Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    ^^ Those of us who dont drive everywhere often value being able to text or email while walking from the subway or while out at the store.

To the point:

The Pre is significantly worse then the BB for one handed use. It isnt balanced properly for one thumb typing and requires you to adjust your grip constantly as you go from typing to scrolling on the screen. It lacks the keyboard shortcuts of the BB and as a touchscreen device it is inherently worse for using while mobile then a non touch screen device as the touch screen is susceptible to false input if you are jostled when using it.

The lack of 'one handibility' is something I have accepted since I value the Pre's better web browsing, better OS and (potentially) better apps. You will have to see if you feel the same way.
    +1

I too was a BB user (4 years) and made the jump to the Pre. In my opinion there is no comparison. The Blackberry is 1000X easier to use with one hand.

Personally, if I could do it again, I would have waited to get the Pre because there a lot of things that I expected it to be able to do that I took for granted with my BB. Hopefully these will all be remedied soon with future updates.

P.S. The browsing experience on the Pre blows the BB out of the water, so if you use the internet a lot, you won't be disappointed there.
    This is one of my top factors with a phone.

I have both the PRE and the TOUR 9630. I wish I had the PRE feature set in the TOUR form factor. The PRE is topheavy when using one handed.

I have another couple days to decide which one I want to keep, the TOUR has the advantage of a SIM card for international travel, form factor, customizable LED for notifications and battery life while the PRE has EAS support, much better browser and overall better OS.

You will need to hold the PRE and try typing one handed to see if it works for you, to me it is more difficult than a BB or Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLoyal View Post
    I have another couple days to decide which one I want to keep, .
    God that would be the easiest choice that I could ever make. Just open the web browser and fire up the WiFi and answer will be crystal clear.

Personally I dont have any trouble one handing my Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by forsethc View Post
    My only thing with one handed use of the Pre is that when texting one-handed, it feels a bit top heavy so it's different in your hand than a BB.

Overall though, one handed use is the best I've seen (Similar to the iPhone, but fundamentally different, if that makes any sense)
    Totally agree. With the slider open, the Pre feels awkward and top heavy for one handed typing/texting (unless, of course, you've got it mounted on a TS in your truck...), the BB was much easier.

With the slider closed for doing everything else, the Pre is VERY nice one-handed. Navigation is much better than on the BB with the stupid trackball.

But since the only time I ever care about texting with one hand is when driving, I'm kind of glad the Pre sux at that.

Seven Pounds...
    former BB 8830
    the 8830 does better with one handed typing but the over all experience is better on the pre. i would suggest reading more on this forum if you go for it you get one month to decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmLoyal View Post
    This is one of my top factors with a phone.

I have both the PRE and the TOUR 9630. I wish I had the PRE feature set in the TOUR form factor. The PRE is topheavy when using one handed.

I have another couple days to decide which one I want to keep, the TOUR has the advantage of a SIM card for international travel, form factor, customizable LED for notifications and battery life while the PRE has EAS support, much better browser and overall better OS.

You will need to hold the PRE and try typing one handed to see if it works for you, to me it is more difficult than a BB or Treo.
    That would be a tough choice.

Honestly, the more I use my Pre, the more I realize what it's missing compared to the BB.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I need to use two thumbs to type on the Pre. Im very fast with two thumbs, but find it very difficult trying to type with one hand at any speed. Perhaps am intelligent auto-correct system would help (or a virtual keyboard!!!!!)
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinFlaps View Post
    That would be a tough choice.

Honestly, the more I use my Pre, the more I realize what it's missing compared to the BB.
    Same here, but the web browser was worth a lot of it for me, along with a few other things. Like watching the constant development, knowing that there is a very good possibility that the things I'm missing will be implemented, I would've gone back. Also one thing that I do appreciate, is that I can actually make changes I want to the device. I could only do so much with my BB, although it's not like I needed to change a lot. I would still recommend the BB to most people. But for people that want to use the browser a lot I would recommend the Pre or iPhone. If you want a keyboard, then definitely the Pre. (that'd be me) That's the one thing I could definitely not give up after leaving the BB.
    What I have found is that there will never be a compromise between a touchscreen phone (iPhone, Pre) or a trackball phone like the BB. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you want to compare the two, you really have to look at how you most often use your phone. If you use the web a lot and like to have "fun" with your phone, then the iPhone or Pre is the device for you. If you do a lot of messaging, and want something that has a more familiar phone-like feel, then I think the BB is the phone for you.

Even though both arenas have made made steps towards blurring the lines between the two types of devices, at the end of the day, it's always going to be a matter of preference.
    What I have found is that there will never be a compromise between a touchscreen phone (iPhone, Pre) or a trackball phone like the BB. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

If you want to compare the two, you really have to look at how you most often use your phone. If you use the web a lot and like to have "fun" with your phone, then the iPhone or Pre is the device for you. If you do a lot of messaging, and want something that has a more familiar phone-like feel, then I think the BB is the phone for you.

Even though both arenas have made made steps towards blurring the lines between the two types of devices, at the end of the day, it's always going to be a matter of preference.
    I find myself in total agreement with this. I have been constantly back and forth between the 2 'camps'. When I was on GSM I was constantly bouncing between a blackberry and an iPhone as new models came out. Now, every time the Pre annoys me I have to stop myself from going out and buying a Tour.

I disagree. I think the Pre is the good compromise, its just not as easy to use with one hand as my old BB. With two hands, I'm much faster on the Pre.

It has neither the crappy onscreen keyboard that takes up screen real estate as on the iPhone, nor the small screen combined with crappy trackball interface of the BB.

The slider is the perfect compromise, IMO.
    I am glad that I asked this question and am appreciative of all of the responses. Now what I have to weigh it all. How important is the one-handed stuff to me....or am I simply trying to replicate a BB behavior on a new device?

It does seem to come down to email and texting (BB wins) to web and "other" stuff- OS, future apps, etc. (Pre wins).

One thing that pops into my mind is that the upcoming "Pixie", depending upon the real specs, might be a perfect combo for me. In the meantime I will go back to a store and try and see if I can use the Pre without one of those annoying anti-theft cables on it.

Thanks again for your responses...this is a great forum!
    Tryin to type one headed on th pre is terrible for me. The phone keep slidin down my hand (got the touchstone back) I have to keep readjusting my grip and while the keyboard is open and if you try to touch something at the top of the screen you got to move your hand up a little. But the web browser makes up for that
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    What are you guys doing that you need to use your Pre 1 handed? Texting while driving? I've never felt the need to use my Pre 1 handed...
    Holding my kid. I use my Pre when trying to get him to sleep or while he's sleeping. I love the phone because I can browse the web, read emails and text one handed, something that is much too difficult on a full PC. Since the browser is actually usable on the Pre, I visit this forum, facebook, news sites, etc instead of just staring into empty space.

The Pre felt a bit awkward one handed to me at first as well, but I've learned to adjust my hand in a way that makes it user friendly. The one thing I find myself missing from my Centro, of all devices, is the button that dropped down the menu. The only time I really feel annoyed with the Pre UI is hitting the upper left menu and sometimes getting the connection window open.
    I loved the one handed capability on my Treo 755. I have a Pre+ for a couple of weeks now and I have not felt the same capability. Sprint customers... is it a learning curve that will come with time or is it something I should forget about and get over?

Thanks.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    It comes with time, just gotta get comfortable with it.

on a side-note, im guessing one handed operation of the pre is gona get really popular when flash comes out ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Prizefyter View Post
    ..........on a side-note, im guessing one handed operation of the pre is gona get really popular when flash comes out ;p
    That's a good one .
    Quote Originally Posted by Prizefyter View Post
    It comes with time, just gotta get comfortable with it.

on a side-note, im guessing one handed operation of the pre is gona get really popular when flash comes out ;p
    I just chuckled and my coworkers wondered why I didnt stop for 2 min!

I, too, had to get used to the Pre (Sprint) but most things you can do one handed. Its the zoomin in and out that gets me. But I do have bigger hands, which means I can hold the device and still tap the top menus with just one hand (even with the slider exposed). You'll get the hang of it...when you re not afraid to drop it!
    It took me a while to get used to doing a 1 handed task on it. Husband still having problems with using it 1 handed.
    I always use one hand. It just feels so comfortable and relaxed in my palm.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast