1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about getting a Pre on June 6. But, the question I have is how do I transfer my contacts from an ATT GSM phone to the Pre. The phone I have is a plain Nokia 2610 non-smartphone. If the Pre was a a GSM phone I would just transfer all my contact to the SIM card and place the SIM card in my new phone but, you can not do that with the Pre.

Does the Sprint store have some kind of way to get contacts off a non-smart GSM phone and place them on the Pre. Or am I going to need to type all my contacts in Google and sync went I get the Pre.
    I'm guessing: manual entry.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Are your contacts stored/accessible via some AT&T website for you to export them to a .csv file? That would be the way to go. Import the contacts from .csv to gmail and sync them through the Gmail.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    Are your contacts stored/accessible via some AT&T website for you to export them to a .csv file? That would be the way to go. Import the contacts from .csv to gmail and sync them through the Gmail.
    Not that I know of but I'm going to check that out
    just an idea if all else fails - borrow a friend's at&t treo or centro remove their SIM card and pop yours in and sync to palm desktop (PD) then remove your sim card and return the centro/treo to friend.

then use palm transfer tool for PD to Pre.

in the meantime download free PD to play with -

Palm Desktop: all versions
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macintoshse View Post
    Does the Sprint store have some kind of way to get contacts off a non-smart GSM phone and place them on the Pre. Or am I going to need to type all my contacts in Google and sync went I get the Pre.
    Side note: my inner grammarian feels obliged to point this out--if you're going to phrase things as questions (like the above), end them with question marks! Otherwise it's like you're speaking and your voice just trails off.............. not a good thing.

Ok, off the grammatical soapbox.

Most--though not all--phone stores, regardless of carrier, do have a machine called a Cellebrite. It's a boxy grey thing with USB and Ethernet ports on the left and right sides and a whole lot of numbered cables. From a menu, you choose the two models of phones you want and it tells you which cables to use. Usually you plug the old phone in on the left, the new one on the right, and tell it to transfer. Sometimes, though, it tells you to transfer via IR if it doesn't have a cable for that phone.

Whether your Nokia phone is compatible depends on which ports it has on its base. If it just has a round hole for a headset and a different-size round hole for power, you're out of luck. If it has anything else instead (harder to describe in detail), your chances are good--so far.

I say "so far" because since the Pre is brand-new, we don't know if it's in Cellebrite's system yet. We know the Pre can't use IR because there's no IR port. (I haven't used/more-than-glanced-at one of these machines for a few years, so if there's a new model with Bluetooth, it's news to me.) That said, it may be that if you plug in a microUSB cable, it works like a charm.

My advice: ask and see. It can't hurt.
  7. joelpalm
    If the nokia has web ability use google sync. its what i did. It looks like you have a wap browser on there, so I think you would be able to use it. Maybe not, haven't had a dumbphone for quite a while.
    Doesn't Sprint have a tool that can do this in store?
    Maybe someone else will get a laugh from this. I was about to suggest that you save them to your SIM card .
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Doesn't Sprint have a tool that can do this in store?
    Yes they do but I don't know if they will do it from a GSM phone. They might.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  11. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I wonder: do the fine salesman at the Sprint store have a SIM card reader? If so, they can just pull the contacts directly from that and port them to the Pre.