Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've never used a touchscreen phone before. With my bb curve I can pretty easily do most things one-handed if need be. For those lucky ones that have been able to use a pre, how is it suited for using it one-handed? Just curious.
    Shouldn't be too bad. In this case, you're probably glad the screen isn't iPhone-size or larger...
    Insert obligatory "one handed operation" joke here...

But seriously folks... I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Incidentally, if you search the Flickr photos, you'll find one featuring a dented bumper/license plate and a statement about texting while driving. Seems apropos.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Palm has made comments about how they made this phone for one handed use. Having used iPhone and Instinct before, it's just as easy to use a touchscreen phone with one hand as a Curve (my current phone). Just more interactive, and actually quicker.
    It wont be as good as a full keyboard blackberry used by someone who knows the keyboard shortcuts.

But its other advantages should make up for it, at least I hope so!
    I tried out the Iphone 3G S and was a bit underwhelmed by its one handed operaton. It just struck me now that most people who use the Iphone have to use 2 hands.

To me that is really poor usability. I need to use the phone handed when say I might be carrying something or have some files with me.

I have a quite wide thumb and I dont find it any problem using my N95 with its standard keypad. But the Iphone after 15 minutes got me frustrated.

I like touchscreens but for true usability in ond hand you need buttons.

Think about it. A simple video extolling that would be clear.

So in regards to the Pre how good is that for one handed use?
    Last edited by no1smartphone; 06/20/2009 at 05:44 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i only use one hand... i can easily open and close all programs with my right thumb...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Sometimes my swipe up to close cards doesn't register because my thumb doesn't go to the top, but I was taking pictures of myself riding my bike the day with one hand.
    The Pre is very "one-handed" friendly. This is one of the main reasons they made the unit so small and went with a portrait slide-out keyboard instead of a landscape one. It's designed to be able to do almost everything with one hand. I love it.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    To me its pretty goof (haha). Not as good as my nokia e71, but good enough. Specially since the pre smokes the e71 in every way accept battery life.
    I was kind iffy about the keyboard, but I like it better than the keyboard on my old HTC Mogul (which in love with the keyboard, not the phone). Its so much easier to type with one hand instead of two. Its hard to use the iPhone in one hand because of the size, well at least for me, my BF has no problem dealing with that thing one handed. lol
    Kyocera 2345 -> Nokia 6225 -> Sanyo Katana -> Motorola Q -> HTC Mogul -> Palm Pre
    I used e71 and that is by far Nokia best handset, forget its N series which are clunky.

Whilst I was in the store I was watching other people using the Iphone and it was clear its two hands all the way.

But one thing you can't do with one hand (which is your thumb) is multi touch. I was unable to get all the way up using my thumb and was always hitting the menu buttons on the bottom.

How well balanced is the Pre when its opened?
    It's true that you can't do multitouch with one hand, but I don't think that's going to be possible on any phone. One handed use pretty much explicitly means that you can only use your thumb for control (since your other fingers are supporting the phone itself), so you can only touch one point on the screen at a time. For the times when you're limited to actually having to use only one hand though, you can probably get away with doing what you need to do without the need for any multitouch features.

It feels great when open. It's very well balanced, and the weight distribution in the phone is perfect for one-handed use whether the slider is open or closed.
    I love the Pre. I haven't made the jump yet. I am a heavy email and text user. The BB (I have a Curve 83xx) is great for that. Trackball, thumb, one handed excellent. Even Web stuff using Opera, while a lame user experience, works nicely with one handed, one-thumb navigation for about 50% of my uses... even light texting and emailing works OK with one hand.

I see the Pre as having a great Web experience and all of the other things that have made me a Pre fan...short of owning one, that is.

My question is in regard to the one handed use of it as a) a phone and b) as a web device, etc.

I am particularly curious to hear from former BB users who made the jump. BTW I was an early Treo user (going back to the 180!) and so gave up the Palm OS kicking and screaming when I went to the BB...its the little things.'

Curious of opinions. Thanks in advance...
    this is one thing that I was one thing that I was worried about switching from a BB to a Pre. The BB is so fast if you know all the shortcuts and little tricks, plus it is perfect for one handed uses.

To be honest, the pre does an excellent job at being able to be used one handed. The keyboard is great for typing one handed because the small keys make it easy for you to memorize where each one is. The short gestures are also nice when it comes to moving in and out of emails, or going to your websites. But you have to set the phone up to utilize these type of features.

The BB is the best I have used one handed but the pre does an excellent job for a touch screen phone IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by donald.aleshire View Post
    this is one thing that I was one thing that I was worried about switching from a BB to a Pre. The BB is so fast if you know all the shortcuts and little tricks, plus it is perfect for one handed uses.

To be honest, the pre does an excellent job at being able to be used one handed. The keyboard is great for typing one handed because the small keys make it easy for you to memorize where each one is. The short gestures are also nice when it comes to moving in and out of emails, or going to your websites. But you have to set the phone up to utilize these type of features.

The BB is the best I have used one handed but the pre does an excellent job for a touch screen phone IMO
    I agree, the pre is very capable one handed. Personally I prefer it over the bb. I feel dirty now any time I use the bb bold for work. The navigation on the bb once seemed so brilliant, now it feels like a bad joke. I can move around faster n the pre and the web just blows the bb away. Sometimes zooming in with the double tap is frustrating one handed, but it usually gets it right. I very rarely use two hands except when typing along post like this.

The only place I think the bb still wins is email. The pre email is too danged pokey and I hate the HUGE header at the top of every email
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    My only thing with one handed use of the Pre is that when texting one-handed, it feels a bit top heavy so it's different in your hand than a BB.

Overall though, one handed use is the best I've seen (Similar to the iPhone, but fundamentally different, if that makes any sense)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I've had a BB for the past 4 years, and have made the jump to the Pre. There were a lot of things I had to get used to when trying to wean myself off of the BB and giving the Pre a fair shot within the 30 day trial period. Using one hand was something I was entirely used to as well. To try and make it relevent, if you were using BB's for at least a few years, you'll remember the scroll wheel before the trackball. I would say that's about the equilvalent jump in learning/re-training curve. Instead of the trackball you've been given the touchscreen, which can be better and worse in many instances. Instead of your standard BB buttons, you've been given gestures, and a bunch of key combinations, just like the blackberry, cept you have to learn new ones.

My main problem was the loss of the menu key and then being able to scroll through the menus with the trackball. I almost memorized most applications and their menus and how many clicks down the options were and could do them without really looking at the phone. Getting used to tapping the top left corner, which is not always the easiest, (could either be me and fat thumbing it with one hand), especially with the slider open was something I'm still getting used to. Now I know a lot of people use 2 hands, but coming from the BB, I got really used to just using my thumb for everything. But many times I find myself clicking something by accident and am slowly getting better at it. In fact just getting used to holding the phone and not touching the screen by accident took a day or two, there were many times I would launch an app when trying to slide open the slider to dial a contact that wasn't on my speed dial.

Overall, the curve was pretty bulletproof, as most of my BB's before it. The gui was simple, everything just worked, using it as a phone was great. The Pre is a little slower, especially the phone functions, trying to hangup a call and dial a new person nearly made me throw it out the window the first week of using it. Also small things that I thought were just normal, like having a notification led when I got a new message or having different phone profiles to create etc... I really have a hard time with. Like I could do without the gui tricks like sliding and fading menus if they opened up faster and gave me leds for notifications. If they had that as an option, kind of like Windows XP vs 2K, where you can turn off the fancy stuff if you just want a menu to open, I'd enable it until they speed up certain apps. BUT in gaining a much better browsing experience, better integrated contacts and calendars, more storage space, cooler apps, and the possiblities down the road, I finally ported my number and kept the Pre. I'm not a person who has to have the latest and greatest, but I need a real keyboard, and email, internet and phone as I'm always travelling, this was the best device for me. If the BB had a better browser and more storage, I think I would've stuck with it. But knowing flash is coming, and seeing all the development happening right here on the forums is what kept me from going back. Hope this helps!
    What are you guys doing that you need to use your Pre 1 handed? Texting while driving? I've never felt the need to use my Pre 1 handed...
    ^^ Those of us who dont drive everywhere often value being able to text or email while walking from the subway or while out at the store.

To the point:

The Pre is significantly worse then the BB for one handed use. It isnt balanced properly for one thumb typing and requires you to adjust your grip constantly as you go from typing to scrolling on the screen. It lacks the keyboard shortcuts of the BB and as a touchscreen device it is inherently worse for using while mobile then a non touch screen device as the touch screen is susceptible to false input if you are jostled when using it.

The lack of 'one handibility' is something I have accepted since I value the Pre's better web browsing, better OS and (potentially) better apps. You will have to see if you feel the same way.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast