1.    #1  
    After reading that article about only having 150000 phones available at launch due to production difficulties, is anyone concerned that those production difficulties will lead to a less reliable Pre? When i read that the hand check the phones individually instead of letting it run through an automated process, and that the problem area is a processor and the screen... well...I don't know, that scares me a bit. I am still buying one, but I am glad I have the protection plan!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    After reading that article about only having 150000 phones available at launch due to production difficulties, is anyone concerned that those production difficulties will lead to a less reliable Pre? When i read that the hand check the phones individually instead of letting it run through an automated process, and that the problem area is a processor and the screen... well...I don't know, that scares me a bit. I am still buying one, but I am glad I have the protection plan!
    If that article came from someone other than Kumar, possibly.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    If I were paying $199 for the Pre, I'd say, "Nah." I mean, in a year (and that's what I'm assuming the warranty is) I'll easily get $199 worth of payback. Given that I'll be paying $549 for the Pre, I say, "Pretty much, nah." I'll _still_ be getting my money's worth in terms of payback, at least if I stay productive and the Pre can help me be even more productive.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    not really manny. the only reason i think this way is bc of the complexity of the how the pre is put together according to sprint and for the fact that it is an "exchange only" phone and sprint won't even ATTEMPT to repair them if they break. from what i've heard so far, i think it's put together pretty solidly.
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
  5.    #5  
    I don't like what this Kumar guy is writing. Hope it's a solid device!
    I will have it in cases + an invisible shield so I am not concerned.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    It looks like Total Equipment Protection will be the way to go for me.
    No.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Im not concerned. Hardware problems during production especially during the first run are quite common. I just hope its not as bad as the Xbox 360's first run. But like any good company Id expect them to fix and or replace any defective models. That said I will have insurance on my phone. The only part Im really concerned with is the screen. My iphone fanboy friends are absolutely convinced the plastic screen WILL scratch no matter how careful I am.

Thanks for the link to the screen protectors emusician.
    Last edited by Mikest; 05/27/2009 at 09:08 PM.
    I think the difficulties were due to them holding out on production until the very last minute. So not really.
    Not concerned..
    I can wait for rev B hardware.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    It actually makes me feel better that it was hand checked rather than checked by a machine.
    My concern is not with hardware reliability. All my old Treo phones were solid bricks, well made and long lasting. My concern would be that Palm will do something foolish like scrimp on the internal memory available for the OS and give us a device that freezes and crashes. I seem to recall that happening in the past just a bit.

What heartens me is that the new WebOS ain't Garnett! It's not a "patch on a turd" that Garnett had become, it's a whole new beginning. And the internal memory FINALLY looks adequate for the device. And with early testers reporting 15 to 20 open apps at once before failure, my fears are allayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    My concern is not with hardware reliability. All my old Treo phones were solid bricks, well made and long lasting.
    I'm hoping the Pre is able to live up to the physical aspets of the Treos as well. I drop mine way too often.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products