1.    #1  
    I wonder if the PRE will be easy to change/hack files like the 800w & 755p. Well Modify to change some settings to each owners desire...
    Anything can be hacked. All you need is time and brains.
    Yes. I know I plan on doing lots of tinkering once I get my hands on mine.
    The Pre is Linux based, so once somebody manages to get into it, hacking should be a piece of cake.

The problem will probably actually getting into the system. I don't see Palm providing much - if any - access to the partition where the OS will be stored.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  5.    #5  
    That's all needed to know, a hacking I will do
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    The Pre is Linux based, so once somebody manages to get into it, hacking should be a piece of cake.

The problem will probably actually getting into the system. I don't see Palm providing much - if any - access to the partition where the OS will be stored.
    The OTA updates have to have access to something....???
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    The OTA updates have to have access to something....???
    I don't think he is saying its read only, just that palm isn't going to volunteer access. Ultimately it really doesn't matter as there are always ways to find access to the kernel. Especially with so many launch partners that do have deeper system access it is only a matter of time before a back door is exploited.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Nothing is ever 100% secure. If there is a demand for it to be cracked or hacked then it will be. And using that beastly processor i think that there will be some great emulation possibilities.
    Can't wait for custom ROMs, kitchens, and jailbreaking
    I think once there is a hack or a jailbreak that Palm will push an update OTA rather quickly I could be wrong
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissurra View Post
    I think once there is a hack or a jailbreak that Palm will push an update OTA rather quickly I could be wrong
    Yes. That's why there's going to be a hack to disable / selectively-enable OTA updates.
    I fully expect a pretty good functioning Android on the Pre by years end.

Not that you'd want to regress...
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I fully expect a pretty good functioning Android on the Pre by years end.

Not that you'd want to regress...
    Why would you trade one linux mobile system for the lesser? Just because you can?...
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Why would you trade one linux mobile system for the lesser? Just because you can?...
    I wouldn't mind dual booting for access to the android appstore.
    I haven't searched for this (mea culpa), but I wonder what Linux kernel is in use in Web OS and in Android. If it were the same, it would be cool to run both of them.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I haven't searched for this (mea culpa), but I wonder what Linux kernel is in use in Web OS and in Android. If it were the same, it would be cool to run both of them.
    You may have just hit the nail on the head! I wonder if Palm is about to announce compatibility with all Java based apps?