1.    #1  
    I have a question... I can't take advantage of the $199 price, not till Nov 2009. I'm a Premier Customer. I don't want to pay $550 for the Pre... a friend of mine who (for some unknown,godforsaken reason) LOVES her Rumor, is no longer under contract and due an upgrade from Sprint.

My question is, would I have a problem if she goes to Sprint and buys the phone (but doesn't get it activated in the store) and then gives it to me? Could I simply activate it and not have a problem?

She has no desire to get a Pre right now - but will later in the year. I of course would be giving her the $199 to get the phone. Later in Nov, when I'm off contract, if she wants a Pre or any other phone, I'd reverse the favor.

So should this "plan" work for me, or would Sprint somehow associate the new Pre under HER cell phone number? If they do, what should I do next?

Thanks
    She has to activate it (well someone does before it leaves) but I'm assuming she could ESN swap back to her rumor and you could swap to the Pre.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Easy, she logs into her account online and swaps ESN's back to her rumor.

She hands you the Pre.

You login to YOUR account on Sprint. Activate the Pre on your line.

You realize that you're forgoing the Mail-In-Rebate because it would have to be active on her line for 30 days to qualify.

Therefore your total cost would be $299, unless you convince her to buy from Best Buy....
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    I think if you are a premier customer and your contract has gone through >12 months, you CAN take advantage of $199.

My two year contract ends in Oct of 2009, and Im a premier customer, sprint robot told me I will be able to buy it for $199.
    At the very least, your plan must be compatible with the Pre. I'm assuming you're not a SERO customer. With that, it should be done.
    One limitation to this is that in order to buy/activate the Pre, your friend would have to get a qualifying Everything plan. And, I'd not be too certain that she'll be able to switch back afterward, if she wants. I was thinking of doing the same with my wife's line (completely separate from mine), but the concern would be that should would lose her outstanding plan in doing so...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    My wife and I both have Centros and can't upgrade to another 2 year plan until January '09. What is stopping me from downgrading my Centro to voice only (to save $$), adding a Pre (including req'd data plan) as a new line to a family plan? This would allow me to get a Pre this summer for the 2-year plan discounted price.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    My wife and I both have Centros and can't upgrade to another 2 year plan until January '09. What is stopping me from downgrading my Centro to voice only (to save $$), adding a Pre (including req'd data plan) as a new line to a family plan? This would allow me to get a Pre this summer for the 2-year plan discounted price.
    All the phones have to be on the all everything plan in a family plan.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev View Post
    All the phones have to be on the all everything plan in a family plan.
    Everything DATA.... Minor but important detail...
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Was thinking of just using my second line that is eligible for the $199 now. Get the phone and activate it on the main line instead. Sprint is acting like they cant give me 24 days credit on the main line that is eligible on 7/1/09. I already have an Everything plan 1500 due to an Instinct on the third line.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Yeah they are doing the same thing with me. They will not budge on the July 1st date. No biggy, I have to wait my turn, just kind of surprised me cause before this they would cut my loose even 2 months prior.