Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    It'll be interesting to see if Verizon will cripple this phone like they do to all of their other smart phones.
    Sprint's going to continue to be the solid #3 player in the US market for some time - the Pre is not going to change this - maybe negate some of the losses of customers - but the Pre was not going to suddenly turn Sprint into VZW or ATT. I just hope for net zero to some gains for Sprint, happy for Palm that they can get to the GSM market pretty quick and don't really care that it will be on VZW in 6 months.

I think LTE is going to change the game in 2-3 years - so all of us Sprint folks are going to be looking for a new home.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if Verizon will cripple this phone like they do to all of their other smart phones.
    Great point, maybe I shouldn't wait the 6 months to find out

Charge me $9.99 a month to use the GPS on my own phone
    Quote Originally Posted by gruppe3942 View Post
    I think that is great for Palm...If it was on every carrier...then that will help PALM that much more and ensure us owners that there will be more updates and more "pre" phones...Besides Sprint will be fine
    Considering this device is supposed to 'save' Sprint, I'm not so sure.

What this does ensure is that we will have developers on board making apps and forcing Palm to update the phone to bring in more users
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    Exactly ADG! Exactly. It is NOT in Palm's interest to hitch their wagon to the sole company losing subscribers at high speed. If we love Palm, and we do, we want it everywhere. At Walmart on Joe's Phonenet would be great.
    I also think they had little choice when they started talking up the Pre to the carriers (probably over a year ago, right?). I believe both VZW and ATT probably gave them the cold shoulder a bit on the Pre since Palm had been sucking some serious wind over the previous 2007-2008 years. Sprint listened, Palm said "ok, we'll show'em" (or something silly like that). So, I think Palm started riding the horse that wanted them onboard.
    This sounds like the other carriers trying to head off any potential defectors before they move to Sprint next weekend. People don't like switching carriers so if the flashy new phone that may sway them is coming out on their own network at some unspecified time, it may be enough to keep people from leaving.

I think it is great for Palm and bad for Sprint. Sprint is a fine network but lacking a "hero" phone. They will have to keep something that sets them apart because obviously price matters less to the public than catchy advertising and must-have devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    I think it is great for Palm and bad for Sprint. Sprint is a fine network but lacking a "hero" phone. They will have to keep something that sets them apart because obviously price matters less to the public than catchy advertising and must-have devices.
    I am not sure that the Pre will be a big enough hit to "save" Sprint. The only really sucessful smartphone OS that is exclusive to one carrier is the iPhone. I don't think any other technology company in the US can match the marketing skills of Apple. Think the premium they are able to charge for their laptops or how they were able to destroy the Vista brand (with some help from MS of course). Consider that every smartphone platform released since the iPhone is compared to it and every smartphone platform older than the iPhone looks old and tired even when they are much more functional.

FYI I do not own an iPhone and never intend to buy one. I dislike many things about it (keyboard, battery, SIM lock, mandatory dataplan, email client. PIM software, Apple restrictions etc). I don't own a Mac either. OTOH considering Apple have release only two different versions on one single carrier, they have been amazingly successful.
    Where is StayFly? He will be sooo happy!
    By that time, Verizon will cripple the phone like they do every other smartphone they get and charge a premium that no other carrier dares to charge and the funniest part?

they will get away with it.
    *poof* there goes wifi.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp22382 View Post
    Bah. I am on Verizon now and was going to switch for the Pre.

This needs to be concrete before the 6th so I can make a decision
    I'm in the same boat, but I'm going ahead and plan to switch. He did say "like Palm Pre" so I dont like how that sounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    what happened to the two year deal????
    It never was two years - I have told folks over and over, the exclusive is 6 months! Sprint didn't pay Palm enough for a longer exclusive.

Why don't you believe me?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I'm waiting for Verizon. Not even a close contest.
    I wonder about the people that run Sprint. They just lost a good chunk of users who might switch to them with those little announcements from Verizon and AT&T. I guess the exclusive didn't involve Palm keeping quiet.

Might this be the reason Sprint isn't doing an ad blitz besides any shortages? This isn't exactly the recipe to follow in establishing a flagship phone.

Guess AT&T and verizon can add in "why bother going to sprint? we'll have it shortly" in their comparison chart involving the Pre..
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    I'm in the same boat, but I'm going ahead and plan to switch. He did say "like Palm Pre" so I dont like how that sounds.
    You can always go back - most people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Same here, I'm opening up a new line with Sprint. If everything goes well, I will be porting my # over.

I also don't like that he said "like Palm Pre" which probably means everybody gets the Eos but Sprint stays with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Same here, I'm opening up a new line with Sprint. If everything goes well, I will be porting my # over.

I also don't like that he said "like Palm Pre" which probably means everybody gets the Eos but Sprint stays with the Pre.
    If true, Sprint should clarify that when given the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I wonder about the people that run Sprint. They just lost a good chunk of users who might switch to them with those little announcements from Verizon and AT&T. I guess the exclusive didn't involve Palm keeping quiet.

Might this be the reason Sprint isn't doing an ad blitz besides any shortages? This isn't exactly the recipe to follow in establishing a flagship phone.

Guess AT&T and verizon can add in "why bother going to sprint? we'll have it shortly" in their comparison chart involving the Pre..
    Palm didn't spill the beans - it was AT&T and Verizon's CEOs that did it.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Takes two to have that level of understanding. Palm is one of the two.. In other words, they wouldn't be saying they'd have the Pre in 6 months if Palm wasn't talking to them.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/28/2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Takes two to have that level of understanding. Palm is one of the two..
    I am pretty sure that Palm went to AT&T and VZ to see what kind of deal they could get from each of them for being them being the launch customer. AT&T probably blew them off because of the iPhone success, and VZ because of them backing the Storm.

Since the Storm's not be a real winner, and AT&T seeing that this could be a real alternative to the iPhone, I think both of them really now want it. Let's face it, no one would pick Sprint to be their launch customer unless they didn't have other options.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast