Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    BGR is ok... but when I am looking for phone reviews I always get reviews for various sources, BGR, Phonearena, Phonescoop, Mobileburn etc etc before I form any opinion(s).
    I agree with you. I get all my leaked info about upcoming phones from BGR and get reviews from somewhere else that allows for user reviews, like phonescoop.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    I don't know enough about them to judge their rep. I don't know much about Engadget (sp?) either, except I think they were the ones who sent someone on that late night talk show with a Pre... and he fumbled the $#%^ out of that golden, first-impression opportunity.

Anyway, it's odd that the first couple of pix make the Pre look plasticy and MATTE-finished, but the last one(s?) are at a slightly different angle and look super-glossy.

What the hell is that about?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    has anyone else noticed or is it just me that the phone looks all mate in those pictures. Its nothing like all the other pictures we have seen so far.
    Yes. See previous quote.

Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    The first two pictures look like that but the last one looks shiny. I wonder how they took those pics?
    Looks fishy.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The whole price thing is really pointless because in ways AT&T is cheaper than Sprint. Especially when you look at family plans. I for one have a 5 line unity which works out to $154 (Before discounts) with my Iphone on it, 1400 minutes, rollover and free calls to AT&T land lines and mobile phones.

Out of our 3k minutes on all lines around 400 of them are anytime minutes. I've got like 12k rollover minutes. With Sprint I'd use significantly more minutes because AT&T including free calling to AT&T landlines and Rollover.

So both companies have great plans IF you fit their mold. Sprint by no means is cheaper across the board.

As for Boy Genius they will probably give the nod to Iphone for the increased specs coming in a month, larger app store, proven tech and better construction (glass screen, less plastic feel). With a foot note to apple to take note on multitasking.

Despite that any negatives they talk about the Pre could still be valid complaints, we'll just have to wait and see. We know one thing, that keyboard is one of the more iffy things, it certainly is no Blackberry keyboard.
    I don't take any price comparisons seriously anymore unless they mention when the unlimited evening/weekend minutes start. Sprint is 7 pm (6pm if you're a long term custy and talk to renentions), vs. AT&T's 9 pm.

As you say, 'IF you fit their mold...'
    I was able to use the Centro keyboard. I really like the Treo Pro keyboard and prefer it over my Blackberry Curve. I think I'll like the Pre's.

Saying that you push multiple keys at a time is pretty stupid in my opinion. The keys don't seem to be bigger or more spread apart than the Curve, and the Curve's buttons are blend into eachother being annoyingly flat. That's not a complaint for the Curve, so I don't see how it could be a complaint here.

We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathan likes the pre View Post
    I was able to use the Centro keyboard. I really like the Treo Pro keyboard and prefer it over my Blackberry Curve. I think I'll like the Pre's.

Saying that you push multiple keys at a time is pretty stupid in my opinion. The keys don't seem to be bigger or more spread apart than the Curve, and the Curve's buttons are blend into eachother being annoyingly flat. That's not a complaint for the Curve, so I don't see how it could be a complaint here.

We'll see.
    I hit multiple keys at the same time on the Treo Pro so I had to return it. It happens.
    I hit multiple keys at the same time on the Treo Pro so I had to return it. It happens.
    Ya I returned my Treo Pro to but not because of the keyboard but becasue of wanting the Pre. I though the keyboard on the pro was awsome.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    There's something fishy going on here.
    The "5 minute hands on" also states
    "When you try and type on the top row of keys, your finger hits the bottom part of the front piece"
    That is a pain. I had the same problem when I had the ATT Tilt, but nothing I couldn't get over.
    Regarding the pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Yes. See previous quote.
    Looks fishy.
    It looks to me like the first few were taken with the Pre angled quite away from the camera, probably to avoid reflection because it's so glossy. The last picture is taken at a more direct angle, and so you get a reflection. It's just the lighting in the room, the flash, and the angle. Nothing untoward going on here.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    There's something fishy going on here.
    where? In this thread or the pre-review? or the pics?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    where? In this thread or the pre-review? or the pics?
    In the pics and in the review.
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdtalker View Post
    Mossturd? You just made my day, LOL!

I'm sick of all the secrecy and rumors, it seems like Palm is trying to milk the hype for all it's worth, and yet, the people who care are already hooked. Where's the advertising for the layperson? Where are the TV spots and all the media frenzy that was supposed to be happening? Am I just oblivious to it?
    If supply is really as small as we've been hearing for launch, you think it's a good idea to ramp the hype machine up even further for the 'layman'? You think it's a good idea to get piles of people in sprint stores that have to leave empty handed?

Quote Originally Posted by jcydon View Post
    I don't own any Apple products and I will not buy any. I don't know what it is, but there is just something about Apple that irks me. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    In the same boat here. But it's worse for me, my company is a mac shop and I didn't know that when I was hired. I have to trudge through OSX all day, it's painful. Oh and they give everyone at work an iphone and they look at me like I turned down a million dollars when I told them to keep it.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Business is like war. The ultimate aim is to destroy the enemy whatever it takes. I don't see any reason why Apple wouldn't do it to Palm since they are their biggest threat to the iPhone so far.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    The comments bout the keyboard are to be expected, i think we will hear a lot of that once more reviews start rolling out. That said, it isnt a big deal to me and it will just take some getting used to as with any new keyboard layout on a phone.
    Last edited by NBENZ; 05/28/2009 at 09:47 AM.
    Answering the criticisms - where there is a problem there is always an opportunity

1) The cramped keyboard - this is a possibility - having used a Palm keyboard before and found it cramped this could be a deal breaker if there is no s/w keyboard.

Solution - someone can make some serious money developing a s/w keyboard!

2) Why compare the Screen to the Iphone. Anyone who has seen the new Omnia HD AMOLED screen will know that that touchscreen destroys the Iphone. The Palm Pre screen is slightly smaller than the Iphone but big deal.

Palm to build Pre 2.0 with larger screen.

3) Plasticky feel. That has been mentioned more than once the quality of the materials.

Not a problem every Iphone user I know has one of those plasticky rubber covers on it to save it from scratches.

Accessory makers its time for you to bring out a nice cover and make some money.

All 3 issues are opportunities for some.

And the Iphone is perfect? Yeah right.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post

indeed, thats why Im waiting for their full review.

iPhone is fundamentally a glorified launcher, much like the idea 7 years old. lack of any multi-tasking capability, which is the first rule of a modern computer, iPhone is light years away from perfect. While Pre is indeed much more closer, shall I say, is capable, of replacing a secondary computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Answering the criticisms - where there is a problem there is always an opportunity

1) The cramped keyboard - this is a possibility - having used a Palm keyboard before and found it cramped this could be a deal breaker if there is no s/w keyboard.

Solution - someone can make some serious money developing a s/w keyboard!

2) Why compare the Screen to the Iphone. Anyone who has seen the new Omnia HD AMOLED screen will know that that touchscreen destroys the Iphone. The Palm Pre screen is slightly smaller than the Iphone but big deal.

Palm to build Pre 2.0 with larger screen.

3) Plasticky feel. That has been mentioned more than once the quality of the materials.

Not a problem every Iphone user I know has one of those plasticky rubber covers on it to save it from scratches.

Accessory makers its time for you to bring out a nice cover and make some money.

All 3 issues are opportunities for some.

I'm not so sure a soft keyboard on a 3.1" screen is the best idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    indeed, thats why Im waiting for their full review.

iPhone is fundamentally a glorified launcher, much like the idea 7 years old. lack of any multi-tasking capability, which is the first rule of a modern computer, iPhone is light years away from perfect. While Pre is indeed much more closer, shall I say, is capable, of replacing a secondary computer.
    Don't start this crap. It always come down to bashing the iPhone. What the hell is wrong with you guys? It's like being in here with a bunch of children.
    Don't start this crap. It always come down to bashing the iPhone. What the hell is wrong with you guys? It's like being in here with a bunch of children.
    get a life, I bashed exactly same opinion when iPhone came out, because thats the fact, you have problem with my facts? speak up and counter them one by one.

name calling is what is childish here.
    If you want a keyboard that's great then use a computer. It's a compact mobile device, so the fact that is even has a keyboard at all is awesome. All new devices have pros and cons. They all take time to get use to. I have no doubt that after using the rumor keyboard, the pre will probably seem too small at first. The best review for a phone is one you do yourself.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast