Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Whatever the reason, it is a valid complaint since competitors can do it.

Shouldn't be a deal breaker but still a valid complaint. Gotta love how some people can't handle anything negative about the phone. I don't think people are saying it is a deal breaker just that its stupid to not include basic functions that other phones already allow.

Sort of like if we can't download apps to the phone and install them over 3g. Other phones can figure out how to do it, so should Palm.
    You're not reading. Palm doesn't own the Sprint 3G Network, which is the area of issue. This has to do with Sprint and Amazon being able to pay for and provide distribution licenses for all of this content for Sprint's network.

But since you think "competitors" can do this and "Palm" can't, please name for me the many other devices with the Amazon MP3 store onboard that Palm and Sprint are failing to match.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You're not reading. Palm doesn't own the Sprint 3G Network, which is the area of issue. This has to do with Sprint and Amazon being able to pay for and provide distribution licenses for all of this content for Sprint's network.

But since you think "competitors" can do this and "Palm" can't, please name for me the many other devices with the Amazon MP3 store onboard that Palm and Sprint are failing to match.

Itunes managed to do it, Amazon and Sprint should be able to as well. Same for the application downloads.

End of story.
    Itunes managed to do it, Amazon and Sprint should be able to as well. Same for the application downloads.

End of story.
    How much longer has itunes been out than Amazon music?

He asked how many phones can download directly from Amazon currently. Not if it should.

End of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    How much longer has itunes been out than Amazon music?

He asked how many phones can download directly from Amazon currently. Not if it should.

End of story.
    I really could care less. Like I said its not a big deal but acting like it wouldn't be a nice feature just shows how ridiculously closed minded some Palm Fanbois are.

Seriously, you mean to tell me that it wouldn't be nice to be able to download MP3's over 3g?

Do you honestly feel that it is such a huge thing to ask since other providers such as Itunes already offer the ability to do so on a network that we all criticize for being closed and limited?

So let me get this straight, we shouldn't discuss changes that would improve the capabilities of the device?

For all the people that act like whiny 12 year olds screaming about something there are just as many abstinent fanbois that will argue over nothing when all most of us want to do is to imrpove things.

End of story.
    I.....wow.

Let's start with the basics.

Application downloads are possible due to each publisher of each app giving an individual license for their product to be sold.

Music is a wee bit more complicated. There are a LOT of copyright holders who must be compensated when a given piece of music is distributed. And they don't give out a general "online" license for any digital version of a song. That is why Amazon does not have the exact same catalog as Apple does and Sprint doesn't have the same as either of them.

Each online distributor has to acquire license from all of the music licensees THEN it can only be sold under specific conditions. Thus, Apple can't just decide to open brick and mortar record stores to sell iTunes tracks in when they feel like it.

Cutting to the chase, there is only one Amazon MP3 store on a device, and as they are distributing their content over a new channel (The Sprint 3G network)...
    I.....wow.

Let's start with the basics.

Application downloads are possible due to each publisher of each app giving an individual license for their product to be sold.

Music is a wee bit more complicated. There are a LOT of copyright holders who must be compensated when a given piece of music is distributed. And they don't give out a general "online" license for any digital version of a song. That is why Amazon does not have the exact same catalog as Apple does and Sprint doesn't have the same as either of them.

Each online distributor has to acquire license from all of the music licensees THEN it can only be sold under specific conditions. Thus, Apple can't just decide to open brick and mortar record stores to sell iTunes tracks in when they feel like it.

Cutting to the chase, there is only one Amazon MP3 store on a device, and as they are distributing their content over a new channel (The Sprint 3G network)...

We know this. Itunes managed to make its licensing deals work over 3g and hopefully amazon is able to do the same thing. There, now is that really such a bad thing to say or ask?

Also we don't know if the phone can download files from the browser which may make this whole thing a worthless discussion as you may be able to just download it through the browser just like from a PC.
    We know this. Itunes managed to make its licensing deals work over 3g and hopefully amazon is able to do the same thing. There, now is that really such a bad thing to say or ask?

Also we don't know if the phone can download files from the browser which may make this whole thing a worthless discussion as you may be able to just download it through the browser just like from a PC.
    I give up. You are arguing over how "bad" this is when you don't understand why this is...still. No offense...I can't explain it to you any better. Google "music licensing" and clear out an hour or so to do this subject justice.
    I give up. You are arguing over how "bad" this is when you don't understand why this is...still. No offense...I can't explain it to you any better. Google "music licensing" and clear out an hour or so to do this subject justice.

/shrug I said it would be nice, nothing more. If Apple managed to get the agreements to do this Amazon may be able to as well. Do you disagree?
    Um Apple has a bit more pull in the music industry....esp with how many millions of iPhones out on the market right now?

Yeah, just a bit more pull currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantCalibre View Post
    Geez is every shortcoming of this phone going to be blown out of proportion? Only 8GB storage, HELLA LAME! No 3G music downloads, HELLA LAME! Not coming out until June 6, HELLA LAME! It doesn't come in sparkly pink color, HELLA LAME!

That said, I'm of the opinion that this device looks sweet and has a dozen HELLA AWESOME features for every HELLA LAME one that's been brought up.
    regardless of what the pre can or can't do over 3g, if you say "HELLA" one more time, i'm gonna......be cool and let the mods handle it this time
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Please, continue *****ing, but direct it towards the record labels, not toward Sprint, Amazon or Palm. It's the record labels who are convinced that treating customers who legitimately want to purchase their music like criminals is a better business practice than adapting to technology.

Hopefully there will be a good bit-torrent app that can be side-loaded to download from 3G. It'll just be one more thing to show how pirates have a better media experience than legitimate purchasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Please, continue *****ing, but direct it towards the record labels, not toward Sprint, Amazon or Palm. It's the record labels who are convinced that treating customers who legitimately want to purchase their music like criminals is a better business practice than adapting to technology.

Hopefully there will be a good bit-torrent app that can be side-loaded to download from 3G. It'll just be one more thing to show how pirates have a better media experience than legitimate purchasers.
    Maybe Sprint will use this as their new slogan: "Sprint - the clear choice of music pirates everywhere!"
    I don't really think it is the record labels holding it up. If they need permission ok, but what possible reason could a record label have for saying NO to music over 3g but YES to music over Wifi. Did the maker of my Wifi router have to get permission from a record label to distribute music over it? How about my ISP? Don't think so. A ton of music streams over 3g.

What reason would a record company care how you send it? A purchased song means the same $$ to them no matter what network.

It's far more likely it's a network capacity issue. And if it has anything to do with Amazon and the record companies, it's probobly that they are unwilling to pay Sprint a subsidy for use of the network. I bet At&t and Apple have some kind of deal where the record label subsidizes the bandwidth costs through some kind of profit sharing.

The bad part is I'm really leaning towards ditching my Sero for this phone. So my old "unlimited" data plan isn't unlimited enough, and neither is the new, twice as expensive one. Sheesh
    This argument is moot. Sprint won't do anything until they can.

The REAL end of story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captweez View Post
    I don't really think it is the record labels holding it up. If they need permission ok, but what possible reason could a record label have for saying NO to music over 3g but YES to music over Wifi. Did the maker of my Wifi router have to get permission from a record label to distribute music over it? How about my ISP? Don't think so. A ton of music streams over 3g.

What reason would a record company care how you send it? A purchased song means the same $$ to them no matter what network.

It's far more likely it's a network capacity issue. And if it has anything to do with Amazon and the record companies, it's probobly that they are unwilling to pay Sprint a subsidy for use of the network. I bet At&t and Apple have some kind of deal where the record label subsidizes the bandwidth costs through some kind of profit sharing.
    You have to understand that record labels aren't saying "no" necessarily. But it's not their imperative to seek and secure the licenses for the entirety of the Amazon store and present them to any distribution network neatly gift-wrapped in a bow.

I mean, Apple is STILL trying to secure licenses for a lot of acts, most notably the Beatles. Yes, you can buy a Beatles CD, rip it, and transfer it to your iPod legally, but THAT IS A SEPARATE LICENSE. That's what people aren't getting. Apple Corps./The Beatles have separate criteria for giving each digital license, which is why there is a Beatles Rock band, but no Beatles on iTunes, yet covers of Beatles songs on iTunes.

The legal issues behind digital music distribution and clearances aren't easy waters to navigate for any content provider, regardless of the "stroke" they have. It took Sprint quite some time to amass the catalog for the Sprint music store, and it will take time to get the Amazon MP3 store fully up for distribution over the Sprint network as well.
  16.    #56  
    I thought this was the NOW network?
    haha..no worries. I didn't mean it as an overal storage capacity. I meant that with only 8gb and people having vast libraries of music and media, it'll probably be common that many will have their Pre's at capacity already with media, work files, programs and so on. To be able to download music on the fly, you'd actually have to have capacity remaining on the Pre. So spontaneous downloading might not happen all to often unless one deletes content beforehand.

So no old argument resurrection here.
    7.4 of 8GB = much less?

For the record, plenty of people fill up 16GB iPhones and phones with 8 or 16GB microSD cards too.

Wait....disregard. You win. We've already had one resurrection of this "hella lame" argument today. Please not another.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    Maybe Sprint will use this as their new slogan: "Sprint - the clear choice of music pirates everywhere!"
    LOL! I have no intentions of using the Amazon MP3 store. I have all my music on my computer.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    d94 who has the Pre, claims in another thread that he is able to download music from amazon over both 3G and WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    d94 who has the Pre, claims in another thread that he is able to download music from amazon over both 3G and WiFi.
    The Pre has not been released yet though. They might lock it down on the 6th.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast