Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You do realize that the kind of memory he's talking about is entirely different from your flash memory that you store things in, right?
    Ah, no, thanks. So you think the pre is reporting low run-time memory (the analogue of RAM)? It makes more sense that a few memory-hog apps could use that up quickly. But that would imply no disk cache to flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtlapp View Post
    Ah, no, thanks. So you think the pre is reporting low run-time memory (the analogue of RAM)? It makes more sense that a few memory-hog apps could use that up quickly. But that would imply no disk cache to flash.
    That's my impression, yes. There's rumored to be 256MB of RAM, but we still don't know for sure. Much more reasonable that could fill up than 7GB, though it still sucks a little.
    Darn i guess you went to bed. My biggest concern is BATTERY LIFE and SPEAKER PHONE. When your up can you give us an idea on the two items please???
    Over 13,000 views in just over 6 hours.

You gotta love it!
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    That's my impression, yes. There's rumored to be 256MB of RAM, but we still don't know for sure. Much more reasonable that could fill up than 7GB, though it still sucks a little.
    Just to help me with terminology, flash isn't RAM? Or is it random-access memory that is by convention never abbreviated RAM?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Alright... that brings up a good question. What is the amount of ram on this phone. Can you take a look at the device info?

Free ram after reset, management of ram, proc speed, etc.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    chinese works just fine out of the box
    Thanks for confirming it.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Just to help me with terminology, flash isn't RAM? Or is it random-access memory that is by convention never abbreviated RAM?
    Flash memory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The disk is the 8gb. It probably does cache, but the memory error is basically saying that if you keep doing what you are doing you will notice performance loss. It's not saying that the phone is about to blow up or your programs will crash.

Quote Originally Posted by rijc99 View Post
    Alright... that brings up a good question. What is the amount of ram on this phone. Can you take a look at the device info?

Free ram after reset, management of ram, proc speed, etc.
    It's been confirmed to be 256 megs for some time now.

Since you can open multiple web pages on the pre, it could fill up to 256 relatively fast with 4-6 of the right pages. Try it on your computer while you look at task manager.
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    That page says that modern flash is random access, in which case RAM would technically be an ambiguous term, which is why I was asking the question.

Is there a better term for the RAM that a processor runs from rather than stores to?
    did you have to put on newer plan or can it work on older plan with data?
    Is the call log like old Palm OS where it can store calls for like up to a year?

as far as text can you please tel me if your able to send a single text to unlimited amount of people like on old palms and other phones and not limited to 10-50 people? also in this respect in your contacts do you have a check and you can add that way or have to keep going back over n over like in most OS's?
    Is there a better term for the RAM that a processor runs from rather than stores to?
    Volatile RAM. Or, dynamic RAM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    do flash websites work like shockwave.com?
    Quote Originally Posted by crossover37 View Post
    do flash websites work like shockwave.com?
    Nope. If it did, it would be the biggest story on the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    It's not a set number of cards. Each card takes up different amounts of memory. If you had several web pages open I'd expect it to run out of memory fast.
    Based on past information, I would be expecting it to cope with several dozen. Not that I anticpate wanting to use that many, but I certainly don't want to be worrying about whether I have enough memory to open a third or fourth card.
    Last edited by johncc; 05/28/2009 at 12:38 AM. Reason: added 2nd sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Based on past information, I would be expecting it to cope with several dozen.
    From where?

Open up task manager. Then start opening up web pages in your browser, especially those javascript heavy. Multiple windows. Watch how fast the memory climbs up.

Why would it be any different on a phone which renders the websites like a desktop?
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Open up task manager. Then start opening up web pages in your browser, especially those javascript heavy. Multiple windows. Watch how fast the memory climbs up.

Why would it be any different on a phone which renders the websites like a desktop?
    The browser is probably cashing the actual bitmap renderings so you don't have to wait for the page to be redrawn when you change tabs or windows. The Pre screen is much smaller, so less memory will be used for this. Seems to me that caching large screens could eat a lot of memory fast.

I'm just guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ellianth View Post
    When was the last time the 'alarm' (I use that word lightly, cuz it's more of a notification) from a calendar on any of your phones/pda even remotely loud enough or similar enough in behavior to a real alarm, to replace an actual alarm clock? Having my phone go "b-ding" once every 5 minutes until it gives up on me is not enough to replace having my phone go "bzzt bzzt bzzt" until I shut it up.
    My wife has an alarm on her Centro. She has to get up earlier than I, so I have my own alarm clock. The Centro wakes her up. It wakes me up too, and I'm a heavy sleeper.

Obviously, YMMV
    Obviously different pages are going to have different amounts of content, and thus consume different amounts of RAM. It probably has nothing to do with him having 13 or so cards open before and only being able to get 9 or so open now, unless they're the same exact cards.

If you really want a good test, open as many of the same page you can (I like to use Newspond because it has some fancy AJAX code, complicated CSS, and renders wrong on all but the newest browsers), close em, wait an hour, open them all again, and see if you can open the same number. Either that, or leave them open. Either way, I doubt Palm would let something as blatant as a huge memory leak in the browser fly...

Also, the 8 GB is Flash ROM, the 256 MB is what we should colloquially refer to as RAM. I think a lot of people are confused because of how RAM and storage RAM were the same thing physically back in the day but aren't the same at all anymore in modern smartphones/handheld devices. The 8 GB is purely storage and is nonvolatile. The 256 MB of RAM is just that, volatile RAM, and this is what launching stuff like the browser is going to eat up.

Couple other questions for the OP:
    • Could you go see if the phone passes the Acid2 or Acid3 tests? Please post results if you can do either of those.
    • Can you verify in some way that the browser cards are all live apps the whole time? Like launch something with an animated gif in each of them and see if they all still run?
    • Does the Pre have a filesystem of some kind? Is there an apparent way to browse to what directory you want to play music from or view pictures from? Is there any sort of file manager or file explorer? Even something for viewing how much RAM/ROM you have free?
    • Try opening a PDF, does it open in the browser or in a separate app. Have you tried any other documents?
    d94, dude you rock!

have you found not having a virtual keyboard (eg in landscape mode) annoying at all?
    Last edited by willpooted; 05/28/2009 at 01:22 AM.