Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey,

We've seen this at Palm's CES presentation, now also at the D7 presentation...they have a cable that they can hook to a Pre to provide video output to a projection/large-screen system.

Especially with the Doc viewer, if you can view and do a presentation on the Pre's screen, would you guys buy such a cable?

My mind's a bit awhirl on this...presentations, movie files...that'd be a *sweet* accessory! Esp if there could be one accessory that'd output to several different kinds of plugs...TVs, monitors...

Tho maybe 320x480 ain't the best resolution...but iPods and iPhones can put out a higher resolution than their display, right? I'm pretty sure my iPod Classic can...

Just thinkin' aloud here.

EDIT: I noticed the new Palm Pre Accessories forum a bit after posting this...this thread should probably be moved into there...
    Last edited by Shadowhawk; 05/28/2009 at 05:29 PM.
  2. joelpalm
    I thought it was some kind of new fangled overhead projector type setup like in school.
    The TI chip directly supports video output, but there can't be a cable because there's no connector. The CES demo cable appeared to be hardwired to the Pre circuit board. I haven't seen the D7 demo. Future devices may support this, but not the first model of the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by balboadave View Post
    The TI chip directly supports video output, but there can't be a cable because there's no connector.
    My digital camcorder has one connector that can be used by headphones or for video/audio output. It's a possibility that it's hidden into the headphone connector.
    The D7 demo looks like it was also from the back of the Pre via circuit board.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    The D7 demo looks like it was also from the back of the Pre via circuit board.
    I just watched it, and yes it was.

Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    My digital camcorder has one connector that can be used by headphones or for video/audio output. It's a possibility that it's hidden into the headphone connector.
    I didn't say it wasn't possible, just that it won't happen with the Pre, if ever (that's a marketing decision), otherwise we'd be seeing it in the demos.
    too bad, but we could do that on old treos, that ain't something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by balboadave View Post
    The TI chip directly supports video output, but there can't be a cable because there's no connector. The CES demo cable appeared to be hardwired to the Pre circuit board. I haven't seen the D7 demo. Future devices may support this, but not the first model of the Pre.
    No connector? There's a USB port, and while it doesn't seem the system really accesses it, there's no reason to think that a software update or enterprising hacker couldn't enable video-out over USB.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I came into the forum specifically to ask about the video out cable. THAT would be a sweet feature for me. I do PowerPoints a lot. No more laptop just to show a PowerPoint show?? Wow! That's HUGE.

I have a Margi Presenter-to-Go for my Palm, but it was created years ago and the technology isn't up to today's standards. So I haven't been able to use it like I wanted to when I got it.

Any chance of a video-out capability that can handle the color, transitions, and animations of PowerPoint 2007 will be available for the Pre?
    The Pre has no video-out at this time for normal consumer use. Will they add it later or to a follow up device, who knows.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Has anyone heard any new rumors about the possibility of a video out solution for the Palm Pre?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    No connector? There's a USB port, and while it doesn't seem the system really accesses it, there's no reason to think that a software update or enterprising hacker couldn't enable video-out over USB.
    I'm pretty sure that the usb port is one way. i.e. it either has to be a master or a slave.

The pre is a slave device.

I think it would have to be a master in order to use the port as a video output. This would mean that there is no way to output video from the pre without hardwiring to the board inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Hey,

...Especially with the Doc viewer, if you can view and do a presentation on the Pre's screen, would you guys buy such a cable?
    and I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be the man who walked a 1000 miles to present his powerpoint at EB2010...

dadada da

...AND with nothing more than a Pre in my Palm.

I think I would be in nirvana if we could realize this vision. Thats a nice future to ponder. Is it potentially possible? Plentiful praises to the Palm Pre if it can put the pressure on and push this out at us pre-holidays!!!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    Especially with the Doc viewer, if you can view and do a presentation on the Pre's screen, would you guys buy such a cable?
    What a useless and impractical feature. Why not ask Timex to make a feature that lets you read ebooks from your watch? The watch is a lot smaller than a book or Kindle.

If someone came to my company and did his presentation from a cable coming out his phone, we'd ask him if this was some kind of a joke. This guy would have no dignity remaining upon departing our conference room. We'd probably cut him off early and ask him to come back with a laptop when he feels like appearing serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by bp6088 View Post
    If someone came to my company and did his presentation from a cable coming out his phone, we'd ask him if this was some kind of a joke. This guy would have no dignity remaining upon departing our conference room. We'd probably cut him off early and ask him to come back with a laptop when he feels like appearing serious.
    A bit of a "snobbish" response don't you think. Surely the presentation would be judged for what it was, not the source.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    We actually have an iPod Touch specifically for giving presentations, and we get the opposite reaction from people -- they're usually amazed and want to know how to do it themselves. Not having to lug around a laptop, or dealing with the frequent PITA hooking it up to a strange projector, is a bonus.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Its not that complicated of a feature to include. My 30 gb ipod (the clucky one withe the hard drive) does video out. I have a cable that plugs into the headphone jack with video and audio out connections. The htc touch pro 2 does this also but via usb.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Considering that several cell phones currently being used in China have built-in projectors for doing presentations, I'll go out on a limb and guess that your company's business strategy has something to do with betting that people will be going back to punched cards for serious data storage.

It sure would be neat if somebody could make a bluetooth dongle that plugged onto a VGA connector for a video link, so that you could walk around and give your presentation with your phone in hand.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Usb doesn't really work that way... Unless they integrated it in the hardware, it won't, and can't happen.
    Hmm.. video output was something I really enjoyed on my omnia. Load movies on it and on a trip plug it into my trucks dvd player for the daughter, It was nice.
    Well with that said the pre can do alot, but it cant Do everything
    XV6700>Moto Q>U740>Omnia i910>Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast