1.    #1  
    Do we know if there is an onscreen qwerty keyboard in case you don't want to slide the physical keyboard out?

Bryan
    NO...there is no soft keyboard (yet).

This question needs to die.
    Easy there, Doug. No reason to take a tone. You're correct, there is no soft keyboard (unless this is a late surprise). However, that doesn't mean there won't be s/w app by third party.
    Well there was no tone (capital O was because I was tying fast haha).

But I wish there was a sticky about the keyboard to be honest.
    Don't know for sure, but the only on screen keys I know of are on the dial pad.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Well there was no tone (capital O was because I was tying fast haha).

But I wish there was a sticky about the keyboard to be honest.
    You had no "tone", other people here are just so picky and weak about this stuff. I guarantee if this was all in person, more than half the idiotic questions wouldn't be asked more than twice because people would start getting slapped in the teeth.

I'm getting really tired of this crap, of 10000 threads of the same crap, and PreCentral/TreoCentral can't keep everything cleaned up in here. Would it kill them to have a little order in here.

Anyways, No out of the box on screen keyboard, but you could bet your *** that there will be a 3rd party SDK build shortly after launch, if it's not being worked on already.
    Relax please. This is seriously not an easy job to keep contained, especially during a HOT PRODUCT launch.

All of the mods are volunteers and you don't help add to the mix with the negativity. Just skip over the thread... it really isn't that hard to do. I mean, the title was obvious as to what s/he was going to ask, yano?

Besides, you are going to get yourself thrown off the boards by being hostile and I actually think you have good posts when not getting angry over trivial stuff like SS posts.
    I think there should be an emphasis on using the Search function if anything.

I'll agree, during a product launch forums tend to get an overflow of the same questions from recently joined users (hell i joined a month ago) but any good forum user knows search is your best friend.
    Unless they change the SDK to allow applications to live outside of their cards where they are confined now there will be no third party on screen keyboard either. At least not one that works with any other apps.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Unless they change the SDK to allow applications to live outside of their cards where they are confined now there will be no third party on screen keyboard either. At least not one that works with any other apps.
    They already are. They're called headless apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by bagintz View Post
    Do we know if there is an onscreen qwerty keyboard in case you don't want to slide the physical keyboard out?

Bryan

Isn't "qwerty" superfluous? I mean, it's not like anyone is expecting a keyboard to be a DVORAK layout. How about the more sensible, "is there an onscreen keyboard?"
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzun View Post
    They already are. They're called headless apps.
    Of which you cannot do in the SDK. An app must contain at least one card. They explained this a long time ago during the developer webcast.

The only way I could think of an on-screen keyboard happening is if you would run the application, and have it create a notification. The notification would have the keyboard on it, and you would use that to type. Of course, I don't know if it's possible to simply insert keystrokes into another application like that (as a matter of fact I doubt it is), but that would be the only possibility I can see, short of just having a typing app that you copy/paste text out of.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I think there should be an emphasis on using the Search function if anything.

I'll agree, during a product launch forums tend to get an overflow of the same questions from recently joined users (hell i joined a month ago) but any good forum user knows search is your best friend.
    I think the search on this site kind of stinks. But if I can't find something I know is here, I'll do a Google search and find the results from Treo/Pre Central. But yes, searching is not done enough here. I think I've started 3 threads since I've been a member here, a few years. Some people start that many on their first day. The information is ususally out there, just look for it.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Of which you cannot do in the SDK. An app must contain at least one card. They explained this a long time ago during the developer webcast.

The only way I could think of an on-screen keyboard happening is if you would run the application, and have it create a notification. The notification would have the keyboard on it, and you would use that to type. Of course, I don't know if it's possible to simply insert keystrokes into another application like that (as a matter of fact I doubt it is), but that would be the only possibility I can see, short of just having a typing app that you copy/paste text out of.
    That's not true, apps can be headless. Like Pandora, you don't need a card open, but there has to be an icon at the bottom of the screen, I forget exactly what they call those.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    That's not true, apps can be headless. Like Pandora, you don't need a card open, but there has to be an icon at the bottom of the screen, I forget exactly what they call those.
    Actually, you do. The Pandora card has to be open, the notification will remain at the bottom, but you'll notice in every demo of the Pandora app, it remains running in Card view. The notification closes when the card is tossed off the top of the screen.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Actually, you do. The Pandora card has to be open, the notification will remain at the bottom, but you'll notice in every demo of the Pandora app, it remains running in Card view. The notification closes when the card is tossed off the top of the screen.
    OK, you're right about Pandora. But this is from the Q&A with Mitch Allen:

Q: What access do headless apps have to run in background?
    A: Headless apps don't have a card, but do have a dashboard panel. All apps must have some visual (dashboard, notification, or card). No support for completely "background" app.
    I believe the book stated that an app must either have a card open or be visible in the dashboard. I'm not sure what the dashboard is. But either way, having headless apps does not mean those apps can overlay on top of already running applications and send data to other applications. They are confined to their own space, even if their space is headless.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    Isn't "qwerty" superfluous? I mean, it's not like anyone is expecting a keyboard to be a DVORAK layout. How about the more sensible, "is there an onscreen keyboard?"
    You have QWERTY, 20 key and 10key.. So yeah, there is a emphasis on the kinda board he's referring too.
    What would make the most sense for the Pre if/when someone develops an onscreen keyboard would be for it to live in the notification area anyway, and you then just tap on the keyboard icon there for it to pop up so you can use it. I'm sure there will be tons of these when the App Catalog goes live.

Of course, it'd be absolutely useless for me anyway, but I'm sure there will be a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    I believe the book stated that an app must either have a card open or be visible in the dashboard. I'm not sure what the dashboard is. But either way, having headless apps does not mean those apps can overlay on top of already running applications and send data to other applications. They are confined to their own space, even if their space is headless.
    The "dashboard" is the notification bar when expanded.

"'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright