Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    We don't know what he had open, the issue could be simply that he had many really complicated web pages open at the same time or there could be a MEMORY LEAK and the device is not releasing RAM properly.

The first is expected, the second could be a sign of a serious issue. We won't know until we get more information.
    Firstly: Thanks for putting up with all our questions D94.

I can't post links, which makes this request hard to do, but what I'm curious about is support for HTML5, namely, the <canvas> tag. There are some demo pages that use this tag, I even made one myself, but I can't send the link.

for example, google "html5 canvas demo" and try out some of those links that look like games...

Curious to know if it fails or actually renders. There is a pretty neat 3D function plotter using this that I just found...

If the *browser* can do html5 <canvas>, then any card can, since they are all browsers!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    That page says that modern flash is random access, in which case RAM would technically be an ambiguous term, which is why I was asking the question.

Is there a better term for the RAM that a processor runs from rather than stores to?
    Technically, RAM may be an ambiguous term, but in every day use, it's pretty standard (if you get technical ROM hasn't been "read only memory" for some time either).

RAM is the volatile temporary storage area for programs that are running.
    ROM is the non-volatile storage area for the portion of the system that seldom changes
    Flash is non-volatile storage area for files (the IC version of disk storage).
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Yeah - d94, you do rock. Thanks for sharing and please keep sharing. Anything to get us over this week.

Must say that I am SUPER disappointed that files can't be saved to that USB storage. Yes, I know you have the super fast network, but people don't really think beyond their own situations sometimes. There are many times when those of us who commute decide to pull down info and reference later... such as a podcast... (Man, there has to be a way...)

I can tell I'm not alone because I saw mention of another good question: When you have a card open with a webpage and open another card with, let's say, contacts... then push the power button to put the display to sleep... when you wake the phone and go back to the browser content, does it try to reload. That makes me so angry. I load stuff for my train commute and then God forbid I do something else.... the page reloads. Then I have nothing.
    are there options to set up VPN connection in the connection settings?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi,

Thanks for answering all these questions

But I really hope you can answer mine:

What is the voice dialing on the Pre like? Does is it record your own voice dialing tags, or voice recognition like Blackberrys?

I'm hoping its not voice recognition as my Blackberry Pearl is completely useless, and never understands the command "Call Laura" or "Call Dad" (Half the time).
    Question about text messaging -- does the Pre have automatic continuation for text messages larger than 160 characters?

I hope so!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    If I had to guess I'd say that Palm hasn't deployed the final OTA update, that's just my guess though
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    How well does the dang phone vibrate???. Never heard anyone ask about that!!
    Hey IGoDwnTwn34 I don't think you have to worry too much about that.
    Just got through reading this. Lots of answers here

Anyways, he mentioned he just put gmail in and it grabbed 3000 contacts..which btw is complete crap (and why i'm not cheering the folks on who want google this and google that). And only then did he notice the popup at having 9 cards open. Have to remember that the phone is constantly updating, checking those contacts, etc..or synergy. i don't know about you, but while i have a lot of contacts, its not 3000.

But if i were him, i'd delete the gmail account and see if that's the fix for the memory popup.

Even so, i'd expect stuff like this to be ironed out later.
    1. can you please answer my question on PUSH IMAP Gmail?

2. for those asking about an alarm - wouldn't this be cool - and Alarm where you could set an mp3 OR STREAMING RADIO to play to wake you??? can any phone do this now?
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Could you check to see what version of the OS you are running on that Pre?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    thats correct but i was answering a different question regarding mp3's wma's or live radio hosted online
    Sorry, but I'm confused. Can you or can you not download, via the 3G connection (not wifi) download a song on the Pre from Amazon Music Store? I know what the manual says (you can't via 3G) but it seems like you say you can.

Please clarify this. Thanks.
    hey d94, just wondering if you can save files of the internet with the browser like pictures or mp3.
    Many confuse 'storage' or 'disk space' with RAM. There is 8GB of storage, not 'RAM'. I saw an article recently that mentions about 10-12 'cards' (programs) can be running at once. That would use up RAM, not storage.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Many confuse 'storage' or 'disk space' with RAM. There is 8GB of storage, not 'RAM'. I saw an article recently that mentions about 10-12 'cards' (programs) can be running at once. That would use up RAM, not storage.
    Yes and no. That means those programs themselves would also require storage also!
    I'm wondering what "Classic" is going to be like using it on the Pre. Hopefully Palm will begin putting apps in the app catalog and D94 can check 'em out.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Programs are stored to 'disk' but run in 'memory' or RAM. There is not 8GB of RAM, there is about 8GB of storage.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Programs are stored to 'disk' but run in 'memory' or RAM. There is not 8GB of RAM, there is about 8GB of storage.
    Agree.
    1. Will it play WMV files?
    2. How does the battery life compare to the Blackberry battery life? Can you go all day with one charge sending/receiving lots of email and talking for an hour or two?

Thanks for the great info,

Roger