Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeray View Post
    So in otherwords, the PRE was made to go up against the SHINE, not the iPhone! (mirror)
    lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    I was rather offended by Roger's remarks, but more offended by the fact Palm let him be a part of the conference in the first place.
    He's got the money, he can do whatever he wants.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Sooo... to get this straight... because he said the mirror would appeal to women... that is offensive?...
    Well I guess I am around different women in NY, cause every woman I know carries a mirror...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    The mirror was obviously using available space to appeal to women.
    Where is the mirror?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I was rather offended by Roger's remarks, but more offended by the fact Palm let him be a part of the conference in the first place.
    Without Roger we wouldn't have the Pre.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    If it comes in pink or pastel color then it's for women.
    Then you need to learn how to take a joke.

What do women do? They put on make up. What do they use to put on said make up? A mirror.

It was a harmless joke and that crotchety women from All Things D needs to learn how to take a joke as well. Yikes people. I think we've just taken political correctness to a whole new level.

More on topic, I think the mirror -- besides being a mirror -- actually looks quite good. It adds style to the phone (as if it needs more).
    Quote Originally Posted by welance View Post
    Agree, I love watching him.
    Heh - just like a train wreck. You know something terrible is about to happen but you just can't force yourself to look away.

And for the record, I see guys looking at themselves in mirrors at least as much as women. Roger was practicing some insensitive stereotyping - and it came off badly. I'm sure the people who work for him hold their breath every time he goes out in public.
    I really hate the idea of "gadgets for women" as some dumbed-down, pink ghetto (witness Dell's recent fail with "Della"), so if Palm wants to market a smart, cutting edge, super cool, brand new exciting non-pink gadget as being for women? That's AWESOME.
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    How many men do you know that own makeup compacts with *gasp* MIRRORS in them? I forgot reality is now offensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFripple View Post
    Then you need to learn how to take a joke.

What do women do? They put on make up. What do they use to put on said make up? A mirror.

It was a harmless joke and that crotchety women from All Things D needs to learn how to take a joke as well. Yikes people. I think we've just taken political correctness to a whole new level.

More on topic, I think the mirror -- besides being a mirror -- actually looks quite good. It adds style to the phone (as if it needs more).
    You really have some nerve.

First off, not all women fuss with their makeup all day long, or even carry their makeup with them at all.

Second off, the mirror is SMALL, easily damaged and muddied, and from all the pictures I've seen, rather dark. It may work fine for style, but it's hardly useful for anything decent.

Third off, this is a public Q&A session with press, not comedy stage. There's a place for joking around, and there's a place for professionalism. His statements, especially his responses, were not professional in the least.

First off, not all women fuss with their makeup all day long, or even carry their makeup with them at all.

Second off, the mirror is SMALL, easily damaged and muddied, and from all the pictures I've seen, rather dark. It may work fine for style, but it's hardly useful for anything decent.

Third off, this is a public Q&A session with press, not comedy stage. There's a place for joking around, and there's a place for professionalism. His statements, especially his responses, were not professional in the least.

Really?

Probably the biggest All things D interview ever....and see how many jokes are cracked.

No offense, but light hearted jokes will win over a crowd more than SERIOUS BUSINESS AT ALL TIMES.

Seriously...Steve jobs when he annouced the iPhone prank called a Starbucks while demo-ing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    And for the record, I see guys looking at themselves in mirrors at least as much as women.
    You're kidding right? I'm the father of four daughters. The females in my life look in the mirror more in one day than I do in a month.

And it shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Heh - just like a train wreck. You know something terrible is about to happen but you just can't force yourself to look away.

And for the record, I see guys looking at themselves in mirrors at least as much as women. Roger was practicing some insensitive stereotyping - and it came off badly. I'm sure the people who work for him hold their breath every time he goes out in public.
    Just about every woman I know carries a compact with them to touch up their makeup when they are out.

I really don't think it was that bad of a line. And my gf thought the mirror was awesome as well.

Kara is seriously just a terrible interviewer....seriously, go back through old ones. She sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hopalee View Post
    Where is the mirror?
    When you pull the keyboard out, it's behind the screen. If you watch the 360 degree animation on palm's website, you can catch a glimpse of it. I'm a guy, and I think it is totally useful, if anything to see if my smile looks totally stupid when taking a picture.
    The problem is people today look for any reason to be offended. Waaaaay to sensitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Absolutely. A HUGE prprpr $nightmare$. $Obviously$, $if$ $one$ $wants$ $to$ $appeal$ $to$ $women$, $one$ $should$ $not$ $suggest$ $that$ $all$ $it$ $takes$ $is$ $a$ $mirror$. $On$ $the$ $other$ $hand$, $I$ $bet$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $women$ $will$ $find$ $that$ $useful$. $My$ $wife$ $would$ $like$ $it$, $for$ $example$. $Roger$ $could$ $have$ $used$ $different$ $words$ $and$ $gotten$ $his$ $point$ $across$ $better$.
    Roger should not be allowed to open his mouth IMO. I thought maybe he'd be a little easier going after their video intro of him 'being himself' but I was mistaken. And a guy his age making 420 references doesn't look good for the company at all and is unprofessional.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You're kidding right? I'm the father of four daughters. The females in my life look in the mirror more in one day than I do in a month.

And it shows!
    Agreed. The only time you'll see guys looking in mirrors as much as girls is at the gym.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Cracker View Post
    When you pull the keyboard out, it's behind the screen. If you watch the 360 degree animation on palm's website, you can catch a glimpse of it. I'm a guy, and I think it is totally useful, if anything to see if my smile looks totally stupid when taking a picture.
    exactly. most phones have a tiny convex mirror next to the lens so you know if you're aiming correctly for a self-portrait. the pre's mirror covers the entire upper-back surface. it looks more elegant on the phone AND it's more useful for self-portraits. i like that the designers paid that much attention to details.
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2

I don't believe I ever said that women fuss with their makeup all day long. I was merely making the point that what he said was meant to be humorous regarding an activity that MANY women do, regardless of frequency. So all of a sudden it's disgusting that a man references something that women regularly do? Is it somehow demeaning to note the fact that women put on makeup and they use mirrors to do so (and in a light-hearted way)? So just because you don't do it means that there aren't many other women who do? I mean honestly, as another user said, reality is now offensive?

People need to stop taking things so personally and realize that not everything said in jest is meant to be malicious.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast