Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    @d94: BoyGeniusReport says of the Pre "thereís a real plasticky aura about it." Would you agree with that assessment?

He also says "When you try and type on the top row of keys, your finger hits the bottom part of the front piece and on top of that, you often hit multiple keys at the same time while typing. Itís actually really frustrating and doesnít bode well..."

What are your thoughts on these statements?
    Someone asked earlier, but I did not notice a reply: I'd also like to know about the speed in which the Pre's internal GPS gets a satellite lock.
  3. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preman2be913 View Post
    d94 you are the MAN! Thanks for all your patience with answering our questions. Glad you are enjoying your time with the Pre bro! I actually had one question...

How do the gestures feel? Does it lag at all or is it immediate?
    np man, glad to shine some light!
    the gestures feel great, no lag whatsoever

Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    In the Pre-FactSheet pdf that was found today there was mention of an advanced calculator. Maybe there is a setting in the calculator app somewhere.

This is what it says:

Calculator (basic/advanced)
    just checked again, sorry bro there is no option to change to another calc

Quote Originally Posted by vutha View Post
    Hows the speaker volume??
    very good actually! now that iv had a little time with the phone
    id say its louder than the touch pro's speaker - the only thing i dont like is that its on the back of the phone vs the bottom, but its not a big deal. its very clear and when it rings its super nice and loud

Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    Can we get a update on the low memory issue? Did a reset help it and has it occurred again?
    after i reset the phone no more problems so far

Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    did you have to put on newer plan or can it work on older plan with data?
    Is the call log like old Palm OS where it can store calls for like up to a year?

as far as text can you please tel me if your able to send a single text to unlimited amount of people like on old palms and other phones and not limited to 10-50 people? also in this respect in your contacts do you have a check and you can add that way or have to keep going back over n over like in most OS's?
    its not activated on a consumer plan so i couldnt tell you
    im not sure how far the call log goes back as iv only had the phone for a day
    im not sure what the limit is but i sent a mass text to about 15 people yesterday, however i did have to add them one by one

Quote Originally Posted by crossover37 View Post
    do flash websites work like shockwave.com?
    nope..thou that would rock

Quote Originally Posted by banmebatch View Post
    can u please check if it plays divx/xvid .avi files, or stream them off your computer
    nope..tried about 4-5 diff avi/divx only 3 mp4's only 1 out of the 3 mp4's played and non of the divx/avi files. i see this as only a temp setback as im sure there will be 3rd party apps that will support other formats

Quote Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
    d94, dude you rock!

have you found not having a virtual keyboard (eg in landscape mode) annoying at all?
    thanks bro
    its a little bit anooying browsing in landscape mode and not having a virtual keyboard but i think ill get used to it or a 3rd party app will come out

Quote Originally Posted by TymonFlak View Post
    Firstly: Thanks for putting up with all our questions D94.

I can't post links, which makes this request hard to do, but what I'm curious about is support for HTML5, namely, the <canvas> tag. There are some demo pages that use this tag, I even made one myself, but I can't send the link.

for example, google "html5 canvas demo" and try out some of those links that look like games...

Curious to know if it fails or actually renders. There is a pretty neat 3D function plotter using this that I just found...

If the *browser* can do html5 <canvas>, then any card can, since they are all browsers!
    looks like its working!! although i cant control the games because there are no arrow keys on the pre

Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    are there options to set up VPN connection in the connection settings?
    nope, just to configure the wifi and bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by RTSFirebat View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for answering all these questions

But I really hope you can answer mine:

What is the voice dialing on the Pre like? Does is it record your own voice dialing tags, or voice recognition like Blackberrys?

I'm hoping its not voice recognition as my Blackberry Pearl is completely useless, and never understands the command "Call Laura" or "Call Dad" (Half the time).
    no problem!
    however i have yet to figure out how to voicedial lol

Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Question about text messaging -- does the Pre have automatic continuation for text messages larger than 160 characters?

I hope so!
    yep it doesnt even warn you when you go over 160 character

Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just got through reading this. Lots of answers here

Anyways, he mentioned he just put gmail in and it grabbed 3000 contacts..which btw is complete crap (and why i'm not cheering the folks on who want google this and google that). And only then did he notice the popup at having 9 cards open. Have to remember that the phone is constantly updating, checking those contacts, etc..or synergy. i don't know about you, but while i have a lot of contacts, its not 3000.

But if i were him, i'd delete the gmail account and see if that's the fix for the memory popup.

Even so, i'd expect stuff like this to be ironed out later.
    after getting more time to play with the phone i came to the realization that those contacts do not show up in my contact book when im in the phone app. that may be because no one in my gmail contacts has a phone listed. however the 3000 do come up when i send emails as all my contacts in gmail were associated with email addys!

Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Could you check to see what version of the OS you are running on that Pre?

Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Sorry, but I'm confused. Can you or can you not download, via the 3G connection (not wifi) download a song on the Pre from Amazon Music Store? I know what the manual says (you can't via 3G) but it seems like you say you can.

Please clarify this. Thanks.
    you can indeed download via the 3g connection a song onto the pre from the music store. but if you just find an mp3 online or something of that sort the phone will stream it
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Dude, you rock. Excellent work answering all the questions, your patience level is definitely above and beyond mine. I'm psyched for this phone, and you're only helping that cause. Excellent news to read you can download a song directly from the store over 3g, didn't think that would work, but great news nonetheless.

Thanks for your hardwork, keep it up.

My only request is more info on the GPS/nav/turn-by-turn directions, to see how those work. Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I like the sound of the d/l of music over 3G... I just hope its not something that they havent switched off yet...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    how is the battery life on the pre. Thanks
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    That threaded answer of the questions was awesome. Keep the info coming. This is really helpful.
    thanks a bunch for your help!
    Can you comment on the GPS functionality? Does it take forever to catch a signal to the satelite?
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    so looking at the users guide on page 217 it states

"You cannot create meeting invitations on your phone"

Can you test this? I find it very hard to believe that this is true, if it is I am sure it will be a BIG issue for a lot of people!

Thanks for all your help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtayler View Post
    so looking at the users guide on page 217 it states

"You cannot create meeting invitations on your phone"

Can you test this? I find it very hard to believe that this is true, if it is I am sure it will be a BIG issue for a lot of people!

Thanks for all your help!!
    Are you kidding me? For most people, a meeting invitation is not a make or break feature...
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    Are you kidding me? For most people, a meeting invitation is not a make or break feature...
    ummmmm my bad, but isn't this supposed to be able to be used as a corporate device? OK so you want to schedule a meeting while your out on the road traveling..... you need to wait until you get back to your hotel fire up the laptop to schedule your meeting!

A pretty simple feature that the phone should have
    It should have it. That's one thing that annoys me about my iPhone, but it's not a deal breaker for me.
    Is it such an issue to send an email to someone who can make a meeting appointment? It will show up on your own device in about 5 minutes or you manually sync before then. Or just create the meeting on your calendar and have it synced to your work/shared calendar. Others will see it.

I wouldn't consider the lack of sending a reminder to meeting attendees a "BIG issue". Just my opinion.
  14. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    hey d94, just wondering if you can save files of the internet with the browser like pictures or mp3.
    nope, you cant you can only view or stream =/

Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Hey d94,

Could you try the following on the Pre?
    1. Could you test the following sites and see if video streams right from the web browser?
    Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
    inFamous commercial lights up your TV

2. If you wanna search for the closest Starbucks or walgreens, will it automatically give you the closest ones around you or you need to type your location?

3. Can you try to tune to an AAC+ radio station here and play music in the background while you browse a different site on a different card and while you are using the GPS system?
    Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Thousands of Free Online Radio Stations
    Also, is there any way to bookmark these radio stations?
    I like to stream music while driving and using the GPS system too.

4.Can you go to bank account sites, log in and view your account? Is it slow? I have:
    Bank of America
    American Express
    Chase

5. Can you go to? YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and use it just the same way as you use it from a computer? Log in, search, sort by date, view videos, leave comments.

6. Can you IRC from mibbit? This would be AWESOME!! if it worked.
    Mibbit.com - Easy and fast Webchat

7. Can you add an AOL email account to the email application? AOL email is free and supports push idle. Can you check if idle works with AOL?

8. Does email with HTML shows pictures in the email? or is it just plain text only for email?

Thanks man!
    1. didnt work, said i needed to update my flash which i cant!

2. if i type in starbucks it just gives me the option to search google however if i type in my zip after what im searching for google will find it.

3. i cant seem to stream the radio as the flash isnt working

4. i can only check chase and it works just fine

5. for youtube theres a special app that comes with the phone

6. no as the flash isnt working

7. yep works just fine!

8. html indeed and oh it does look awsome on the pre

Quote Originally Posted by AllWires View Post
    Hey d94,

Thanks for all your info! I have a windows mobile smartphone phone (the "lite" version of windows mobile) and it always bothered me that I can not just download something - the phone has to download AND RUN it. I can't just do save as.

From what it sounds, the pre does the same thing (when you talked about streaming instead of downloading the palmcast). You can't JUST download, but you have to download AND RUN instead, otherwise it wont let you download. The reason I ask is because there have been lots of times that I wanted to download something on my phone and then transfer it to my computer later.

As a side note, does the pre have a file browser?

-Thanks!

right except it doesnt even ask it just starts streaming. and it does not come with a file browser

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Yes, please answer his question on Gmail.
    yep you can push on gmail just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    Did you get a chance to look at the Telenav issue?
    telenav is just like any other card it only closes when you close it

Quote Originally Posted by arw4f View Post
    Is there a way to toggle just EVDO off in the connection/data manager menu?

You said it was a very good interface - curious about that one bit (I have EVDO coverage, but it's really bad and I have to fall back to 1xRTT sometimes).
    Thanks for all the great info!
    nope but once you connect to wifi it uses the wifi over the evdo

Quote Originally Posted by suruat View Post
    The HTC touch Pro camara is pretty decent, how is the pre's camara compare to that of the pro

Thanks
    the camera on the pre is BETTER THAN ANY cdma PHONE IV YET TO USE!
    it does great in the dark, during the day, in dim weather

i took this shot on my way to work this morning going 60mph, no flash with rainy weather:
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Sure I guess I could also call everyone individually on my wireline phone and ask them to put a post-it on their monitor with the meeting date and time also.

I think if you are able to accept/decline a meeting from the phone, you should be able to create them as well.

just my opinion
    Sure I guess I could also call everyone individually on my wireline phone and ask them to put a post-it on their monitor with the meeting date and time also.

I think if you are able to accept/decline a meeting from the phone, you should be able to create them as well.

just my opinion
    I agree with you, but don't get you're blood boiling over this.
    Very nice picture quality!

I have one more question, in the Amazon store, will they let you listen to a sample of a song or do you only have the option to buy?
    ummmmm my bad, but isn't this supposed to be able to be used as a corporate device?
    Actually, no it's not. Sprint says that if you're an IT Centric Business User, you're the wrong customer for the Pre. You should buy the Treo Pro. Not that I don't agree that the meeting limitation is a PITA.
  19. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jameskk View Post
    it doesn't look as if you can change the notification sounds... if that's the case, what sound does it make when you get an email and or IM or txt? I hate the sounds the iPhone makes and it also doesn't allow you to have a custom sound.
    thats correct i have yet to find how to change them, if its even possible

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    @d94: BoyGeniusReport says of the Pre "there’s a real plasticky aura about it." Would you agree with that assessment?

He also says "When you try and type on the top row of keys, your finger hits the bottom part of the front piece and on top of that, you often hit multiple keys at the same time while typing. It’s actually really frustrating and doesn’t bode well..."

What are your thoughts on these statements?

the phone is just so rounded and shiny as hell id say theres certainly a plasticky aura about it, but i dont look at this as a negative..it feels very nice in your hand. regarding the keys, i have good sized hands - im 5 11" 200lb and i have no problems typing on it

Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    Someone asked earlier, but I did not notice a reply: I'd also like to know about the speed in which the Pre's internal GPS gets a satellite lock.
    the gps locks amazingly quick, after i put in a destination address it takes seconds for the directions to pop up

earlier i replied in a post that you cant find places close to you directly in the phone. but once your in the telenav app and you search for anything it takes seconds for the results to pop up in order of distance! then once you pick a destination it takes seconds for the pre to route your trip! and it does have voice guidence

Quote Originally Posted by jamiespeck View Post
    how is the battery life on the pre. Thanks
    so far so good, i left home @ 10am with batter @ 100% percent. after making a few calls and playing with the phone all day pretty much its at 70% 8 hours later!

I also had a chance to take a comparison pic with a few phones you guys may be familiar with so you can really get an idea of the size of the pre
    (Sorry for the crappy quality, i cant find my camera atm and this pic was taken with a centro)

i also took a ton of 8MP shots this morning with the pre and my touch pro that ill upload later tonite ~ i also made a short video to show how smooth the pre is and i play the default ringer of the pre
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    I agree with you, but don't get you're blood boiling over this.
    no blood boiling here, and I am not saying it is a show stopper for me either, I just think its a little silly not to have it. There are always work arounds but wouldn't it be better to NOT have to work around

Heck, with the kick @ss browser on the PRE I can just go straight to my google calendar and schedule a meeting
    Last edited by jtayler; 05/28/2009 at 05:24 PM.