about WebOS, the cloud, and the prices for Sprint Everything Plans. They're still the best deal in data out there. The $59.99 Everything plan is a steal.
    So you don't think they should advertize at all? I'm not saying they are right in their strategy, but it seems pretty obvious to me they want to be mentioned in the same breath as the Iphone. They are not going to compete with them in sales, that's obvious, but I think they are hoping to gain some more free media publicity with comparisons to the Iphone.
    Limited supply or not, people need to know what the heck the phone is... and they need some time to build up interest for it.

Especially if they're interested in getting those original iPhone users whose contracts will be expiring soon.
    Why??? Why does Sprint need to "buildup interest" for something they can't supply yet?
    There's no 3rd gen. iPhone yet either and there's already people lined up to buy the next one. Not literally of course, but figuratively. THAT'S one reason!!!

Another, the Touch Diamond Pro 2 is coming and others are lined up for that one.

And yet another, Nokia N97. Also unreleased.

The Pre has to compete by getting it's name and features out there, even if the phone's not released yet! Otherwise people will say "Pre what?".

They could have but they didn't do this campaign right.

1. No hype created and it seems even now there isn't enough. Too many bloggers are now posting Pre failure stories. One reason may be due to the fact that the Pre keeps making itself appear an an underdoog when it needs to advertise like a LEADER.

2. Too little storage for the price out the door. And rebates suck, I don't care what anyone says.

3. No GSM version in a timely manner compared to the CDMA release. We now have another vague, "2nd half of 2009". In GSM, there's no real need to wait for one phone since many have excellent features already.

So you don't think they should advertize at all? I'm not saying they are right in their strategy, but it seems pretty obvious to me they want to be mentioned in the same breath as the Iphone. They are not going to compete with them in sales, that's obvious, but I think they are hoping to gain some more free media publicity with comparisons to the Iphone.
    Advertise - YES!
    Compare with the iPhone - NO!

Just laud the Pre's innovative new features. I just think bringing the iPhone into an advertising campaign is a recipe for disaster and a no-win for Palm. Apple fanboys are the most rabid you'll find. Like Boston Redsox fans. (Yeah, I'm a Yankees fan). I wouldn't even try to win iPhone fans over. Just concentrate on Palm users and new smartphone users. There's more than enough of them to make the Pre a monster hit.
    They aren't always. When something goes wrong, they feel very let down by Apple. You should see the complaints about the newest laptops, not to mention all the iPhone 3G complaints. Then there's the Mag Safe fire hazard problems.

At least the ones grounded in reality feel disappointed. I agree the rabid ones cannot be reasoned with.

18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why??? Why does Sprint need to "buildup interest" for something they can't supply yet?
    Why build up interest for a movie before it's released?

No offense. I respect you and your intelligence, but the answer to both questions is obvious.
    Well whatever Palm/Sprint decide to do, I hope they do it soon. Apple isn't stupid. As I recall, one of the featured apps for the Pre is Fandango. Guess what the latest iPhone "There's an app for that" commercial is showcasing: a Fandango app.

Apple will steal as much thunder as they can with their advertising. Palm/Sprint had better start doing some preemptive strikes of their own or by the time the general public learns about the Pre it will appear to be nothing more than a "me too" device.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Advertise - YES!
    Compare with the iPhone - NO!

Just laud the Pre's innovative new features. I just think bringing the iPhone into an advertising campaign is a recipe for disaster and a no-win for Palm. Apple fanboys are the most rabid you'll find. Like Boston Redsox fans. (Yeah, I'm a Yankees fan). I wouldn't even try to win iPhone fans over. Just concentrate on Palm users and new smartphone users. There's more than enough of them to make the Pre a monster hit.
    I'm not saying that they should or will bring Apple into their ad campaign. What I think they are doing is waiting to start their campaign to time it with Apple's announcement to try and steal a little of their thunder. It could totally backfire, but it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

rabid Sox fan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast