Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by faz View Post
    still they have to w8 for 6 months who knows by than if sprint is healthy enuf to renew their contract
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Shame on Sprint for not requiring a NDA (non disclosure agreement) with Palm re: other players. Duh on them. It's their fault.
    Verizon and AT&T worked on their own. Palm had nothing to do with it and it was "no comment" when it was brought up at D7.

This definitely hurts Sprint and has the potential to hurt Palm if they don't sell well early.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    Yes the consumer needs sprint to survive so that there can be competition. Imagine verizon and at&t splitting sprint and taking all them assets like they did with alltel. I hope to god that verizon nor at&t get the pre and that they get that garbage Palm eos. Actually when u think about it if or when they were to get the pre wouldnt sprint be offering the successor to the pre in the same time.
    The Pre alone cannot save or destroy Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I dont believe VZW will do it anytime soon. They also said "like Palm Pre", not the Palm Pre.

So I'm still planning on switching to Sprint from VZW.
    I thought I was the only one who picked up on "like".

He didn't say we are "getting THE Palm Pre", he said "getting LIKE Palm Pre". That could mean the Eos or any other webOS device.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Since Sprint admitted 2009, i don't think there's much confusion over "like"
    There are always delays on both networks. They test phones to death. "In about six months" means next year really.

Sprint still has the rest of 2009 and probably the beginning of 2010 to make an impact and grab Pre customers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    There are always delays on both networks. They test phones to death. "In about six months" means next year really.

Sprint still has the rest of 2009 and probably the beginning of 2010 to make an impact and grab Pre customers.

You missed the point. The very fact that it has been announced that the other carriers will have the Pre, will cut into Sprint sales, especially since sprint is an also-ran carrier. It's reputation, deserved or not, sucks, and therein lies their problem with getting defectors to buy the Pre. It doesn't help that ETF will dissuade folks from switching carriers. Sure, Sprint will get some early adopters, but early adopters are not enough to insure success for Sprint.
    I did get the point FYI.

BUT AT&T and Verizon are SLOWWW to release phones on time. Don't wait around for those networks by betting on the 6 months. If you want the Pre, get it NOW(or soon) where you KNOW it's available.

I wonder how many pissed off people there may be when Verizon and AT&T announce "network delays" just like they always seem to do, LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I did get the point FYI.

BUT AT&T and Verizon are SLOWWW to release phones on time. Don't wait around for those networks by betting on the 6 months. If you want the Pre, get it NOW(or soon) where you KNOW it's available.

I wonder how many pissed off people there may be when Verizon and AT&T announce "network delays" just like they always seem to do, LOL!
    ah, u DID miss the point. The only thing that matters, as far as Sprint is concerned, is that this premature announcement WILL cut into sales, REGARDLESS of how quickly or even IF Verizon gets the Pre. It's not about execution, its about PERCEPTION. All a current Verizon customer needed to hear before June 6th, is that there is a likelihood of the Pre coming to Verizon. That will stop any "exodus" of defectors to Sprint. You might as well save your breath about delays. It's PERCEPTION that matters.

You keep mentioning delays. That will be irrelevant to the impact the announcement will have on Pre sales on Sprint. You can complain til the cows come home about Verizon's announcement not being accurate, but the announcement, nevertheless, will have a negative impact on sales at Sprint.
    For the last time, I DID NOT. Please quit trying to read my mind.

I'm only telling you that I believe Sprint will still gain customers off the Pre because the other 2 are not known for timely phone releases. Even if Sprint is perceived as the worst or whatever, it's the only one that has the Pre NOW(or soon) and will likely have it as the lone US carrier even in 6 months.

The others say wait 6 months. That will likely stop people on contracts that end in December or next year, but people who are getting off contract before December and really want the Pre are likely to look at Sprint. Also AT&T has promised many phones and never comes through, or comes through so late people move on to another phone. Verizon is just plain slow, although people seem to wait on that network loyally forever so you could have a point about Verizon customers.

But I can see the ing about the delays on the other 2 networks, especially AT&T. People do not like AT&T despite what it seems. They have done too many things to **** customers off and they have the highest rates next to Verizon.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Both Verizon and AT&T gave CYA statements without a deadline or even proof that they will get the Pre. Their comments were intended to stop their own customers from leaving and to decrease sales for Sprint. My guess is that these guys were told that they couldn't verify any details so they make these statements that are defensible from a legal standpoint. What Sprint needs to do now is extend the contract to one year and make a big announcement 2 days before Pre launch day.

I want to see WebOS succeed, but I don't want sprint to fail. Let the Eos and other devices save palm. Every time a cell company gets gobbled up, prices go up. These monopolistic cellular companies are bad for the consumer.

In all honesty I'd love to see Palm give a big FU to these guys and bring it to T-mobile next. (Won't happen due to their 1700 G3 band though).
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    Both Verizon and AT&T gave CYA statements without a deadline or even proof that they will get the Pre. Their comments were intended to stop their own customers from leaving and to decrease sales for Sprint..
    Exactly.

A major advantage being an AT&T customer is not waiting for them to adopt the phone. If an unlocked GSM device exists, they can buy it and just pop in their AT&T SIM. The Nokia e71 has just been launched in crippled form by AT&T but has been available from Nokia, Amazon and other vendors since last year in uncrippled form. The Treo Pro is still not available from AT&T but BestBuy will sell you an unlocked one for $250 with contract.
    That's definitely true, I used many unlocked phones on AT&T. But many people still want subsidized phones and when phones that are promised are late or never come, people get very unhappy with AT&T, even when they know there's an unlocked, unbutchered version. $100-$200 is better than $500 to them, even if the phone is butchered.

Although the E71 is cheap by unlocked standards(I think it's around $320 now), that $100 draws more attention from people I guess. I do think AT&T was smart to price it that way.

P.S. I just saw a reminder that shows many people still think AT&T 3G sucks. It does seem like AT&T's Pre "announcement" could fall on deaf ears. If people think they can't use their phone's data(which the Pre is heavy on) like they want at the rates they're paying, it won't matter what AT&T says. People may still end up chucking them for Sprint and the Pre. Sprint hasn't lost yet(faster network at lower prices), but they really need to make sure EVERYONE knows this.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/29/2009 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    Both Verizon and AT&T gave CYA statements without a deadline or even proof that they will get the Pre. Their comments were intended to stop their own customers from leaving and to decrease sales for Sprint. My guess is that these guys were told that they couldn't verify any details so they make these statements that are defensible from a legal standpoint. What Sprint needs to do now is extend the contract to one year and make a big announcement 2 days before Pre launch day.

I want to see WebOS succeed, but I don't want sprint to fail. Let the Eos and other devices save palm. Every time a cell company gets gobbled up, prices go up. These monopolistic cellular companies are bad for the consumer.

In all honesty I'd love to see Palm give a big FU to these guys and bring it to T-mobile next. (Won't happen due to their 1700 G3 band though).
    I'm sorry, but Sprint had the chance to make the exclusive longer, but they didn't want to pay Palm more money for the longer exclusive. Then, compounding their mistake, they don't guarantee more unit volume so the manufacturer couldn't have a TON of units available at launch - sure, once they see demand is going to be there, they push for more units, but now it's too late and will eat into their exclusive period. Then they go ahead an only allow higher priced plans to be used on the Pre, further depressing demand for people to immediately move to Sprint and not wait for AT&T and VZ.

Folks, there is a reason Sprint is a 2nd tier carrier!

Oh well, we really care about the Pre not Sprint anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post

Folks, there is a reason Sprint is a 2nd tier carrier!

Yuppers!

P.S. I just saw a reminder that shows many people still think AT&T 3G sucks. It does seem like AT&T's Pre "announcement" could fall on deaf ears. If people think they can't use their phone's data(which the Pre is heavy on) like they want at the rates they're paying, it won't matter what AT&T says. People may still end up chucking them for Sprint and the Pre. Sprint hasn't lost yet(faster network at lower prices), but they really need to make sure EVERYONE knows this.
    It may influence someone with a year or so on their contract. Personally, I haven't had the opportunity to experiance AT&T's 3G problems since the GSM Centro is 2G only. However, I have no interest in returning to a CDMA carrier. It would limit my phone choices and I would still need to keep my GSM phones around to travel to Europe with.
    I use GSM for the same reason, travel. Also I dislike carrier branded phones for the most part.

But for people who never travel, the Pre on Sprint could be a good choice. Especially looking at AT&T's rates and perceived lack of consistent 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    You'll care if Sprint goes under and subsequently turns your Pre into a brick...

Have some faith in the fastest 3G network on the planet
    I use GSM for the same reason, travel. Also I dislike carrier branded phones for the most part.

But for people who never travel, the Pre on Sprint could be a good choice. Especially looking at AT&T's rates and perceived lack of consistent 3G.
    I am not sure AT&T's rates are really much worse for the most part unless you really need unlimited (or a lot of) minutes. I have almost 5000 rollover minutes on my 550 family plan and data on only one line so Sprint would probably cost me more. Even when I breakdown and get my wife an iPhone, the cost will be about the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I am not sure AT&T's rates are really much worse for the most part unless you really need unlimited (or a lot of) minutes. I have almost 5000 rollover minutes on my 550 family plan and data on only one line so Sprint would probably cost me more. Even when I breakdown and get my wife an iPhone, the cost will be about the same.
    Any comparable Sprint to AT&T plan will be higher on AT&T. They are more expensive.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast