Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    they have an uphill battle as it is because cdma has that crippling problem of no simultaneous data and voice. For a multi-tasking os this is going to be painful for those who switch to sprint and did not know this ahead of time. All these "hella lame" features may be blown out of proportion, but they are things that could have easily been flushed out prior to release. When you are the underdog you don't have the luxury of people accepting mistakes. Apple can release something half finished and people will still buy it up in hordes, palm does not have that brand loyalty. They cannot afford being shortsighted.
    +1......exactly
    And what, exactly, is "hella lame"? Is that worse than "f'ing lame" or "damn lame"?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I don't think it's a bad deal. The last thing I need is for their network to get so bogged down (see AT&T's) that regular browsing it's a frustrating affair.

This goes for Slingplayer functionality: doesn't anyone see the huge impact all that video streaming will do to a wireless network, regardless of how speedy it is? As much wireless tech has progressed, it's still no match (yet) for hard wired networks.
    Stop making excuses for decisions like this. It's not like all 49 million of Sprint's customers are buying Pre's and all slinging/youtube-ing at the same. A lot of Sprint phones already come with Sprint music/Youtube functionality and people download tracks over EVDO all day and the network hasn't fallen asunder.

What do you think consumes bandwidth more, downloading a 5MB song from Amazon.com or streaming internet radio for hours (like with Pandora) or streaming Youtube over EVDO or movie trailers? So what's their excuse for leaving the rest in and only excluding mp3 downloads over EVDO??

What's worse is that you shouldn't be using ATT's crap 3G network as precedence for Sprint to do the same !!
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    I think someone already mentioned that this limitation might be due to Amazon's licensing restrictions and not Sprint and concerns over network congestion.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I am using a LG rumor, so upgrading to a Pre will be heaven. I have never flown first class, so I really cannot complain about all the shortcomings. I am sure though that once I get use to the Pre I will have many of the same complaints as others.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I think someone already mentioned that this limitation might be due to Amazon's licensing restrictions and not Sprint and concerns over network congestion.
    Ding ding ding.

This is Sprint's first device with the AMAZON MP3 store which has a much larger catalog and different DRM (read: none) than the Sprint store.

You guys do understand that music has to be licensed for ANY specific distribution channel it's sold on to be legal, yeah?
    I sure hope it's amazon's and not sprints. The only reason I would even download direct to my Pre is if I'm out and about and needed something now. Otherwise I'll download to my computer and load it up the normal way. Besides, with much less than 8gb available, it'll probably be a rarity there's enough room to download anything. Makes me wonder if they hide enough storage so updates always have room to download. Would suck if you got a pop up that said you need to make space in order for Palm to download an update to your phone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    people still buy music??
    Is this really that big of a deal?
    I have the capability on my iPhone and don't think I've ever downloaded one song over 3G..
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Besides, with much less than 8gb available, it'll probably be a rarity there's enough room to download anything. Makes me wonder if they hide enough storage so updates always have room to download. Would suck if you got a pop up that said you need to make space in order for Palm to download an update to your phone.
    7.4 of 8GB = much less?

For the record, plenty of people fill up 16GB iPhones and phones with 8 or 16GB microSD cards too.

Wait....disregard. You win. We've already had one resurrection of this "hella lame" argument today. Please not another.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    WTF we can do this with other Sprint phones over 3g....come on Palm and Sprint....so much for the NOW network.
    do you wear jordans too?
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    Besides, with much less than 8gb available, it'll probably be a rarity there's enough room to download anything. Makes me wonder if they hide enough storage so updates always have room to download. Would suck if you got a pop up that said you need to make space in order for Palm to download an update to your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by supervillain View Post
    people still buy music??
    I know, right? I guess it's cool to be able to buy a song stuck in your head when you're out driving or not home, but with subscription services and the, uh, other methods available, I'm shocked so many people still use things like iTunes or Amazon.
    It's sad how this is slowly starting to turn out to be another Instink: a real turd. Regardless of whether I buy music or not, this was Sprint's/Palm's moment to, not only catch up, but flat out pull away from ATT/Apple. Sadly some things will never change and likely this phone won't make a minor dent in Apple's dominance.
    Phone history with Sprint since April 2001: Kyocera QCP-2035, LG Touchpoint 1100, Samsung i500, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Treo 755p, HTC Mogul, Blackberry 8830, Samsung A900M, Motorola ic902, Blackberry Curve 8330, Samsung Instinct, HTC Touch, Treo 800w, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Motorola i9, Treo Pro (personal)/Iphone 3G 16GB (gone to make room for Pre), Palm Pre, blackberry tour, iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Wow I can't believe how *****y people get over everything. The reason why you can't download .mp3s over 3g is because you're not using 3g your using 4G to download them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I don't think it's a bad deal. The last thing I need is for their network to get so bogged down (see AT&T's) that regular browsing it's a frustrating affair.

This goes for Slingplayer functionality: doesn't anyone see the huge impact all that video streaming will do to a wireless network, regardless of how speedy it is? As much wireless tech has progressed, it's still no match (yet) for hard wired networks.
    So explain why you can stream video all day on your phone using the SprintTV app, if this is a bandwith issue.
    ITS NOT A BANDWIDTH ISSUE OBVIOUSLY.

Jesus, every phone prior has the sprint music store which can do it fine.

This obviously sounds like a limitation of the Amazon store currently.

Perhaps it will be upgraded later.

ENOUGH.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    It's not a data issue sprint's aircards can download whatever they want on the same network. This debunks any kind of network issue on.
    Whatever the reason, it is a valid complaint since competitors can do it.

Shouldn't be a deal breaker but still a valid complaint. Gotta love how some people can't handle anything negative about the phone. I don't think people are saying it is a deal breaker just that its stupid to not include basic functions that other phones already allow.

Sort of like if we can't download apps to the phone and install them over 3g. Other phones can figure out how to do it, so should Palm.
    Let me see.. I have WiFi access at home and at work (the two places where I spend most of my time)... seems to me that should be sufficient.
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    it's not a big issue. just go use wifi you whiners.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast