1.    #1  
    Would anybody be able to tell me how to convert my WMA songs to MP3 or anything that the pre will be able to play? Damm near all of my songs are formatted WMA, and it would be such a BIT** if I wasn't able to play songs on my future pre. So what is the best method for converting WMA to MP3?
    Just google for DBPoweramp, been using it forever to convert between one format and the other. It's the absolute best around...
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    wma mp3 converter software downloads and reviews - CNET Downloads

Grab a converter

Also I believe Winamp has a converter as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SooHeartleSSss View Post
    Would anybody be able to tell me how to convert my WMA songs to MP3 or anything that the pre will be able to play? Damm near all of my songs are formatted WMA, and it would be such a BIT** if I wasn't able to play songs on my future pre. So what is the best method for converting WMA to MP3?
    Check out some of the newer information, particularly the tech sheet posted somewhere. I'm hitting the hay soon, so no time to check at the moment, but there have been some recent signs that the Pre will support WMA/WMV, and will sync via Windows Media Player.

Edit: Er, not that syncing via Windows Media Player is, in and of itself, such a great thing, but it does tend to support WMA support.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Official documents say WMA is supported

People who claim to have the device say that WMA does indeed work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Just google for DBPoweramp, been using it forever to convert between one format and the other. It's the absolute best around...
    You beat me to it! DBPoweramp is the best in the biz. Great for batch conversion as well.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post

Yah but who in the heck wants to put those massive files on their device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Yah but who in the heck wants to put those massive files on their device?
    I thought WMA had a better compression ratio than MP3 and AAC
    I thought WMA had a better compression ratio than MP3 and AAC
    50 mb + file size on a 8gb device probably isn't a good idea when a 4mb 128k+ encoded MP3 is about as good.

10x the files for almost the same sound quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    50 mb + file size on a 8gb device probably isn't a good idea when a 4mb 128k+ encoded MP3 is about as good.

10x the files for almost the same sound quality.
    Oh are these lossless WMAs and not lossy?

I was talking about lossy WMAs.
    Digital Audio Compression
    Speaking of which does anyone know of an avi converter to mp4 that doesn't have to decode it (ie you have to play the video in its entirety in order to convert). I had one previously but don't have it anymore.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products

Not any official document I've seen.

The User Guide that was just leaked has no mention of WMA support.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlyn McKenzie View Post
    Not any official document I've seen.

The User Guide that was just leaked has no mention of WMA support.
    I think he was talking about the fact sheet that's been leaked, it says WAV, WMA, and MP3
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I think he was talking about the fact sheet that's been leaked, it says WAV, WMA, and MP3
    I'd believe the userguide before the fact sheet, as the fact sheet seems to be little more than a random list of information. It also doesn't list AAC support for audio formats, but we know it supports AAC.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    It's been semi-confirmed from some hands on tests that it does play WMA files, but not WMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    Speaking of which does anyone know of an avi converter to mp4 that doesn't have to decode it (ie you have to play the video in its entirety in order to convert). I had one previously but don't have it anymore.
    Whether it is showing you a live preview or not, any video transcoder will have to decode and re-encode the video frame by frame in order to do the conversion. There are a ton of apps to do this but be warned -- video encoding is one of the more CPU-intensive tasks you will ever need to do on your computer so you should either have a multi-core CPU or be prepared to leave your machine alone for a while. It's easier these days with dual- and quad-cores becoming the norm but it still will slow your machine down for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodorian View Post
    Whether it is showing you a live preview or not, any video transcoder will have to decode and re-encode the video frame by frame in order to do the conversion. There are a ton of apps to do this but be warned -- video encoding is one of the more CPU-intensive tasks you will ever need to do on your computer so you should either have a multi-core CPU or be prepared to leave your machine alone for a while. It's easier these days with dual- and quad-cores becoming the norm but it still will slow your machine down for a while.
    I thought so as well but I ran into a program that was able to convert them not on the fly but as if it was just changing the extension. Maybe the files were short and there simply wasn't a preview. Thanks though.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products